Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does the insurance company call it a total loss? I bought the R at $14,500 and blue book rates it at $10,000. If I read the prices right while looking for replacment parts, it will cost $3,500 in parts alone to repair, and that was just the major parts, I didn't count in fluids, seals, bolts etc..and I didn't get the price in Euro which will be charged and is normally higher. I should get my estimate later on this week, and then the wait for parts.
but, if it takes $6,000 to repair it, will the insurance just write it off as a total loss?
This is reference the R vs earth mover thread.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
I'm not sure what the insurance companies in Europe use, but over the pond here in The Federal Republic of America (formerly known as the United States of America) the insurance companies will total a bike at about 70% of the total value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
but remember things have changed and everyone is trying to save money.
be it cutting jobs or saving on pay outs.
it make good bussiness for them if they can pay out $6K instead of $10k. I just had my 2009 NRS fixed for £8K after an rtc.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I'm not sure what the insurance companies in Europe use, but over the pond here in The Federal Republic of America (formerly known as the United States of America) the insurance companies will total a bike at about 70% of the total value of the vehicle.
and they will pay you about 70% of the value of the bike when their insured wrecks it

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
My last insurance claim for a totaled Sebring paid the going rate. They looked around my area and took the average cost to replace with a like vehicle.
In your case the so called book price means little for a rare machine. You're not meant to make a profit, but you are entitled to be made whole again. Look around yourself and see what's for sale and at what price. This will tell you "cost to replace" and then you will know to accept or refuse the offer for settlement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replacement

I guess I'm a shitty Street Rod owner. I'm already looking at the replacement bike if USAA says scrap it. A nice GS from the local factory. :spank:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I haven't added up exact numbers, but I think my insurance company has paid out over $5k for repairs. That must be approaching 70% of market value, though probably not 70% of "book value."

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saw the insurance adjuster today, bike's done. It's frame is bent up on top and a couple frame welds are broke. Off the cuff cost to fix was 12,000 Euro. We'll see how much I get from the insurance and then what type of bike to buy. I saw surveilance video and the machine's scoophit it twice and then he backed up into it. RIP Friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts