Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just over on the how to forum and saw the thread for drilling the exhaust. I'm sure this has been seen by all, but I am new and just found it. Has anyone here done this mod?? Its very intriguing, because exhaust can be expensive. The drilling how to was done on a different model, and I just wanted to know if anyone has done this to the R's stock pipes? and is it a difference worth the effort?? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
yes, and yes. or, send them to vmod, and steve will do it for you, or more - he does mods to them. Buy a second set, do them or have them done, and then remove and replace in an hour - no down time in summer. Then keep or sell yours. easy enough! Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you can't get a new exhaust and supporting mods right away I would recommend drilling. It sounds WAY better (IMO) than not drilled....

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Want Monster
69 Posts
Drilled Stock Pips

I also drilled out the stock exhaust and love the sound. Start with a smaller drill bit and work your way up. I understand that you can go all the way up to 7/16", but I stopped at 3/8". They sound great compared to the stock sewing machine and it does not require any other mods.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I paid $100 for a pair of stock mufflers (from another forum member superstar256) with 8 one half inch holes drilled in each one. It sounds great, should have been done sooner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've a 2006 VRSCR and did the initial drillings myself, started small and went all the way in stages, each sounding more and more like an air cooled hog. Finally took courage and a couple of hole saws in hand (drill actually) and removed the baffles entirely. I wouldn't say there was any noticable effect on performance, but the sound at high revs was amazing (a definite head turner). Measured the output at 5000 rpm @ 1 metre as 127 decibels.
Brilliant for announcing your presence on the road to both pedestrians and white van drivers, the only downside is no-one will ride behind you it gets unconfortable above 3000 revs. but to hear it flat out is orgasmic. still hits the rev limiter in all gears, top speed (indicated) is 235/240kph I ride in 30-45 degrees centigrade, bike has never overheated or had any problems, other than the norm (Head bearing loosening and exhaust trim bolts vibrating loose) All in all, a cracking ride and so pretty.
Power Commander and K&N Filter only other mods required.
Other mods Chrome & trim, Seat, Detachable Screen and Panniers for the occassions when I get the other Lady in my life on the back.
Will be taking with me to France at the end of this contract. Its a Canadian Spec bike and if anyone knows what needs to be changed out for euronorm type approval, I'd appreciate any advice posted in response

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did it and 1) it's better than stock and 2) it's better than samson calibers.

However with a good exhaust (V&H 2:1 - other exhausts are available) you'll save a ton of weight and the engine will pull from low rpm a lot more like a harley should and will gain noticeably throughout the rev range. Wails like soul in torment at full throttle. (But in a nice way)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Drilling the exhaust ( mufflers) is an easy way to a little more rumble. For more performance ( and sound, keeping the stock appearance) take the guts out of the secound volume. That is the middle connecting piece between the head pipes and the mufflers. It is unbelievably restrictive. You will need a way to enrich your fuel mixture if you do that, because you will now by way lean. A little more work but a better end result.

·
NSFW
1,985 Posts
If you can't get a new exhaust and supporting mods right away I would recommend drilling. It sounds WAY better (IMO) than not drilled....

Good luck! :thumb:
Yeah! What he said!! :them:

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
That "crackle" doesn't have anything to do with the holes, its a lean condition. You may be hearing it better, but if you're hearing it at all it's because the motor isn't running enough fuel. I wouldn't panic, the Rev is set up at the factory to run a bit lean.

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
Give in to the force - drill a few holes, add a tuner, a little chrome, and WHAM! Modaholic! Good thing I resisted.............(OK, I lied - see my signature!) Joe

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Has anyone ever drilled hollow points? I remember there was a member that did that, but unfortunately I never saw any pics / specs on how to do it (since it's not same procedure as in the "factory" exhaust).

If anyone has any detailed info on those hollow points I'd really appreciate it - cannot drill my "factory" one since I need it intact in case they decide to check my bike...

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
I've a 2006 VRSCR and did the initial drillings myself, started small and went all the way in stages, each sounding more and more like an air cooled hog. Finally took courage and a couple of hole saws in hand (drill actually) and removed the baffles entirely. I wouldn't say there was any noticable effect on performance, but the sound at high revs was amazing (a definite head turner). Measured the output at 5000 rpm @ 1 metre as 127 decibels.
Brilliant for announcing your presence on the road to both pedestrians and white van drivers, the only downside is no-one will ride behind you it gets unconfortable above 3000 revs. but to hear it flat out is orgasmic. still hits the rev limiter in all gears, top speed (indicated) is 235/240kph I ride in 30-45 degrees centigrade, bike has never overheated or had any problems, other than the norm (Head bearing loosening and exhaust trim bolts vibrating loose) All in all, a cracking ride and so pretty.
Power Commander and K&N Filter only other mods required.
Other mods Chrome & trim, Seat, Detachable Screen and Panniers for the occassions when I get the other Lady in my life on the back.
Will be taking with me to France at the end of this contract. Its a Canadian Spec bike and if anyone knows what needs to be changed out for euronorm type approval, I'd appreciate any advice posted in response
I did the same drilling then just did the baffles with a hole saw... Did the Gil's Box and K&N filter.... (with good phone support)

All my riding buddies describe the "sound" as an apache helicopter getting ready to swoop on them.... :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
With all these exhaust mods, do we need a computer upgrade/balancer? I know Harley has one for $500 and then there is the power commander...
Is this even a necessity for an exhaust modification? If I debaffel or upgrade to a VH 2 to 1??
The reason I ask is I am from the carb end of things and have always had to rejet...new to FI.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With all these exhaust mods, do we need a computer upgrade/balancer? I know Harley has one for $500 and then there is the power commander...
Is this even a necessity for an exhaust modification? If I debaffel or upgrade to a VH 2 to 1??
The reason I ask is I am from the carb end of things and have always had to rejet...new to FI.
Thanks in advance.
If you're going to just drill the exhaust, and not remove the baffles, no programmer is required. but if you're going to de-baffle(VMod) the stock exhaust or upgrade to aftermarket pipes you will need a programmer. Especially since these bikes run lean stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
My next question lies here: IF I just purchase a set of Samson slip ons, do I need a programmer?
THEN, which programmer is most appropriate for this bike? The Harley one or a Power Commander?

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I was just over on the how to forum and saw the thread for drilling the exhaust. I'm sure this has been seen by all, but I am new and just found it. Has anyone here done this mod?? Its very intriguing, because exhaust can be expensive. The drilling how to was done on a different model, and I just wanted to know if anyone has done this to the R's stock pipes? and is it a difference worth the effort?? Thanks!

I'M SELLING A PAIR AND IT HAS A LINK WITH A VIDEO, REGARDS,
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142432

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.