Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through the Parts Catalog I noticed that there are 2 different part numbers for the Auxiliary Volume (center section of the exhaust system) Domestic part # is 65151-01 and HD International part # is 64929-01. Does anyone know what the difference is? I have spare ones of each type but after looking at them I can't see what the difference is.
GT - UK

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
probably the CATs, my middle bit has some kind of honeycomb inserts in one end, which I assume is the Cat converters.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mr-vrodder is correct, I think some of the exports have cats in the center section. Since the main ingredient of a cat is palladium I think a quick price check would verify that since it is a little more expensive per ounce then gold is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, your right. These photos are looking into the exit end of the center exhaust section on a UK bike. The equivalent USA part is empty. There is no legal requirement in the UK for a catalysed exhaust - if that is what it is. The "mesh" only seems to be about an inch deep.

GT - UK

Attachments

·
Jamie
60 Posts
Max and Mr-Vrodder are correct, the difference is two 1/2 cats added at the end of the 3rd Volume (center section). There is no performance loss associated with the different parts.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
JamieMac said:
Max and Mr-Vrodder are correct, the difference is two 1/2 cats added at the end of the 3rd Volume (center section). There is no performance loss associated with the different parts.
I have the 16g SE pipes fitted from new, I don't think they have the Cats, although I have not checked.
max, what the heck is palladium??

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Palladium and Platinum are the two main ingredients of the catalyst. They reduce the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst. This catalyst aids the reaction of the CO and hydrocarbons with the remaining oxygen in the exhaust gas.

And for the most part the catalyst that I work with these days are so efficient that they cause almost no performance loss at all but you still see people butcher them. If you ever compared a good one and a bad one on a 5 gas machine believe me if you ever get tested there is no fooling the machine.

Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts