Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hy guys,
first thread for me here,
I was wondering wether to change my night rod's handlebar and choose a longer one like apehanger or similar.
I saw that some of you have one of this kind so, in which way does it influence handling?

thx and sorry for eventual mistakes. (i'm italian :) )

·
Registered
207 Posts
gbdemiurgo said:
hy guys,
I was wondering wether to change my night rod's handlebar and choose a longer one like apehanger or similar.
I saw that some of you have one of this kind so, in which way does it influence handling?

I have mini apes on my 08DX and love them - people love to look at my bike and so far everyone has "liked" the mini apes (black of course) I have posted some pictures in my gallery. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
If you have problems with your wrist; such as, carpel tunnel, then ape hangers aren't for you. Hurts my wrist.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
I think it's more about the angle of the grips than the height of the bars when it comes to wrist pain. The buckhorns on my old wideglide use to kill me. I switched to some apes where the grips stuck out more straight across rather than back towards me and I could ride for hours with no problem. The bars on my vrod are different but have nearly the same grip angle as those apes and I love them.
Everybody is different though, I've heard of guys going through 3 or 4 sets of bars before settling on one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can see how some like ape hangers, the buckhorns have to have the right rise and pullback and width, like any bar to be comfortable.

The one thing I always wondered is why on my harley's did I always have to change bars to find the right comfort level, but with my metric bikes..never a problem.

I think willie g does it on purpose. Its like when you think, now why didn't they chrome or black that out...you know $$$$ in old willie's pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I went with AW bars modded to fit our risers....check my gallery.....its a real nice height for me,and only needed a brake line from D model....sit pretty much straight up now,no more leaning forward.

Dan

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
gbdemiurgo said:
hy guys,

One option is to order a set of Sportster bars that are black and all of the cables will fit. Part Number 56113-98. I did this on mine and it makes an incredible difference in the ride comfort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
??

I like the one that moe dog is mounting, but what concerns me is the change in bike feeling at high speed or in turns; does the ape hanger bar comport a loss of control of the bike?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same bars as Moe Dog. Actually we ride together all the time.

The handling does change at speeds over 70mph, when your torso begins to feel like your are pushing an upright mattress into headwinds. Side winds..well you are like a sail.

You do get relief by leaning forward and down closer to the airbox. I have felt two improvements. 1) lower profile for the wind to hit. 2) changing the bike's center of gravity.

But, I think the most wind effect, at least head-on, is due to the small fairing, where it seems to focus the wind smack in the middle of your chest.

I also have a Softail Springer, no windshield and have not experienced the same kind of wind issues as on the DX. Which brings me back to the center of gravity and that small fairing working against one.

Now I have no desire riding like a "C" shape, if they put drag bars on the DX, they should have put mid controls. (my opinion)

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I found these users on instagram and they say its way more comfortable one user say he will never go back to drag bars.
Those ape bar doesn't look good on those VRODs. I think they just want to feel they are part of sportster with ape bar, jeez. Sportster is not a VROD, period.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
10" Z-Bars here. Stock bars were not so comfy for my bad elbows on long rides. Added a fairing to help with wind. Rides at speed like stock. Handles at speed like stock. Low speed maneuvering (parking lots) was slightly more difficult at first, but quickly got used to the difference...

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Those ape bar doesn't look good on those VRODs. I think they just want to feel they are part of sportster with ape bar, jeez. Sportster is not a VROD, period.
Dude you should seriously consider becoming a columnist for a motorcycle magazine... You definitely seem like you know your stuff.

·
Me LuvYou Short Time
65 Posts
Those ape bar doesn't look good on those VRODs.
I think they just want to feel they are part of sportster with ape bar, jeez.
Sportster is not a VROD, period.
Dude you should seriously consider becoming a columnist for a motorcycle magazine...
You definitely seem like you know your stuff.
He had me at: "Those ape bar doesn't look good"

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
10" Z-Bars here. Stock bars were not so comfy for my bad elbows on long rides. Added a fairing to help with wind. Rides at speed like stock. Handles at speed like stock. Low speed maneuvering (parking lots) was slightly more difficult at first, but quickly got used to the difference...

It is a good looking bike. Nice blend in with the Z-bar on VROD.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I actually quite like them. I have Ape Hangers on my Victory Highball and they surprised me how comfortable they are. Don't hurt my wrists either.

I had a 2010 DX and loved the riding position. The new one has more pulled back bars. I would seriously consider doing Forward controls and Apes on the new DX.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts