Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
SAD but they'll open it back up in Chiner, India or Thailand where rubber is plentiful and labor is slave labor cheap. Too many taxes and too high labor cost in the UK to keep tires cost competitive with others like Shinko. Having discovered the Metzler Cruisetec with the hard center compound I won't be buying AVON rears again anyhow - still running an AVON front, very happy with it, hope the Cruisetec front is as good or better. (y):cool:

·
Registered
668 Posts
AD but they'll open it back up in Chiner, India or Thailand
"The plant is operated by Cooper Tire and Rubber, itself a subsidiary of the tyre giant Goodyear, and previously saw cutbacks in 2018 when the plant ceased producing car and SUV tyres as production moved to Europe. Then production was moved to Siberia,"

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Holy Crap Batman !! Siberia ? So slave labor again ? I'm thinkin' this time all imprisoned Russian dissidents and Communist system deniers are sent to Siberia and are now making our tires, instead of just shoveling snow like in the old days ( in lieu of smashing rocks with sledge hammers in warmer climates ) - unfuckingbelieveable, yet unfortunately believable. Average folks vehicles and tires are made globally in the most economically disadvantaged countries - to keep the cost affordable. Not everyone can buy a $ 100,000 USA made pickup truck, SUV or a Coal powered electric car. I still remember the days of the affordable Japanese car or M/C that got twice the gas mileage and reliability of US crap wagon gas guzzlers - Now it's South Korea, or India ( Royal Enfield ). H-D parts made in Chiner - And so it goes - :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not sure how it will affect those of you that love your Avon Cobra's and Venom's but a facility in England that is owned by Goodyear/Cooper and makes Avon labeled tires is closing
I was just pricing tires 240-18 about $275, 180-18 $278 and a 120-19 $202. I don't understand why in order to make a profit at these prices you have to move to a third world country? Greed?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I don't understand why in order to make a profit at these prices you have to move to a third world country? Greed?
Partly - Profit margin and trying to be competitive with other tire companies that have already gone overseas and can now undercut the price in the marketplace of their tires made in a more expensive country. Economics 101. Clothes made in Africa & India same thing lower labor costs - China builds everything with super cheap and often slave labor - try beating that and they have no EPA or workers rights or unions. They win. We never should have done business with them, that was caused by Greedy Politicians - so yea, that Greed thing, with a dose of exploitation. :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sad since they make best tires for VRod. I’ve knocked my foot pegs off going into corners before I can pull out and fly. The tires hold the best. Guess going to have to upsize rear tire it’s easy and cheaper than Cobra 🐍 Avon tires are just the grab I’m worrries about

·
Registered
110 Posts
one reason they only maid those tires 🛞 for VRods no other bike 🏍 uses them really. If you up size to fatter tire there’s a mod online to show you how. It’s really shaven of two bolts and set if I remember just look for mod on rear tire and save money plus looks better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts