Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a two part question, but here's the deal:

I just bought a 2011 Night Rod, it basically had drag pipes on it and am in the process of reverting it back to stock. I ordered pipes from another member and intended on hooking up the O2 sensors but came to find mine are too wide for the 2013 header pipes so need to get the 18mm bungs welded in if I want to do so. I've called around to about 8 different places and only place so far that's been willing to try is Milwaukee Harley in which they quoted me 3 hours of work (Yeah, take a f*ing hike) I'm to the point where I'm just going to hook get some 12 mm plugs and call it a day. Any issue with this? The bike did come with a Power Commander V

Second piece has to do with a string of major screwups on my part. I was mounting the bracket for the stock mufflers and snapped the top bolt while doing so. (Didn't have an 8 mm tap so was kind of forcing it through a rusted out hole). SO, I got out the extractor and snapped that bit off clean. THEN, got out a smaller bit to try and get the extractor out, broke that, and punched a hole in my fuel tank. At this point I'm almost ready to smash everything in my garage to bits. But, if I don't end up doing that is it even possible to reliably patch a hole in these tanks? Searching around I came to find that it's made out of PE and basically nothing sticks to it. Otherwise what else is my option? Order a new tank? Aftermarket? For some reason it appears fuel tanks from prior to 07 are WAY cheaper on ebay than ones for my 2011. Is that because people are retrofitting them for the larger fuel capacity? 3-500 dollars for a tank is outrageous.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Kind of a two part question, but here's the deal:

I just bought a 2011 Night Rod, it basically had drag pipes on it and am in the process of reverting it back to stock. I ordered pipes from another member and intended on hooking up the O2 sensors but came to find mine are too wide for the 2013 header pipes so need to get the 18mm bungs welded in if I want to do so. I've called around to about 8 different places and only place so far that's been willing to try is Milwaukee Harley in which they quoted me 3 hours of work (Yeah, take a f*ing hike) I'm to the point where I'm just going to hook get some 12 mm plugs and call it a day. Any issue with this? The bike did come with a Power Commander V

Second piece has to do with a string of major screwups on my part. I was mounting the bracket for the stock mufflers and snapped the top bolt while doing so. (Didn't have an 8 mm tap so was kind of forcing it through a rusted out hole). SO, I got out the extractor and snapped that bit off clean. THEN, got out a smaller bit to try and get the extractor out, broke that, and punched a hole in my fuel tank. At this point I'm almost ready to smash everything in my garage to bits. But, if I don't end up doing that is it even possible to reliably patch a hole in these tanks? Searching around I came to find that it's made out of PE and basically nothing sticks to it. Otherwise what else is my option? Order a new tank? Aftermarket? For some reason it appears fuel tanks from prior to 07 are WAY cheaper on ebay than ones for my 2011. Is that because people are retrofitting them for the larger fuel capacity? 3-500 dollars for a tank is outrageous.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/co...P8005/?N=5002385+3293241357+3294529206&rt=rud
This stuff bonds to the that material and I've used it to bond my stainless belt guard strip on a few years ago. It's not cheap and you need the gun also. It would require the correct method of repair also, like a plug that threads into the hole with a flange for bonding, like on the inside preferably. You must work fast as it starts curing in less then a minute. Might be cheaper to find a wreck being parted out in the end. Any decent weld shop can tig those O2 ports on for you. I'd have it all prepped, hole drill etc so all they need to do is tack them on and weld around. Like 15 minutes tops. Done several myself before retiring. As for the hole and if you have the tank off and can get the bike to the same decent weld shop the bolt core can be plasma cut to the point it falls out, leaving the threads intact in the frame. Might need chasing but that's all. Good luck with your project.
Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm with him. Good calls on all those fixes. We've all been there. "I don't have one of those so I'll just..." several hundred dollars later (if you're lucky) you finally get it done. The expensive lessons stick in your mind the longest. Good luck and persevere!

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Hahahaha....... ArgleBargle..... I laughed my ass off reading that in the TommyKnockers....

Funny shit right there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.