Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine has told me that he runs aviation fuel in his Harley and that it runs so much better; higher octane. He also said that it's better for the engine in that it will ignite at lower pressure and produces less wear and strain on the engine while increasing performance. Anyone else ever hear of this? :lamer:

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
It does run better but it also runs hotter. Used to run it in my racecar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spaz said:
It does run better but it also runs hotter. Used to run it in my racecar.
That's what I thought, but he said it actually runs cooler because it will ignite at a lower temp. Takes less to get it to burn, thus reducing the wear on the engine. Man I know I should have paid attention in shop class when I was a kid.......

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I used to run AvGas back when I had an air cooled bike and it did seem to idle better. I never noticed a huge difference in hp though.

I work at an airport and we sell 100LL which I've been told it's closer to 108 octane but it has Lead in it (100LL = Low Lead) so with lead in it I'm not too sure about it being good for the engine. I've never tried it in the V. I do think the exhaust smells good :D

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
BRUTUS32 said:
That's what I thought, but he said it actually runs cooler because it will ignite at a lower temp. Takes less to get it to burn, thus reducing the wear on the engine. Man I know I should have paid attention in shop class when I was a kid.......
The flash point on Avgas is lower than regular pump fuel, not sure if it's a big difference though.

If it would be alright to run it I'd be using it all the time cuz I can get the left over sump fuel for free :thumb: other than the sump fuel it's running $4.29 a gallon here.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Cheatin said:
I went 202mph on a stock vrod with avgas in it...
did you borrow that bike from DMX :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lakedrunk said:
The flash point on Avgas is lower than regular pump fuel, not sure if it's a big difference though.

If it would be alright to run it I'd be using it all the time cuz I can get the left over sump fuel for free :thumb: other than the sump fuel it's running $4.29 a gallon here.

When I was in the Army and stopped for fuel for the helicopter we would put the fuel on the govt. credit card. We once stopped at a small airport gassed the bird up and the card was expired. Well needless to say I sure as hell wasn't going to put it on my credit card.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheatin said:

I hope you strapped your arse down cause if you didn't I bet you looked like a scarf; only hanging onto the handle bars.
:bolt

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
BRUTUS32 said:
When I was in the Army and stopped for fuel for the helicopter we would put the fuel on the govt. credit card. We once stopped at a small airport gassed the bird up and the card was expired. Well needless to say I sure as hell wasn't going to put it on my credit card.
we've got some chinook helicopters stop in here at times and sometimes they'll get 800+ gallons of JetA and there bill can get up over 3 grand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheatin said:
I don't have a windshield on the bike, and anything over 110 mph just is uncomfortable. Way to much wind. At over a 100 it feels like my feet are going to get ripped off. I can't imagine the wind at 200. Was there a windshield on the bike also where did you do it? How long did it take to get up that fast?

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
BRUTUS32 said:
I don't have a windshield on the bike, and anything over 110 mph just is uncomfortable. Way to much wind. At over a 100 it feels like my feet are going to get ripped off. I can't imagine the wind at 200. Was there a windshield on the bike also where did you do it? How long did it take to get up that fast?
I'm afraid you were misled. He was very comfortable in his 1st class seat while the bike was in the cargo hold.

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
Cheatin said:
Hey you must be that guy everyone is talking about... super cheatin or santa cheatin or something like that....:D

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
My-V-Extension said:
Hey you must be that guy everyone is talking about... super cheatin or santa cheatin or something like that....:D
Yeah, I heard about him, some kind of forum legend or some such shit :notworth:

·
Registered
225 Posts
AVGAS has lead in it. The deposit can cause an issue with the tranmission gears and the engine it self.

I have a plane with a Rotax engine and it runs on car gas and avgas. It likes the car gas better. With the avgas I have to change the oil twice as much, teardown the engine to check reduction gears and crank for deposits. Also we use TCP to break down the lead. In addition, I also have to run the engine at 75% or better because of the lead. To top it all off premium car gas runs about $2.50 and 100LL runs at $4.50 a gallon.

Can't you just add octane boost I think it maybe cheaper and better for the bike.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Not nearly as good as Tiki Lamp Oil. Ask johnny hotfoot.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
BRUTUS32 said:
The temperature at which the fuel ingites in cylinders doesn't necessarily save wear on the engine. The most dangerous condition is detonation which occurs because the fuel ingites spontaneously before the spark plug fires. Octane rating is a measure of the temperature rise that the stratified charge will take before it ignites. Av gas has a higher octane rating but it is still unleaded. There is a point at which spending more to buy higher octane fuel only wastes money because the extra octane points may not get you more power. Most of today's engines are built with tougher valve guides and what ever other parts used to be lubricated by tetraethyl lead so more octane doesn't change that situation.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
DO NOT RUN AVGAS OR LEADED RACE FUEL IN A BIKE WITH 02's. Even 1/4 gallon in a five gallon tank will kill them. QUICK less than 10 miles. It will not harm a motor but it will also not produce more power. The higher the octane the slower it burns. This in a nutshell means the bike run rich and you get fuel in the oil and the will do much more harm than any power you may pick up. The Vrod motor is made to run on 91 octane. Anything more is a waste of money. You would pick up more power running E-85 and tunning for it. About 4% increase in power. ITs also better for the enviroment.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts