1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
It all seems just a little silly. My Avon Cobras have been over to the edges in the mountains and just today 130 Mph + with absolutely NO PROBLEMS. I don't need the word chrome on the side of my tire, but if it gives me 10% more tread life in the middle that would be great if I don't have to pay 10% more for it. The whole chrome name thing is just marketing B/S, which IMHO Avon really doesn't even have to go there - they already have the street cred, with their old tire, and I'll attest to it.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but the old tyre is discontinued,get over it, move on.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucky I got mine 4 weeks ago and my mate got his last Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or unlucky if the new one is better, of course no one knows yet that's why I asked the question:banghead:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let’s hope it is, I suppose there’ll be a price rise to cover the new word and snake skin pattern . Woo hoo

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Price rise to cover the increasing raw materials cost most likely.Plenty of other brands if they don't deliver value.
Look at it this way, bet you wouldn't buy one if it was sat in front of you with no logo's or branding on it .Plain label tyre you'd think cheap shit.Chrome just distinguishes it from the predecessor.It's not a conspiracy like streetroddude thinks,he thinks that about everything but we make allowances for him.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
After having an AVON 160/80 rear tire separate badly on my Triumph to the tune of 1/4" in the mountains making the bike very hard to turn to the right (NOT GOOD) I looked on the NHTSA website and found there was a recall safety warning on the same type of tire, different size, many accidents. I called AVON and told them I had the same exact separation on the next sized tire and they really didn't want to hear about it or comp me a tire or even a discount coupon. Kind of a Conspiracy then, right Tassie ? If I got hurt or killed by it maybe that would have helped ! All I can say is I've had great luck with the Avons since then but yea, I'm a little nervous about "improvements" in a known tire I've been using especially with a silly new "chrome" name slapped on it. Might be great, I'll let others test it while I've got a couple thousand miles left on my rear tire.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After having an AVON 160/80 rear tire separate badly on my Triumph to the tune of 1/4" in the mountains making the bike very hard to turn to the right (NOT GOOD) I looked on the NHTSA website and found there was a recall safety warning on the same type of tire, different size, many accidents. I called AVON and told them I had the same exact separation on the next sized tire and they really didn't want to hear about it or comp me a tire or even a discount coupon. Kind of a Conspiracy then, right Tassie ? If I got hurt or killed by it maybe that would have helped ! All I can say is I've had great luck with the Avons since then but yea, I'm a little nervous about "improvements" in a known tire I've been using especially with a silly new "chrome" name slapped on it. Might be great, I'll let others test it while I've got a couple thousand miles left on my rear tire.
They probably looked up your burnout record...………..instant disqualification.
I've given up on the Avons and gone back to stock Michelins.Had a Cobra develop a split across the centre tread area then they got too expensive to import.I'd like to try the new ones though.

Anyone think the last of the old Cobra tyre as it wears out is softer than at the start or have I lost it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve had no problems with them except the centre wearing out . And yeah I’ll watch and wait for further developments.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve had no problems with them except the centre wearing out . And yeah I’ll watch and wait for further developments.

I have gone through 3 sets of cobras on street rod, definitely experienced problems with premature failure. 2 reasons I never paid attention to production date and was slack on checking pressures and paid the penalty. I no longer purchase tires without lookin at production dates.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Now there's some good advise, pj007 especially buying in person and if you order them online ask the seller for the Production date before they ship it - no one needs to buy an out of date dried out tire for a 120+ Hp bike that can run 130+ Mph, tires are no place to save $. I had a front tire on a Gold Wing get punctured (tube type) and blow out on me at only 45 Mph two up, we almost had a head on with an oncoming car on a two lane - if it wasn't for my off road racing instincts of planting a foot and throwing the bike over to the right I"d still be dead ( along with the ex wife ) ( she never rode again :). Check your tires, air pressures, and replace before they need it. Your life depends on it.

·
'04 1300
3,056 Posts
Just got my first ride in on a set of Cobra Chromes. Had the previous model before that. So far, so good, but I only put about 10 miles on them. They do seem to ride a bit better than the prior model, but mine were pretty old, so it could just be the age of the rubber.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi can anyone recommend white wall tyres for a Vrod with 120/70 19 front and 180/55 18 rear. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts