Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does HD have a battery design that no one else can copy? I’m particularly taking about the flush mount posts. No one else seems to have them, not even Deka. They all come with brass spacers where you make them flush when mounting. Does this have a negative effect on connection quality?

Also a problem I’ve seen with OEM is that the posts are threaded with no backing nut. That means the soft metal can be easily stripped when tightening and you are screwed if that happens. A backing nut, such as on Yuasa, can be strongly tightened for a more secure connection, plus you get 20 more cca’s.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Does HD have a battery design that no one else can copy? I’m particularly taking about the flush mount posts. No one else seems to have them, not even Deka. They all come with brass spacers where you make them flush when mounting. Does this have a negative effect on connection quality?

Also a problem I’ve seen with OEM is that the posts are threaded with no backing nut. That means the soft metal can be easily stripped when tightening and you are screwed if that happens. A backing nut, such as on Yuasa, can be strongly tightened for a more secure connection, plus you get 20 more cca’s.
I believe the OEM uses a form of helicoil in the lead and yes it's very susceptible to compressing the lead around the insert if over tightened. I currently have a Yuasa replacement. Slight boot mod needed on the positive terminal but otherwise good fit. If I remember correctly it has a nut but again, the lead can be compressed if overdone. Good and snug seems to be the best approach and checking them each time you are in there is a good idea. They always seem to need just a hair more over time to bring them back to what feels snug. Loctite is not the answer as it's always from the lead yielding a hair over time and losing clamping force. Loctite could mask this and could lead to burning the terminal off of the battery under a high load engine start condition from a loose terminal even if the bolt feels tight.
Ron

·
Registered
249 Posts
DEKA makes the battery for H-D , & yes, DEKA can sell directly to public , but it has to be slightly different, hence the spacers to make up the difference in post height. i got my DEKA from napa & works great & saved some $

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.