Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daniii mounting his lowers directly to the lexon shield got me thinking. It was handy in that you could easily remove them with the shield, but the looks just seemed wrong. I wanted to move the lowers up and angle them back slightly more (the turn signals restrict how far you can cant them back). Since I never take the windshield off except to clean it, attaching it to the lexon was not important. I decided to try and mount them directly to the lower Touring Shield bracket. Below are pictures of the results.

I took a round file and filed out the squared holes on the arm so that the protuberance (can't think of another name) that the turn signal stalks screw into on the Shield brackets goes through the arms. The width of the two arm pieces is almost but no quite the same. The protuberance on the bracket is slightly wider so the plastic attachment piece for the shield does not press against the lower's arm and it will spin freely on the bracket. Because of this you need to use a spacer (got two at Lowe's) that is wider than the protuberance and puts pressure on the arm's surface. Once you do this, tightening the signal stalk down puts plenty of pressure on the arms and keeps them in place.

I think that it looks more integrated than using the Memphis brackets. It raises the lowers considerably, allows slightly more cant to them, and it puts the signals completely behind the lowers (not half and half). Also you have more range of up/down adjustment on the shield.

The negatives are. You cannot easily remove the lowers. What took a couple minutes with an Alan wrench would now take 30 minutes. Plus you still have the dull aluminum arms to contend with.

Have not tried it on the road yet. If I do not like it, I can go back to the brackets as filing a round hole in the middle of the rectangular one does not preclude the use of the original Memphis Shades brackets.

Fred

Attachments

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Cool! I thought of that, of course now that I have drilled a hole in my shield... I also discovered that the front suspension 'taps' the lowers on full compression. with my mod. Let us know how it works!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts