Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding bikes since I was 16 without breaks. I am however new to modern bikes. When I first saw the V-rod I just knew that was the bike for me. I had a test ride in June 2002 and on my return put down a deposit. All that was left was the hard bit of telling my wife.
I waited until 2003 to get an anniversary edition and have been riding it since April of this year. Although I have had some problems, I love it! Being new to the Harley scene I assumed you chose all the options that you wanted from the parts book and Harley built the bike to your specifications. How wrong I was. On top of the £15000 I paid for the bike I have over £5000 of extras on it and a huge box of virgin odds and sods collecting dust. The sad bit is, it still looks pretty standard in comparison to others that I see in the photo galleries. I now have a hard decision to make. Do I leave the bike alone and keep it’s original livery or do I go down the custom route? What do you custom chaps do? Do you buy a basic bike and then start from scratch or do you add little and often? Help!

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
You buy as little or as much as you like, ITS YOUR BIKE!!!!

Surrey Harley has a big selection of custom parts such as wide rear wheel and swingarm kits from Ricks and performance exhaust. they built this customized VRod for a friend of mine and I must say its the "Hog's Bollocks"!

Attachments

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Don't do like me "Spent double on the first ones out" then do full Show and Go to the complete Bike.Now I'm going to redo everything including BB 250rwhp NOS Motor.
!:icon_twis

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's very hard to break the restorers mentality. I've been riding classics for 28 years or so and have had my bikes rebuilt to what is probably better than original. What I'm getting at is; in thirty or so years when I'm way past riding and my bike has moved on, will it be worth more in it's standard 100th anniversary condition or less because it has been customised beyond recognition. Would the new owner hunt high and low for all the original bits to put it back to what it once was.
Do you custom boys sell your original bits to help fund the new radical look or do you hang on to them?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vincent in thirty years I'm sure it would have a greater value as a complete stock machine. So with that said save everything you change and when that day comes you still have new skins and all the old parts to put back on. :2cents

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Vincent talking baout classics, I'm trying to get hold of a new gas tank for my 56 A10 Road Rocket BSA, any leads?

I went to Veralls (their ads are in most classic bike magazines int eh UK) in West Sussex with no luck. By the way, what an inventory of beauties they keep.....

Cheers, Juan

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I have fully customized my bike, everything but the engine. I also have kept all original parts except the wheels which I have sold.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I owned a BSA for 35 years. It went through every possible modification, from chopper to dirt bike. The last 10 years were spent in almost stock condition. There is no rush.

But keep the old parts.

·
Registered
439 Posts
ErVikingo,

Your friend has a "smoking" bike. That is what I want to do with my VROD. I love that look!
Lately, I have been having this itch to put color on my 2003 VROD. I am getting tired of the aluminum look and miss the color factor. I am also tired of cleaning the damm wheels. I think I am going crazy since I thought about trading it in for a Fat Boy. Guys, please don't let me do it! But I rode my bike to work this morining and relaized that I love my VROD. But I must customize it (color, fat tire and possibly different wheels). One challange, how do you tell your wife you are not happy with your bike in its current condition after investing $20K in it? Boy is this an addiction or what?

Best regards,:cool:

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
VRod,

I'm still researching the wheel option, I want to change the discs (cross winds on I75 are not fun!) but want to keep the stock belt and don't want to go with the 3 piece wheels as the idea of cleaning all those little bolts scares me.

I will most certainly be painting mine a different color also. We should share notes on this when we get together.

I rode to the office today also, ain't it great!

Juan

·
Registered
974 Posts
Custom...............
Hmmm.................
The "custom" changes I started with made a difference in either PERSONAL operation due to size(of me) and performance enhancers like the 28 or 29 tooth pulley ,ect , ect. Go to the pictures and find things you like and PM those people and ask questions. We all like talking or we would not be here ! Lots of nice people and lots of ideas.
Just take your time so that you do not end up buying things twice because you are not happy
Enjoy the new year !
BobT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts