Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm looking at installing some apes on my 2014 muscle, but can't seem to find any. I did however find some Highballs, but they are made and distributed in Australia and with the extended throttle cable and brake lines, I'm looking at $1400 (with shipping). There has to be a cheaper alternative. Any ideas on where I might be able to find a quality product at a reasonable price? The pick is a picture of the Highballs I want on a night rod. I think it looks sick. What do says you? Thanks - Eric

Attachments

·
F2NV
1,725 Posts
While you won't get alot of fans for apes in a vrod, you'll probably need to relocate the gauges to the "gas tank". Then get the reduced reach bars and use the clamp to install whatever apes you want. You'll still have to extend and run the cables.

After all this $1400 isn't too bad of a price after 200 there, 300 here, ya know. Dont forget about the labor too.

Good luck. Hopefully it turns out. Not my style but i can appreciate the look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other options

Hey guys. I appreciate the input. I love the drag look of the v rod, but my hands and arms ache and go knumb shortly after getting on the bike. I'm looking at apes because I think it might relieve some of the discomfort. I do have another option... What about risers? I found a few that would raise the bars between 2 and 2 1/2 inches without requiring extended cables. Do y'all know anything about risers and how or if they would work considering my discomfort. I did find a few throttle locks online so I think that might help also.
Eric

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey guys. I appreciate the input. I love the drag look of the v rod, but my hands and arms ache and go knumb shortly after getting on the bike. I'm looking at apes because I think it might relieve some of the discomfort. I do have another option... What about risers? I found a few that would raise the bars between 2 and 2 1/2 inches without requiring extended cables. Do y'all know anything about risers and how or if they would work considering my discomfort. I did find a few throttle locks online so I think that might help also.
Eric
I notice you have an F model. Have you checked out the "Budman Risers" made by an 1130cc forum member. Have no personal experience of them as I do not have an F, but from what I have seen on here they get nothing but praise. People say it is the best thing they ever did and how it should have come from the factory.

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436713&highlight=budman+risers

·
Departed the Fix.
5,129 Posts
Budman riser. COMPLETELY changes the comfort level of the bike, and no cable replacement required.

Lots of information here on the forum about them.

If you're near Denver, feel free to try them on my F.

R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I notice you have an F model. Have you checked out the "Budman Risers" made by an 1130cc forum member. Have no personal experience of them as I do not have an F, but from what I have seen on here they get nothing but praise. People say it is the best thing they ever did and how it should have come from the factory.

Yes sir. I saw a post regarding that riser, but wasn't sure how much of an improvement it would be. I will certainly look into it. I appreciate your advice and input.
Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect

Budman riser. COMPLETELY changes the comfort level of the bike, and no cable replacement required.

Lots of information here on the forum about them.

If you're near Denver, feel free to try them on my F.

R.
Thanks for the advice sir. I was stationed at Carson from 2013-2017. Too bad I'm no longer there because I would certainly drive to Denver to check them out. I think the riser is a cost efficient way to go while also maintaining the integrity of the bike. Thanks again!
Eric

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a F with the Budman riser. IMO they do reduce the reach but there is still room for more comfort. Of the 20+ bikes I've owned the ones with apes where the most comfortable. With that said they were also the worst for handling. And since the F has the 240 on the rear handling is not the best anyway.
I looked far and wide for different bars but went with the Budman riser.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

I have a F with the Budman riser. IMO they do reduce the reach but there is still room for more comfort. Of the 20+ bikes I've owned the ones with apes where the most comfortable. With that said they were also the worst for handling. And since the F has the 240 on the rear handling is not the best anyway.
I looked far and wide for different bars but went with the Budman riser.
Good luck!
Yea I'm not having much luck finding apes that are reasonably priced. Looks like the Budman riser will win in the end, but I'm still hopeful. Thanks for the comment.
Eric

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Yea I'm not having much luck finding apes that are reasonably priced. Looks like the Budman riser will win in the end, but I'm still hopeful. Thanks for the comment.
Eric
I'm really late on this one. However, I have RSD King Apes on my F. I got them from J&P Cycles. I didn't have time to mount myself so my shop did the entire process in 3 days. I didn't have to relocate the cluster to another clam shell.
I saw Burleigh Bars & although they're clean, I got the same result w/o getting the Budsman riser...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apes

I'm really late on this one. However, I have RSD King Apes on my F. I got them from J&P Cycles. I didn't have time to mount myself so my shop did the entire process in 3 days. I didn't have to relocate the cluster to another clam shell.
I saw Burleigh Bars & although they're clean, I got the same result w/o getting the Budsman riser...
Thanks for the info. Will you post a pic of your bike with the ape hangers? Are they 16"? How much were they? I know just hit you with a lot of questions, but I'm intrigued because they have to be less than $1400.

·
Captain DeadPool
648 Posts
I don’t know if you have made any progress or not. I too looked hard at The Burleigh bars but went with the DNA 16” 1-1/2” diameter just like the Highballs. They are all over eBay and can be found on amazon too for around $200. They come in different heights too. I was concerned that 16” might be too tall, and after sitting them on the triple trees to get an idea, I’m glad I went them over the 14”, I’m 6’ even. My biggest issue was finding cables and lines, but I found Revival Cycles online and they sell kits so you can build custom length hydraulic lines and throttle cables. I pick up the handlebar mount off of a newer NRS so that I could keep my gauge cluster in the same location. I got my bars in the mail today and the riser should be here Monday or Tuesday. I started taking apart the stock bars and get ready to mock up the new ones today so I can take measurements to get the new cables and lines. Here is the bars, they still have the plastic wrap on them. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any pic of the bars on the bike now iam thinking of going with 10in aps are maybe 8in but not really sure yet as I just started looking around for some

1 - 17 of 17 Posts