Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get an opinion on Progressive 412's. Are they a lot better or just a little better than stock HD shocks? Are 440's worth the extra cost?
Thanks

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I run the 440's an I think they are a great fit for the V-Rod. Good dampening on compression and rebound. Much nicer ride. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
The 440's, along with fork springs and SE oil, will transform your V. You'll wonder how you ever survived the POS stock suspension.

·
1,738 Posts
440's and front springs and HD oil. Yes, a thousand times yes. Best mod I have made, after the open wheels.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
akjitsu said:
The 440's, along with fork springs and SE oil, will transform your V. You'll wonder how you ever survived the POS stock suspension.
:them: Couldn't have said it better.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
rjrivero said:
I run the 440's an I think they are a great fit for the V-Rod. Good dampening on compression and rebound. Much nicer ride. :2cents:
akjitsu said:
V-Fred said:
440's and front springs and HD oil. Yes, a thousand times yes. Best mod I have made, after the open wheels.
NightMare said:
:them: Couldn't have said it better.
:them:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Soundhound said:
I need to get an opinion on Progressive 412's. Are they a lot better or just a little better than stock HD shocks? Are 440's worth the extra cost?
Thanks
I put Works Performance shocks on but like others have said, HUGE difference. I think any of the mainstream performance shocks will make a big difference in ride comfort and damping as long as the springs selected are correct for the application.
Most manufacturers put cheap suspension parts on stock bikes. They are worth it. Most people don't know how bad the stock forks and shocks are setup until they replace them.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
I love my 412's, I haven't ridden a bike with 440's, even with a 1 inch shorter than stock. I have not bottomed out, even with the lady on the back.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
coinpurse said:
I love my 412's, I haven't ridden a bike with 440's, even with a 1 inch shorter than stock. I have not bottomed out, even with the lady on the back.
I went with the 412's too - they are only about 2bills and made differnce but I do not know how they compare to the 440's.:moped:

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
I went with the 412's, but only because I'm a cheap focker. Night and day difference from stock, well worth it. If i had an extra $200 at the time I woulda went with the 440's.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
rjrivero said:
Did you go stock length or shortened?

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I was considering having my stockers cut,but now after reading this...it sounds like many think the stock shocks arent very good....440s are abit more then I wanted to spend...

so the 412s are a good upgrade too it sounds like....can someone please tell me,where is cheap place to finde 412s,and I also want to lower the back down as much as possible,but still ride the OCCASIONAL passenger....would 11.75 be too low?....do they come in 11.75?

thanks gang!
Dan

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
I was considering having my stockers cut,but now after reading this...it sounds like many think the stock shocks arent very good....440s are abit more then I wanted to spend...

so the 412s are a good upgrade too it sounds like....can someone please tell me,where is cheap place to finde 412s,and I also want to lower the back down as much as possible,but still ride the OCCASIONAL passenger....would 11.75 be too low?....do they come in 11.75?

thanks gang!
Dan
Dan - got mine here. 12" 412's - have never seen 11.75". I cannot say the 440's aren't the way to go but like others, I am pleased as punch with the 412's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-0...003QQitemZ130127689203QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

$191.99 plus $15 for shipping.

http://myworld.ebay.com/jc_motorcycle_accessories

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
I went with the 412s but did not notice any difference from stock. I wish I had plunked down the extra dough for the 440s now because I don't think the 412s are all that.

·
Wind Up Merchant
425 Posts
forgive my stupidity here......... so the 440's are the rear shocks then? what do you do to the fronts?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts