Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST A HEADS UP..ON THE 04 MODELS THE FUEL SOCK, IS AN INFERIOR PRODUCT. THE SOCK HAS BEEN REPLACED IN 2005. IF YOU'VE EVER EXPIERENCED THE RUNNING PROBLEM THAT I HAD, RUNS GREAT, TILL SHE WARMS UP, THEN SPITS, SPUTTERS, AND UPON ACCELERATION IT WOULD CUT-OUT, THEN LEAVING OFF THROTTLE, THE ENGINE WOULD CUT BACK IN. THIS BIKE DID THIS FOR 2 AND HALF YEARS. AND NO ONE COULD FIGURE IT OUT. THEY KEPT BLAMMING MY PIPES. HOWEVER, AFTER A FACTORY SERVICE TECH WAS CALLED IN, ANOTHER PRESSURE TEST WAS DONE, AND THE LOSS OF FUEL PRESS. WAS FOUND. THE SOCK HAS A PLASTIC DISC IN IT, WITH A HOLE FOR THE FUEL PASSEGE. THIS DISC IS FREE FLOATING. AND WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT WHILE THE BIKE AND PUMP ARE RUNNING THE FUEL BEGINS TO SLOWLY HEAT UP. AS THIS HAPPENS THE ABSORBANT PAD BEGINS TO SWELL ALLOWING THE DISC TO "FREE FLOAT", THEN GETS SUCKED UP COVERING THE SUCTION PORT, THUS CUTTING OFF FLOW, BUT JUST ENOUGH TO RESTRICT THE PRESSURE CAUSING THE LOSS OF ADEQUATE GASOLINE TO KEEP IT RUNNIG PROPERLY. THE FIX IS TO REMOVE THE PUMP ASSEMBLY, AND MANUVER THE DISC WITH THE HOLE IN PROPER PLACING TO KEEP THE SUCTION PORT OPEN, THEN STAPLE THE PLASTIC DISC THRU THE SOCK. KEEPING THE DISC FROM "FREE FLOATING" IN THE SWELLED SOCK. i thought i'd pass this on, just in case. and MAX, Thanx for bending an ear, and offering all your help. however the shop had my bike the entire time, which was the past 2 months!! But as you said it had to be fuel related. and i kept passing on the info, you were giving me, but it appears that they didnt listen!

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same here!! well, actually the dealers claimed to have it out..but, to make a long (2 yr.) story short it has been corrected, although, the entire assembly was just replaced instead of the staple. due to the fact that the techs were not aware of the sock problem, a new assembly was replaced. now the TRUE question is, did they really change the sock and or the manufactuer?!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sock

Buckeye826 said:
Yea kinda like this http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=35406&catid=searchresults&searchid=21685 and here is the thread that helped me figure it out. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68991
Mine was doing the same thing for about two years I had that fuel system out so many times and finally got it fixed.
THE PROBLEM IS.. IF I'D A LOOKED AND IF ANYONE WOULD HAVE REMEMBERED THAT POST OR THREAD, AFTER READING MY POST/THREAD ON WHAT MY V-ROD WAS DOING, I BET, I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WITHOUT MY BIKE FOR 2 MOS. IT KINDA SUCKS WHEN SOMETHING KICKS YOU IN THE ASS, AFTER THE FACT.:banghead:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20 but I think we all agreed you had a fuel system issue and this fuel system is really small and it just boggles the mind that they kept your bike that long to fix such a simple problem. It must have been in a corner and not being actually diagnosed.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
BNREAM said:
THE PROBLEM IS.. IF I'D A LOOKED AND IF ANYONE WOULD HAVE REMEMBERED THAT POST OR THREAD, AFTER READING MY POST/THREAD ON WHAT MY V-ROD WAS DOING, I BET, I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WITHOUT MY BIKE FOR 2 MOS. IT KINDA SUCKS WHEN SOMETHING KICKS YOU IN THE ASS, AFTER THE FACT.:banghead:

Yea I do remember reading your thread mainly the battery part. Sorry my Fuel Video thread was around for a few weeks sucks you didn't see it.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
I did send an email to 0992 I belive I remember reading he had the same problems

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Mine is a 2004. After a long ride, and only sometimes, and at mostly less than half a tank, under WOT, the bike bogs down at around 5-6000 rpm. If I accelerate slowly, I go all the way to 9000. Does this sound like the sock problem? Battery?

I know it's not a pinhole in the fuel hose inside the tank because it ran like a scalded dog at 1/8 tank the other day.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
MegaZ said:
Mine is a 2004. After a long ride, and only sometimes, and at mostly less than half a tank, under WOT, the bike bogs down at around 5-6000 rpm. If I accelerate slowly, I go all the way to 9000. Does this sound like the sock problem? Battery?

I know it's not a pinhole in the fuel hose inside the tank because it ran like a scalded dog at 1/8 tank the other day.

pull your system apart and look at the bottom of the filter sock it'll give you your answer

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Buckeye826 said:
pull your system apart and look at the bottom of the filter sock it'll give you your answer
I have a Rick's tank on the way. It will be a perfect time to do just that.

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
[email protected]#$....and all this time I thought my map was wrong....!!! When I really get on it just about the time Im ready to get into 2nd...it bogs for a few sec....

SMOKIN!!

Man that's fantastic info....:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
So you actually, staple the disk in the sock in line with the hole?

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
dharlow said:
So you actually, staple the disk in the sock in line with the hole?
yea look in my gallery its got a picture just how I did it

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I never had this issue before. Until now. Well it's a long story but the symptoms BNREAM stated match what happened to me the other day...

I posted this. There were no replies. I believe I might of found the culprit. Funny thing is I have a UE tank. The sock "looked" fine when I transfered it over. Guess I'll be getting a new o-ring.:banghead: I knew I should of bought two!

Biker Bill said:
Alrighty, to all the code gurus out there I have a question. My bike was running like crap (missing) above 5K yesterday, and would not pull at all over 6K with a load, although it would rev just fine to 8K+ without a load. This never happened before. I checked the codes and came up with U1255 Historic Response, B1006 Current Accessory line overvoltage, and, B1007 Current Ignition line overvoltage. Since it was missing I pulled the plugs. They looked fine. I put in new plugs for the heck of it and cleared the codes. I took it for a brief ride a few minutes ago and the ole' Rod is running like a champ!! I rechecked the codes and there are none. WTF??? Any insight?
Tks BNREAM & MAX :thumb:

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
Funny thing is I have a UE tank. The sock "looked" fine when I transfered it over. Guess I'll be getting a new o-ring
:whack: :rofl:
Ya know...I just did the same thing...another friggin o ring...

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
dharlow said:
:whack: :rofl:
Ya know...I just did the same thing...another friggin o ring...
At least I have Max's tool to fix it with. (no smart jokes please)

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
oops double post...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dunno Either!!

Max said:
Hindsight is always 20/20 but I think we all agreed you had a fuel system issue and this fuel system is really small and it just boggles the mind that they kept your bike that long to fix such a simple problem. It must have been in a corner and not being actually diagnosed.
ALL I KNEW WAS THAT THEY WERE AWAITING THE FACTORY SERVICE TECH..!?! HOWEVER, THIS WAS GOING ON FOR 2 AND A HALF YEARS!! ALL THE DEALERS WERE POINTING BLAME AT MY EXHAUST!! IF SOMEONE WOULD HAVE REALLY LOOKED INTO THIS, THEN. I WOULD NEVER HAD BEEN IN THIS MESS FROM THE START... BUT WHAT REALLY GETS ME IS THE FACT THAT H-D HAS KNOWN OF THIS BAD SOCK, AND DID NOTHING TO HELP PREVIOUS OWNERS, INSTEAD THEY JUST LET IT GO, CHANGED THEM IN 2005!! THAT JUST GOES TO SHOW ME, JUST HOW MUCH, THEY STICK TO THE WORKING CLASS. SAME AS THE COOLANT BOTTLE, I REPLACED MY CAP, ATLEAST 10 TIMES. TIL THE PARTS GUY TOLD ME ABOUT THE NEW BOTTLE. THERE AGAIN, INSTEAD OF FIXING THE PROBLEM, H-D DECIDED TO STICK IT THE OWNERS AGAIN. AND THE EXPENSE FALLS BACK ON THE CONSUMER. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A FLAW IN DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE. OH WELL, WHAT ARE YA, TO DO.

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
BNREAM - Please stop YELLING... find that caps lock button sn de-select it please! We'll all pay more attention to you. I promise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yelling

roxxley-rockets said:
BNREAM - Please stop YELLING... find that caps lock button sn de-select it please! We'll all pay more attention to you. I promise.
YOU'D BE YELLING TO, IF YOUR BIKE WAS IN A SHOP FOR 2 MOS. TILL THEY GOT THERE HEADS OUT OF THIER ASS!!.... Im just use to having to type my investigation results, accidents & incident reports in caps! as well as booking info sheets. SORRY.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts