Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Stated...
Are all cars the same, are the chevy and fords what ever you pick the same in Texas as in Ohio.
Alaska vs Mississippi

Are there any fuel calibration differences or temp settings different.

Why do I come up with this dumb stuff.

I just had to ask.

I googled and nothing came up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes in each home market. Although large companies (Ford, Toyota, VW, etc) have global platforms that they modify for each market. For example the Ford Focus sold in India has less sound proofing, different engine specs, cheaper surface materials and a large AC compressor, than one sold in Europe or the US.
Likewise an Aussie spec Toyota Camary will differ from a US one.

You will see different buying patterns within the US for different models and trim levels though. For example people in Colorado will buy a car with different options (eg 4WD) than people in Florida.
.....although mostly people in Colorado buy Suburu anyway.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay,

So would a car from ohio do well inTexas.

or are the calibraton different?

My reason is my Daughter needs a car and I am here and she is there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not really sure exactly what you mean by "calibration" but in general I think it depends on the car make, model, age and level of maintenance.

Most cars built in the last 20 years would be designed to cope well with the range of conditions in Texas and Ohio.
.......Alaska and Texas would be a more extreme case that might see an engine block heater be needed in place of a cold AC unit.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
okay,

So would a car from ohio do well inTexas.

or are the calibraton different?

My reason is my Daughter needs a car and I am here and she is there.
This answer is not exactly accurate, but is close enough for what you are looking at.

With the exception of some california cars, they are all the same.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I can only speak for nissan . For which I have worked for the last 17 years . (*) All North american nissans are built the same. No matter if they are going to texas , ohio , washington or florida. Does not matter .

(*)EXCEPT Kalifornia models , which have special emissions.

We also build a canadian model , mexican model , a GCC model which has a " Camel Hook " on the front and back .

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys....

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
There used to be 3 different "tune ups" for all domestic cars. CA, High altitude, and the rest.

:eek:fftopic:High altitude was a Denver car even in the 30's they were wanted cars. They had higher compression ratios and to hot rodders that meant more power. The old man I used to work with had some "DENVER" heads for a Lincoln flathead. The chambers were much smaller then the regular ones. Would add about 1/2 point of cr. Back then that was a lot. Then Edelbrock made high compression aluminum heads and the rest is history Somewhere in the 80's they were doing everything to make EPA. Now I think US has only one car but CA dose have more crap for clean air. My understanding is they are going to get rid of the other 49 and make only CA tune up cars. Then again this has been going around for about 30 years.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Rod, we made 1320 pickups a day - all the same. California had different smog equipment. Export jobs were mostly strippers (like for mexican government), at least in trucks. Should be no problem Ohio to TX. Joe

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
NIce we get Special Cars while all you get the same old shite!!!
Yeah, and your special models have lower performance due to the emission stuff.. what a deal! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
All the major car companies that I am aware of now sell cars with the same emissions equipment, and the same state of tune, in every state in the US. If the car has a decal under the hood that says it meets California Emissions requirements, then that is a "50 state" car. This has been true for many years, and is true for most mass market motorcycles too, Harley Davidson excepted. BMW, for example, hasn't sold a 49-state bike in the US since very early 1985.
There is a good reason for this. If dealers or car rental agencies need to move inventory between states then having cars in their inventory that cannot be sold in California is a major liability.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Yeah, and your special models have lower performance due to the emission stuff.. what a deal! :rofl:
I will bet that if you look around the firewall of your car you will find a decal stating your car complies with all applicable California emissions requirements in force for a vehicle made whenever yours was made. I have bought cars outside California that were never sold in California but had the required CARB sticker under the hood.

·
Registered
221 Posts
......although some of the "less special" states have no emission laws or vehicle inspections. This leaves you make a few modifications.

......like adding a Supercharger and removing the Cat. Take my little redneck car for example:

Attachments

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
......although some of the "less special" states have no emission laws or vehicle inspections. This leaves you make a few modifications.

......like adding a Supercharger and removing the Cat. Take my little redneck car for example:
If no one lives there you need no emission standards. (we have no inspection here, just smog checks every so often)
(4,000,000 people in the Whole State? do you all get together every Friday for Dinner?)

U.S. population Percent
1 1 California 37,253,956 11.91%

26 26 Kentucky 4,339,367 1.39%

1 - 20 of 31 Posts