Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VRSCDX
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know, do a search. I searched but not a really a final conclusion on the 2 tires. I currently have the Metz 260 and they're worn down. I got about 10K out of them so not too bad. Here are my questions...

- is the avon 250 REALLY wider than the Metz 260
- how's the performance on the Avon compared to the Metz
- how's the wear on the Avon? Better or worse than the Metz

Thanks!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Lux has had both, and now swears by Avons. He's getting over 11k from the Avons compared to the 8-9k he was getting from Metz.
jebhuling ran Metz on his '08 AWA and now swears by Avons. He got 8k out of the Metz and gets well over 10k on the Avons. Jeb rides very aggressively so his 10k are hard balls to the wall miles.
Both state the Avons grip better as well.

·
VRSCDX
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lux has had both, and now swears by Avons. He's getting over 11k from the Avons compared to the 8-9k he was getting from Metz.
jebhuling ran Metz on his '08 AWA and now swears by Avons. He got 8k out of the Metz and gets well over 10k on the Avons. Jeb rides very aggressively so his 10k are hard balls to the wall miles.
Both state the Avons grip better as well.
any idea on the width issue? i saw people claim that the avons are wider than the metz???

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
any idea on the width issue? i saw people claim that the avons are wider than the metz???
They are pretty close, and it probably depends on whether you have an 8 inch or a 8.5 inch wheel (8 is stock). I think the Metz comes out slightly wider on an 8 inch wheel - but not by much. I am not sure anyone has ever measured the two on a 8.5 though.

·
'04 1300
3,070 Posts
I know this doesn't help for the wide tire bikes, but my 200 Avon is slightly narrower in overall with than the last 4-5 Metzelers I've had. It's finally eliminated the slight rubbing I could never get rid of, in spite of a lot of grinding on the saddlebag supports.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i was under the impression the Avon is wider on the 8 inch rim than the Metz because the Metz is supposed to be on an 8.5 inch minimum rim and sits higher instead of wider. and the Avon is recommended for a 8” minimum rim a sit’s a little flatter.

I’m running the Metz now but planning to give the Avon’s a try next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts