Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a question about performance, NOT cost or aesthetics. Arnotts cost twice as much, and look about twice as good, in my view.

But - if you had to choose between Arnotts and Progressive 440's solely on the basis of which one was the better performance shock, which do you choose?

Note, i ride 2-up only once in a while (combined weight around 315lb), but when i do, it's often on the crappy streets around town. the 12.5" 440's do bottom out now and then.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I have ridden them both, hands down it goes to progressive, I have had both on my bike. My dad currently has the progressives on his, the ride is so much nicer than my Arnotts. Progressives Win.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, i may bottom out on the 440's, but the overall ride is better?

seems like you could prevent bottoming out with the arnott's, if you pumped all the way up, right?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
so, i may bottom out, but the ride is better?

seems like you could prevent bottoming out with the arnott's pumped all the way up, right?
Yes, that is the only benifit to the Arnotts. That is why I run them. That way when I ride two up, the girl can have a little comfort. Got knows she aint getting a backrest.

Also the very reason I went with the Arnotts.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Dan, get the 440 and I will take the arnott from you... :hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
If you wind up the 440's they shouldn't bottom out.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
and yet, they do. ratcheted all the way up, when i'm riding 2 up, and hit a decent size dip/bump
Just for clarification, do you have the regular 440's or the Heavy Duty 440's?

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
My Heavy Duty 440's are great, never bottomed out. They recommend those for 2-up riding.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,396 Posts
Yes, that is the only benifit to the Arnotts.
Actually most of the guys i know with them - love them because of the "Dropped" look factor especially when parked... moreso than the raised up feature...

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Actually most of the guys i know with them - love them because of the "Dropped" look factor especially when parked... moreso than the raised up feature...
Let me correct myself, the ability of ht adjustment is the only benifit in my opinion, I guess the ride is better than stock, but I do drop mine when parked.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,396 Posts
Let me correct myself, the ability of ht adjustment is the only benifit in my opinion,
Agreed, the versatility of the Arnotts's is probably the biggest sell feature of them as they are not cheap compared to the 440's / 412's..

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
this is a question about performance, NOT cost or aesthetics. Arnotts cost twice as much, and look about twice as good, in my view.

But - if you had to choose between Arnotts and Progressive 440's solely on the basis of which one was the better performance shock, which do you choose?

Note, i ride 2-up only once in a while (combined weight around 315lb), but when i do, it's often on the crappy streets around town. the 12.5" 440's do bottom out now and then.
Hands down progressive. No competition at all. They are engineered to the T's. The Arnotts are obviously air shocks for the convenience of them and are a good product but nowhere in the 440's league. Have switched out to progressive on every bike I've owned since they been in business.

Hand adjustment - no tools and look pretty good. The Arnotts are awesome aesthetically but you have all the Bs lines and compressor.

Sniff around, I waited and got my 440's thru motosports for $400 and some change. Front springs also. Do the 13" ers if you are bottoming out.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i already have the 440's on my bike, actually. was planning to switch to the arnotts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i already have the 440's on my bike, actually. was planning to switch to the arnotts
i made some spacers about 10mm thick from nylon to mount under the stock springs which stiffened the shocks to help the bottoming out then made thicker bottoming stops to prevent bottoming out.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Good Thread...

I have also wondered this.

I Love the looks of the Arnotts, but have read threads where there are leaks in the mainfold, lines etc. This is something that I don't want to be bothered with.

However....they are so freaking good looking, especailly when slammed. In the end I will probably go with the Arnotts (hopefully by Spring). I can't let T-Rod and Cyco (who both have Arnotts) have one up on me......:stilpoke:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Progressive 440HD (heavy duty) will not bottom out while two up. Progressive 440 are the ones that bottom out under load. Two different shocks.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts