Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in ordering a new rear tire for my 03 V-Rod. I was thinking of the Avon rear tire. What issues will I have with modifying my bike for this to run smoothly and look good. Will I have to trim the Upper belt guard? Will this tire fit the stock rear wheel?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
purevenom said:
I am interested in ordering a new rear tire for my 03 V-Rod. I was thinking of the Avon rear tire. What issues will I have with modifying my bike for this to run smoothly and look good. Will I have to trim the Upper belt guard? Will this tire fit the stock rear wheel?
If you Buy the Avon It night rub atop of your fender, as the Avon is taller than the Metz. I have the Metz and my bike is lowerd 1 5/8", on two up riding with a hard bump my metz rubs.

Would buy the MEtz if I was you :2cents:

·
Registered
439 Posts
riverrattcom said:
If you Buy the Avon It night rub atop of your fender, as the Avon is taller than the Metz. I have the Metz and my bike is lowerd 1 5/8", on two up riding with a hard bump my metz rubs.

Would buy the MEtz if I was you :2cents:
I will be purchasing a rear tire in the next month and want to upgrade to a 200. I'm glad to see your feedback on the Metz. It appears that it is a better choice for me as well. Thanks for the info.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Doesn't the Avon reduce the effectiveness of a 28-Tooth pulley? I thought I remember hearing that it would reduce a 28-tooth to the equivalent of a 29-tooth and if you have a 30-tooth even worse.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Avon Venom 200 tire

The height of the Avon is identical to the height of the stock tire. I also lowered my bike an 1 5/8" and if I hit a hard bumb I do rub the tire slightly. I weigh 230lbs so if you are a lot smaller you may not have this problem at all. If you are concerned then since the Metz is a little shorter than the stock Dunlop or the Avon so it may help you avoid the possibilty of rubbing. I looked at both before I bought the Avon and on my set up the Avon simply looked better than the Metz. As for the Avon 200 reducing the effectiveness of the 28 tooth pully I cannot imagine how but I would be very interested to know if that is possible.

Yes you must trim the belt guard
Yes it fits on the stock rim

Pictures of this are in the gallery

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know a thing about the Avon.
I put on the 200 Metz.
I ride almost exclusively two-up. I'm 260 and my wife is 170.
430 lbs almost always bottomed out over RR tracks, etc. with stock shocks.
I replaced the stock 13" shocks with Progressive 440's (13") and I have yet to bottom out - and I tried since just to test it out.
I've also noticed that the Metz is not perfectly semi-circular. It's VERY slightly, almost imperceptibly, "U" shaped, and that bit of flattening may be what reduces the overall diameter. You can feel it with your hand better than you can see it with your eye.
That may have been done to make it fit the stock wheel, but I don't know.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
For those who have bottemed out.
What did you have the shocks set at?150lbs me and 130 for the mrs,and I haven't bottemed out 2up yet with the stock shocks set at 1,with the Dunlop.Don't ask me how,but I don't.I'm not interested in the Metz cuz,it is a harder compound.I like the Avon cuz it has some stickiness to it,and has a cooler tread pattern.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
vrodvinny said:
For those who have bottemed out.
What did you have the shocks set at?150lbs me and 130 for the mrs,and I haven't bottemed out 2up yet with the stock shocks set at 1,with the Dunlop.Don't ask me how,but I don't.I'm not interested in the Metz cuz,it is a harder compound.I like the Avon cuz it has some stickiness to it,and has a cooler tread pattern.
Thats great I just got the Metz, not mounted yet wanted the AVON but for $155 couldn't beat it

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
This has been discussed before -- did a search and couldn't find it. The Venom (Avon 200) does in fact have a higher profile. I will require modding -- cutting -- the fender. A local guy I ran into at the dealership mounted the Avon and said the same thing -- he had to trim the fender. I seriously considered the Venom but decide on the Metz.
Additionally, with the higher profile, the Avon will negate the 28T by half -- in other words, 3.5% vice 7% of the original 30T setup.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Are you guys talking about the inner or outer fender?

·
Registered
180 Posts
vrodvinny said:
I put the Avon on about a year ago. I had to grind about a 1/16" off of each fender strut to keep it from rubbing. The Avon tread design extends wider than what the Mez does. BTW there is plenty of strut to grind on, no worries on weakening, but some people I sure don't like a using a grinder on thier VRod.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
"Additionally, with the higher profile, the Avon will negate the 28T by half -- in other words, 3.5% vice 7% of the original 30T setup."

Since the Avon is the same height as the stock Dunlop, both are 55/18's, how can it negate the 28T in any way? How do you measure this? I guess I could see how the Metz being a lower profile, 50/18, than stock could possibly increase it's effectivness but I don't understand how any tire that is the same height as the stock could have that affect. Please help me understand.

P.S. I did remove the my fender struts completly and I had already trimed my inner fender when I originally took off the ugly black thing.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
badrod while the Avon is the same 55 remember that is not a measurement but rather a percentage of the width. So in effect a 50x200 is the same height as a 55x180 while a 55x210 would be taller since the height is 55% of the 210 width. Tires are a language all their own.

Max

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thank you Max

Thank you, You guys gotta remember that although I am a handsome and powerful man I am not necessarly a smart one. I know very little about this kind of stuff but I continue to learn a lot on this forum. So does that mean that my very cool looking tire might actually be making me go slower? If so I'm going to be sick, Jeff

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
badrod while it may hurt the acceleration of the bike by a very small amount the top speed of the bike will be increased by a very small amount. And I guess I'm one of those just SOL since I'm neither powerful or good looking but I did sleep at a holiday inn one time.

PS the parking lot does count right? :)

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
VROD AL said:
I will be purchasing a rear tire in the next month and want to upgrade to a 200. I'm glad to see your feedback on the Metz. It appears that it is a better choice for me as well. Thanks for the info.
I just had the opportunity to ride a V Rod with the Metz 200. It looks great and seems more stable in a straight line - but if you like throwing the bike round corners forget it - stick with the 180.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
vrodvinny said:
Actually I did it today, you have to trim the strut mounts. The fende has two long pieces the attach to the frame and the shock bolts on them. When I got on the bike the tire almost rubbed the strut piece. You can remove them very easily, and leave them off if you don't run a passenger. You need to trim these when you take the dog a$$ off. So now I have to cut about 1/4 of teh inside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have seen alot of talk about going to a 200 series tire. I know that the 200 looks a little cooler, with its wider profile, but this will change the way the bike handles. Go to a race track and look at the tires these guys are useing. You will notice that they are all running 180 series tires (at least the competative ones). There is a reason for this. So if you are wondering which one to buy then ask yourself which application will best suite your needs, looks or performance. :soapbox: :hmm:

p.s. It's hard to tell the difference between a 200 series tire and a 180 while going down the road. Even when your in the back of the pack! :sinister:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts