Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my 04 B headlight that has 2 bulbs to a DX headlight with 1 bulb. I have no problem hardwiring this but I was wondering if there is a jumper harness available that would prevent me from cutting any stock wires.
Alot of you guys went from 2 to 1 headlight, what did you do to wire it?

Thanks Mike

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I know the o5 and 06 connectors were the same for both lights, maybe the 04 has the same connector also. Have you tried it yet?

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Yes you can use the DX wire harness with one bulb to replace the 2 bulb wire harness. Direct plug in - I don't have the part number handy but I belive it was around $15+- from Zanotti's.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
My D headlight came with a two wires/two clips and plugged in perfectly.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Because there was no light option in 04 there's no connection under the left cover like the 05's and newer. I used a connector from good old Radio Shack to make the connection in the same place the factory did. All you have to do is high beam to high beam, low to low and BOTH ground wires to the single ground on the bike.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have to cut the two plugs off and connect the wires to the DX plug. I was hoping for a OE solution but this is no problem to make work. Thanks for the ideas and if anyone else has more input keep it coming.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
956 Posts
Exactly right. The DX light will have a pigtail long enough to reach to under the left side cover. That's where i cut my stock wiring and cut the factory plug off the light pigtail and installed a connector. Or, you could get a factory connector to match the one on the light wire and install that into the bikes wiring.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean purple Doc. It will be black as your stealth light.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
I was thinking you nabbed the purple headlight setup off of eBay, for a buy it now of $120 that I was looking at... I went back to it a few minutes later and someone had snapped it up.

BTW, the factory DX headlight connector should the same as the taillight connector... let me know if you need the part numbers.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
07DX said:
You shouldn't have to cut any factory wiring. Just get the right tail from the dealer...
au contraire... there is no factory pigtail from the dealer that would work because he has an '04, not equipped with a headlight harness connector under the side cover.

·
Registered
248 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
au contraire... there is no factory pigtail from the dealer that would work because he has an '04, not equipped with a headlight harness connector under the side cover.
And THAT ladies and gentlemen... explains why he has 4149 more post than me. :D I stand corrected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts