Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew they were, just not sure actually "how much"

I was just goofing around with a light meter and I got these very non-scientific measurements:

Stock Light (1157 bulb)
- Running Light - 2.87fc
- Brake Light - 50.7fc

Heavycycles' Light (LED)
- Running Light - 8.92fc
- Brake Light - 97.2fc

these measuements were taken a few seconds apart, under the same dim ambient lighting, using the same power source, about a foot away from the light... I was holding the sensor in my hand, getting peak readings, so these are not necessarially very accurate, but a good estimate.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Oh sure like you won't DR. Them up!;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ok, I'll look stupid, what does fc mean and how does that equate to the measurement of light?

It appears, not knowing what you are measuring, that the running light is about 3x brighter and the stop light twice as bright as the bulb, or is it like db's and is a multiplier effect?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I have my lights on order from Dr H-S, both the taillight and turn signal conversion.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey John,

The Radiantz clusters are pretty nice, if you don't mind still having a bulb socket (easy install in most cases but still leaves a common point of failure). I usually recommend Radiantz to anyone looking for "pop-in" LED boards

a 2397 is basically the same as a 2357, both brighter than an 1157, but still incandescent :goof
(first number is run light/second number is brake light)
1157 - 3/32 lumens
2357 - 3/40 lumens
2397 - 2/40 lumens

note: the brighter bulbs have an even shorter expected life!!
1157 - 1200/5000 hours
2357 - 400/5000 hours
HC LEDs - 100,000 hours

careful with the halogens... some of them run really hot, but they are brighter.

Keep an eye out on webbikeworld... I have a taillight on the way there right now for a review ;)

Dave, fc is foot candella... in this case, the readings are very preliminary and very unscientific... take them with a grain of salt until I can get some real test results.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
i would like to get rid of the stock back turn signals, but really cant afford the LED (stage 2 i think?) backlight ( atleast not for awhile due to the wife wanting house upgrades,fences..etc)
can you put the back turn signal LEDs in the stock taillight but keep the exsisting bulbs intact ? if so how much would it cost? and could i upgrade to the full LED system later?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey shawn, send me an email, we can probably work something out.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Shawn,
Don't worry he only has 7 different E-mail accounts!:rolleyes: I think he collects them or something!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts