Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not shocking..just filling a need. The product works and is very reasonably priced. I wanted to make a better mousetrap.
I'm sure it is. And there is a need for a reasonable alternative to the dealer. To anyone not inclined to make their own this should be an attractive alternative to the stealership.

Honestly, I'm just surprised this hasn't been done a hundred times over given all of the open source projects out there which cover pretty much this entire project.

I'm not trying to bust your balls because I know what goes in to making this specific application work and I’m glad to see something out there it's just that when I look at it I see what looks like an off the shelf EL327 Bluetooth module with a cable to connect the J1850 pins to the bike. At retail that's $20 worth of hardware. If there is any secret sauce it is in the app (which doesn't appear to be in the google app store) so you end up with $109 worth of android app which also requires internet access to the mother-ship.

What didn’t click for me at first was why anyone who knew enough to do this would choose this approach. This route required zero hardware development which is a boon to any business but watching the video show the wifi/login requirements and it all made sense.

In the end I’m glad to see this out there and I wish you success with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is always one "why does this cost so much" guy. I have been down this road when I used to produce products for GM vehicles.

The value is in the development, time, testing, and frankly ease of use. Not to mention this is almost $300 cheaper than any other alternative.

Appreciate your support.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
There is always one "why does this cost so much" guy. I have been down this road when I used to produce products for GM vehicles.

The value is in the development, time, testing, and frankly ease of use. Not to mention this is almost $300 cheaper than any other alternative.

Appreciate your support.
Gave you a free plug on my other site. Any plans for Canbus?
Ron

·
Registered
786 Posts
Apple compatibility in the works?

Don't have Android, and really don't need another electronic widget gathering dust in my garage.
At this time no. Apple restrictions (and licensing) are ridiculous in this arena. We offer the low cost Android tablet to cover this scenario. It's an 8" tablet, so tiny garage real estate and absolutely worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Appreciate your support.

If you think that the cost is the issue then you've missed the point. Its the value that I'm questioning.

I understand the IP involved and the design, testing and liability. Your price point is fine it's the design i find questionable.

Reducing this to a "why does it cost so much" question is just as questionable as your other attempts at spin. And comparing it's price to full diagnostic tools which do much more than this is a bit misleading.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Appreciate your support.

If you think that the cost is the issue then you've missed the point. Its the value that I'm questioning.

I understand the IP involved and the design, testing and liability. Your price point is fine it's the design i find questionable.
I appreciate your support.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

Reducing this to a "why does it cost so much" question is just as questionable as your other attempts at spin. And comparing it's price to full diagnostic tools which do much more than this is a bit misleading.
Most of us have diagnostic tools coming out our asses. I've got TTS datamaster, PV and bought Twinscan recently, only to cycle the ABS. Each and every one will read and clear codes. Add Wego to the Twinscan and it's a tuner. I don't need it's extra features but it cost me to have it with Twinscan, especially since I sold the Wego 3 unit it actually hooks into for tuning. I think a single purpose tool is a great idea to cut costs.
Ron

·
Registered
786 Posts

Most of us have diagnostic tools coming out our asses. I've got TTS datamaster, PV and bought Twinscan recently, only to cycle the ABS. Each and every one will read and clear codes. Add Wego to the Twinscan and it's a tuner. I don't need it's extra features but it cost me to have it with Twinscan, especially since I sold the Wego 3 unit it actually hooks into for tuning. I think a single purpose tool is a great idea to cut costs.
Ron
Absolutely. This is why I created it in the first place. I ONLY wanted to flush the brakes...not pay for functionality I already have/don't need.

I can't win sometimes....

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a scam as freudie1 contacted me last month to be a beta tester, but I regretfully had to decline since a) I had too many irons in the fire at the time to take on another project and b) I'm "Apple only", and didn't realize that he had an inexpensive Android solution.

Now, I'm seriously considering this option as my brake flush (with my own, better fluid) at the Stealer last month was $130.

I'll most likely pick up this widget (with the Android tablet) next year when I need to look at my brakes again.

R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ron
Ron, I can definitely appreciate and relate to that. I really am glad to see something out there and in this price point. Especially if it works and it's supported. I was looking for exactly this type of tool when I started researching what’s involved. It's really the details of the design that rub me the wrong way and the attitude of the builder doesn't help.

The biggest issue for me isn’t the hardware design but that they use a 3 tier architecture. It doesn't benefit you as a purchaser in the least. Is the login required each time you use the app or switch devices? If their licensing server isn't available or shuts down then is your tool useless?

The hardware design is low hanging fruit and I don’t begrudge them that. You take what’s out there that you know works and that reduces your development time and cost. That lets you put all of the effort into the app and testing. You’re still combining Android and Bluetooth but since this isn’t a critical function you can live with the instability. There are better ways to approach this problem and actually improve upon what’s out there but that isn’t really a design goal with this project.

The reasons given for lacking an Apple app seem dubious. I’m not an Apple fan but connecting to the Bluetooth module isn’t an issue and the Android app is simplistic. It seems more likely that they simply don’t have an iOS developer, don’t want to pay for one (understandable without a demand for it) or they are going for a licensing model that causes them other issues.

I understand he has a business with the relevant priorities and he may well know his stuff. I applaud him for putting this out here knowing jerks like me are going to pick at it. I just don’t get a sense of honesty here but I do get a sense that something is being hidden or overestimated, whether that is the product, his skills or the company I don’t know. I hate being like this for something I’d rather support but freudie1’s instinct seems to be obfuscate through spin and condescension.

Regardless of what I think this is probably a very good alternative for most people over a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a scam as freudie1 contacted me last month to be a beta tester, but I regretfully had to decline since a) I had too many irons in the fire at the time to take on another project and b) I'm "Apple only", and didn't realize that he had an inexpensive Android solution.

Now, I'm seriously considering this option as my brake flush (with my own, better fluid) at the Stealer last month was $130.

I'll most likely pick up this widget (with the Android tablet) next year when I need to look at my brakes again.

R.

Rod, I really dont think it's a scam but freudie1 seems determined to give that impression.

Absolutely. This is why I created it in the first place. I ONLY wanted to flush the brakes...not pay for functionality I already have/don't need.

I can't win sometimes....
I get that but you compared it to those tools.

I really don't want to be a dick and I know you don't deserve to be beat up too much over this but the approach you took and the ways you respond don't show technical prowess or business acumen.

I'm not going to harp on this anymore. I recognize it's probably the best option out there and I hope it helps a lot of people.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Now I'm feeling bad that I didn't make the time to Beta test this, as an endorsement from a reasonably established member of the forum (I'm flattering myself here) might have helped.

Look at it this way-- here's a forum member who's stepped up to design a widget for a dwindling market. It does one thing, and one thing only. BUT, it saves you $130 every year or two, so you break even in a reasonable time.

Could it be fancier/shinier/chromier? Probably, but, dwindling market, remember? There's not going to be a huge return on investment on this regardless if you use a cable, wifi, bluetooth or carrier pigeon. The fact that ANYONE has done something for the dinosaur that is the VRSC platform should be applauded. Not making it use the latest and greatest tech to work can be forgiven imho-- it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it works. In the military, we used to call it "kludging" something together.

And as far as diagnostic devices up the arse? If you're a heavy-hitter who is *really* into your bike(s), maybe you have TwinTec's and the like laying around. But for Joe Bag-o-doughnuts who just wants something quick and easy to save a few bucks, this seems a reasonable solution.

I don't have a dog in the fight-- except for not wanting to see a fellow forum member get beaten up for trying to put out something that benefits the entire community.

That's happened before-- the names Bicep and Superchicken amongst others come to mind.......and the forum and available parts for our bikes are all the poorer for it.

If you think you can do better, what's stopping you?

Just my 0.03.

R.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.