Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a Scooter.... ABS, Traction Control, Liquid Cooled and 75bhp? Better then your Road Queen Bertha!!!

Traction Control, ABS and a 75bhp v-twin — they call this a scooter?
"The Aprilia SRV850 isn’t new. In fact, it’s just a re-skinned Gilera GP800, which debuted in 2008. But, it is now getting both ABS and switchable traction control. Those, plus the 90º, liquid-cooled v-twin with twin-spark plug ignition, counter-rotating crankshaft that’s mounted to the frame, instead of the swingarm, make this scooter more sophisticated than many motorcycles. What the hell?

This isn’t the first scooter with TC either. That was another Piaggio product (Piaggio owns Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Vespa and Gilera), the BV350 that you saw when we ripped that Zero DS to shreds on RideApart.

The GP800-cum-SRV850 actually uses the same engine as a motorcycle too, the same 839cc, liquid-cooled v-twin and CVT transmission as the Aprilia Mana, the Gilera GP800 makes 75bhp and 54lb/ft of torque. That’s a LOT for a scooter; in comparison the Piaggio MP3 500 makes just 40bhp. Unfortunately, it has to move a lot of weight — 235kg/518lbs (dry), in fact. That’s two pounds heavier than a Mana in running order, fully filled with fuel. Still, that power is good for a top speed in excess of 120mph. It should be fairly stable at such speeds too, wheels grow to nearly motorcycle-size; 16” up front and 15” rear.

In that motor, both the crankshaft and transmission components rotate in a direction opposite to the wheels, an effect which reduces rotating inertia and gyroscopic effect. You may remember that the MV Agusta F3 makes great noise about its counter-rotating crank and its handling benefits.

That motor/transmission are also mounted to the steel, double-cradle frame, not to the swingarm, as is a traditional hallmark of the scooter configuration. Aprilia claims this gives the SRV a coefficient of stability at full-throttle nearly double that of traditional scooters — 1 rad/sec.

The rear monoshock is mounted horizontally and adjusts for preload. The 41mm forks are unadjustable. Front brakes are dual 300mm discs gripped by four-piston Brembo calipers.

The SRV is capable of 45º lean angles before dragging anything.

ABS you’ll be familiar with. Speed sensors on both wheels provide data that’s continuously monitored by an ECU. Should the rate of deceleration of one fall below the other, ABS works some magic and the brakes don’t lock. Those same wheel speed sensors inform TC operation too; if the speed of the rear wheel is found to exceed the front while the throttle is being applied, the ignition advance and injection timing are altered to limit torque until traction is regained. That’s not the sophisticated APRC system used on bikes like the RSV4, but it should be an effective safety aid on wet city streets — the SRV’s home. TC is switchable between normal and “Sport” modes, the latter backs of the intervention threshold to allow more fun. You know, because they last thing you want is for an electronic nannie to prevent you from power sliding your scooter".

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Actually Lux that scooter is you 100%. Never has there been a better fit. Trade the A, the Aprilla has all the HP you know how to use a much better tranny. I'll even donate to get it rolling.

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
Wonder what the resale value would be?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I think they are going sell for around $10,000. Let's face it, Lux thinks anything is better than a air cooled Harley. If he wants all that stuff, he should buy one. We all know he won't.

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
I think they are going sell for around $10,000. Let's face it, Lux thinks anything is better than a air cooled Harley. If he wants all that stuff, he should buy one. We all know he won't.
10,000$ today...2000$ in two years.....

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, dont need one, nice to see a $10k scooter comes with better Tech than a $28k HD though no? But no Stereo on the scooter so I guess thats the difference.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm sorry but I will agree with lux on the argument of air cooleds being ratS. That's all there is too it. They can paint it and change this or that they are still rats compared to our liquid cooled. I'd buy a bagger if I had extra money as a touring bike but I wouldn't wanna race a smart car on it

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
nice to see a $10k scooter comes with better Tech than a $28k HD though no? But no Stereo on the scooter so I guess thats the difference.
Better Tech? That Aprilia is not an Aprilia, Its a Gilera 800 painted with Aprilia's colors,
Add some bells a whistles, and people are hooked.

And Gileras are not known for there quality

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I look at this thing and see a ten thousand dollar so-called scooter that is heavier and has 20 less horsepower than my ancient but carefully modified K-100RS. Why bother? I have a better vehicle in the garage already. How you call this a "scooter" when it is not step through is beyond me. It is closer to the old Honda PC-800 Pacific Coast, aka the Soap Dish, than any scooter. BMW's similarly heavy and expensive large displacement scooters are true step through scooters. Not this thing.
Still, it is indeed funny that the best scooters now easily spank Harley Davidson's best touring models for comfort and performance. You really are just buying an image when you buy an FL series bike or any of the many copies out there.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
I believe most other motorcycle manufacturer's have products that kick HD's ass. (I know I will get shite for this) I just do not think most buy a Harley for performance or low maintenance reasons. Seems to me it is more about a look and a life style. That is all fine. Ride whatever ya want for whatever reason you want and all... (now you can all beat me up for stating my opinion or not knowing what I am talking about if you so choose. It's fine)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Its amazing the bikes you people come up with to compare with our vrods then go on to rubbish hds.you would be better getting jobs with the ministry of missinformation,youd rise to the top quickly .

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
If all there are other bikes that are so much better than hd, then why is it that most of those bikes are so much cheaper and seem to lose their value so much faster? Not trying to pick just looking for opinions.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Most are missing the point here, a $10k Scooter has Better Tech than a Full Grown $30k HD, that's the point, Thats it. Throw a Little fit because you like your HD outfit etc.. thats fine, doesnt change the fact that a Scooter has Better Tech. If a $20k Malibu was better then a $70k BMW 5 Series you would all jump up and down calling people posers and wanna be's for buying a "Over Priced Look At Me" auto's but when it comes to simple facts in 2 wheeled world its "Don't you dare say anything about HD, they are my friends, they tell me so every time I buy Americana at their dealerships VIA China"

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
I think Most are missing the point here, a $10k Scooter has Better Tech than a Full Grown $30k HD, that's the point, Thats it. Throw a Little fit because you like your HD outfit etc.. thats fine, doesnt change the fact that a Scooter has Better Tech. If a $20k Malibu was better then a $70k BMW 5 Series you would all jump up and down calling people posers and wanna be's for buying a "Over Priced Look At Me" auto's but when it comes to simple facts in 2 wheeled world its "Don't you dare say anything about HD, they are my friends, they tell me so every time I buy Americana at their dealerships VIA China"
So you posted this to prove you paid to much for a far inferior product, to try to get the rabbid hd guys riled up?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
it must be an Italian thing most are hooked on, I don't know,
high tech is a matter of opinion.
it has ruined MotoGP, their are no more pilots, only gadgets.
anyone now can ride the "HIGH TECH" bikes and do lap times almost as good as the Riders.
Hell all you gotta do is keep full throttle and hang on. where's the sport, Traction control, launch control, wheelie control, Brake control, accretion control, etc.

I don't judge people on what they ride, but I don't tolerate bozo's saying how great their bike is, is it? I mean, they are almost impossible to work on, is that a good thing?
any little problem will kill your riding schedule, is that a good thing?
To say that Model A, MADE FROM ABC. company is better Than MODEL B MADE FROM DEF COMP. BECAUSE IT NOW HAS THE ABILITY TO LET YOU URINATE WHILE RIDING AND TURN THE URINE INTO CLEAN DRINKING WATER SO THAT YOU CAN DO FASTER LAP TIMES OR WHATEVER, is in it self bullshit.

The Revolution motor is like a small block chevy, Built to last if you leave well enough alone.
She will always start on the first try and will take me home,
Are their bikes that are better? I really don't care.
Are their bikes faster? I really don't care
Are their bikes more modern? I early don't care

So, the point is(after i have drinken 4 crown royals on the rocks)
Is High tech a good thing, that it makes you a better rider.
Or does this high tech crap make everyone capable of riding with out the minimalIdeal of how things work?

Modernization isn't the only way, or isn't the best way. Only the fastest

·
Banned
837 Posts
i think all you bitchers should lay off the Lux bashing.
The guy is good enough to allow us to view other options in the 2-wheel world of production. Your opinion is yours for whatever reason you choose and I respect that.
We should also respect someone who has the advantage of time and research and voluntarily provides us with alternate information, instead of dumping on him.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts