Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some slip ons in the not too distant future. I want something that sounds good, but not obnoxiously loud. I already have a car my wife won't let me fire up if she's home.

I've found several videos, but it's so hard to get a feel for any of them through amateur phone videos and most recorded under different conditions, etc. Best would be to find someone local with each of the exhausts. Maybe that should be my challenge. Find and meet up with someone with V&H, Tab and Bassani. I'm really considering the Bassani in black and black out my heat sheilds.

I'm thinking if the bike just sounded like a stock any other Harley it would be tolerable. Went over to a buddy's house last night. His 8 year old ran in to tell him I was there and mentioned how quiet my bike was.

·
VRSCF
1,265 Posts
Its really hard to tell listening to a recording from a phone on a computer, there is no sense of volume

im afraid you need to hear them in real life

Im happy with the V&H slip ons, I ran them without baffles, as they come, for a few thousand miles, but they were a bit too noisy for early morning getaways. Since then I fit the "quiet baffle" which is not quiet at all. It knocks a few dB off but its still louder than most other bikes you will come across

...except the usual air heads running without baffles that are deafening

Im sure all the manufacturers you have to choose from do an alternative baffle, so if you buy and its too loud you can change for $30 ...so just buy what you like the look of

I like the V&H as they look factory and give good ground clearance, they dont touch down at all even at the edge of the tyre

·
Departed the Fix.
5,162 Posts
Bogie nailed it. I was in your same position, and you just can't get a true feel for what each exhaust sounds like via a sound clip-- I must have spent ten hours on YouTube searching for exhaust videos and listening to them over and over (and over and over and over.....).

The best thing is probably to find someone in your area who has pipes that you can listen to. The Tab's and V&H's shouldn't be *too* difficult, but the Bassini's are a bit rarer. Fwiw, I went with the Tab's with their 1.75" baffles. Great look, exactly the sound I was looking for (not hugely loud, but not a sewing machine), and enough backpressure to give the bike a lot more grunt on the low end. I couldn't find anyone locally who had the setup I was interested, so eventually, I just had to do a leap of faith.

If you were anywhere near Denver, I'd toss you the keys and let your hear for yourself, but that's a bit of a roadtrip for you. :D

Good luck! Exhausts are a pretty subjective thing, between looks and sound.

R.

·
Registered
36 Posts
VRSCF with Bassani slip ons and blacked out heat shields checking in:

I love the sound and look, I don't think they are too obnoxious although that is obviously subjective and I have set off the odd car alarm.

I'm not sure if you have heard a night rod with Tab side shots but its not as eardrum shattering as that at all.

If you do go down the Bassani route.
I've just bought my bike with that setup and the paint is peeling off the heat shield so maybe a powder coat or better will save you doing it twice.

Let me know if I can assist, pictures or sound wise for what they are worth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I'll keep looking around for someone with these exhausts.

southerncross, I'm always interested in seeing bikes. Please post some pix.

I was thinking about powder coating them myself, but not sure how hot they get. May have to take them somewhere and get the black ceramic.

·
I fly lower now...
1,578 Posts
I have the V&H slip-ons with the competition baffles (a little more 'open' apparently). I love the way the satin finish matches the factory heat shields. I've had compliments on how much the bike sounds like a stock car, and the obnoxious side of me likes how I can set off car alarms as I drive by (but that's just me).

I'd say of all the choices, choose the look you prefer best. You'll never appreciate the sound because you'll always be 'on' the bike - and we all know that perspective changes the way a bike sounds.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm hoping to get some slip ons in the not too distant future. I want something that sounds good, but not obnoxiously loud. I already have a car my wife won't let me fire up if she's home.

I've found several videos, but it's so hard to get a feel for any of them through amateur phone videos and most recorded under different conditions, etc. Best would be to find someone local with each of the exhausts. Maybe that should be my challenge. Find and meet up with someone with V&H, Tab and Bassani. I'm really considering the Bassani in black and black out my heat sheilds.

I'm thinking if the bike just sounded like a stock any other Harley it would be tolerable. Went over to a buddy's house last night. His 8 year old ran in to tell him I was there and mentioned how quiet my bike was.
Like others here. Hearing in person is best.
I have the Tabs and love them. They were louder at idle when 1st installed but have mellowed since then. They really wake up when you go thru the gears. Been told many time that it sounds really nice. So have fun and ride safe. Have pics in garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. brand new here but have been reading on the site for years. We really need to get some people together with a variety of exhausts and do a controlled comparison video. I'd particularly want to see a comparison between the Bassani 2 into 1 and the Akrapovic...and possibly the Fitzgerald too....

Surely we can find two bikes with these in an area somewhere that we can film... Im based in London at present if anyone has any of these and I'd be happy to help film!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi all. brand new here but have been reading on the site for years. We really need to get some people together with a variety of exhausts and do a controlled comparison video. I'd particularly want to see a comparison between the Bassani 2 into 1 and the Akrapovic...and possibly the Fitzgerald too....

Surely we can find two bikes with these in an area somewhere that we can film... Im based in London at present if anyone has any of these and I'd be happy to help film!
Just for the Comparison -
06 VRSCD Night Rod - Stock Pipes w/VMOD1- Inner Baffle Removed. VMOD1 sound- Stock Pipes with Inner Baffles Removed - Open Airbox - K&N AF - Power Commander Tuner
Top/Bottomless/K&N AF PV 5 "SE Pipes" Stock Map (Tune)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts