Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me, my brother recently had to have his left ankle fused together no giving him very little to no movement to move his foot up or down, this now means he is unable to change gear so does anybody know of a auto or electronic shifter that may be fitted to overcome this problem.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Can anybody help me, my brother recently had to have his left ankle fused together no giving him very little to no movement to move his foot up or down, this now means he is unable to change gear so does anybody know of a auto or electronic shifter that may be fitted to overcome this problem.
Worth contacting the NABD mate - they can help:
http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/adaptionkits.htm

Steve

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I ran the Pingle EZ shift kit on my 05 and will be running it on my 06... My trainee lost his left leg below the knee, he has a prostetic leg... He has learned how to heel shift so it's not really necessary to have a auto shift kit for your bro, it's just a matter of learning a different way of shifting...

For example, you can run a heel/toe shifter like they run on the dressers... Just something to think about, a lot cheaper to put a heel/toe shifter on then buying an auto shifter...

You have to be careful with auto shifters, they're great for up shifting but if you down shift at too high a speed, you will either lock up the rear wheel or over rev the motor and you can damage the motor... If you decide on the Pingle EZ shift, PM me, I can save you some bucks on the kit...

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
heel/toe shifter

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
I wonder if dual clutch technology will become common on motorcycles.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I wonder if dual clutch technology will become common on motorcycles.
What we need is a left hand shifter-clutch combo like Vespa had.W today's technology,FBW shouldn't be hard at all.

Then people with bum left hands will be looking for foot operated controls.:)

·
MR. DAVIDSON !
162 Posts
Electric shifter

V+H -- Made an all electric shifter for V-Rods -- Bracket and Buttons just below the left grip -- I have this unit -- I have never finished installing it -- I do not see it in their catalog any longer - maybe I bought junk - I hope not.
bike and truck trailer 11-10 008.jpg

bike and truck trailer 11-10 012.jpg

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I'm a LBKA (left below knee amputee), thanks to my Pingell Electric shifter I have ridden over 27,000 miles on my Vrod

·
Fat and Fast
223 Posts
From everything I have heard it would be great to get the pingel unit. Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy would be, and or possible group buy. Thanks

·
Fat and Fast
223 Posts
Tbones, you have helped me in the past with some issues, I really appreciate it. I pm'd you yesterday regarding the pingal shifter after I read the post. Any help with pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Tbones, you have helped me in the past with some issues, I really appreciate it. I pm'd you yesterday regarding the pingal shifter after I read the post. Any help with pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sorry bro, I didn't get a PM from you? No problem, I can get you a good deal on the Pingle EZ shift kit... Not sure what happened to your PM, I just checked my messages and I didn't get one from you... I have a couple other members wanting to get this kit, you'll be happy with it... I ran the piss out of mine for three seasons and it never gave me one lick of problem... Just be careful that you don't hit the down shift button, you can harm your motor by over revving it or you'll lock up the rear wheel :)... I set mine at 45 millseconds but you can adjust it to where you like it... I found that setting to be best for my shift point with no back firing... My shift light was set for 8500 rpms... I found that to be the optimum shifting point to stay in the power band...

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
V+H -- Made an all electric shifter for V-Rods -- Bracket and Buttons just below the left grip -- I have this unit -- I have never finished installing it -- I do not see it in their catalog any longer - maybe I bought junk - I hope not.
View attachment 160117

View attachment 160118
It's not junk. The shifter was made by Translogic in the UK for V&H. They stopped making the unit that V&H was selling which was designed to provide pushbutton speedshifting and allow you to manual shift when you wanted. They had too many problems with dialing the unit in to allow for either or mode so they dont produce that model anymore. The new one is speedshift only (no manual shift). They or V&H will service the older units like the one you have for you if its required. I had some issues getting it dialed in for speedshift and smooth manual shift but a little patience and tweeking soon resolved it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts