Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

I'm searching for a Sport Compact windshield 57861-06 for a Night Rod VRSCD, mostly for the mounting hardware. Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks my friend, really appreciate! but unfortunately my VRSCR has the bars and cowling of the VRSCD (a nice and confortable setup BTW) and I'm trying to put a triangle into a square here with the windshield deal. Maybe (just maybe) the windshield for the nightrod would fit so I'm searching for some leftover around as being an obsolete part for H-D, it's unavailable on this side of the world and just found it in the UK´s dealers but for some 600 USD between parts, shipping and taxes and honestly I'm not in such need at all.... Stay safe!

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
...it's unavailable on this side of the world and just found it in the UK´s dealers but for some 600 USD between parts, shipping and taxes and honestly I'm not in such need at all.... Stay safe!
I did try to order 57861-06 from the UK Lakeside HD.
They sent email saying sorry, we don't really have it even though web says we do. Order cancelled.
If you know of another place, let me know I may give it a try again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh man...that's awful. I'm still digging all over the place with no results yet. I found the windshield itself at rifle.com (Compact Mid-Sport for Night Rod VRSCD Replacement Windshield (06-11)) but it comes plain and honestly I have no idea if getting hardware for other Bike model would fit either on the bike or the plexiglass, so for now, I have nothing to solve the problem of having an "extinct" bike. If you manage to find anything that would work, I'll be more than glad to try it too. I'll let you know ASAP if I find a way as (quoting GOT) "winter is coming" and a windshield would be nice to ease the wind chill.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try to order 57861-06 from the UK Lakeside HD.
They sent email saying sorry, we don't really have it even though web says we do. Order cancelled.
If you know of another place, let me know I may give it a try again.
update... I found one in Spain... already ordered and paid. Being Saturday I'll have to wait until Monday to know if I got better luck than you in the UK. The good/bad news is that my bike is a VRSCR with the headlight and handlebar of the VRSCD, so the windshield may or may not end up fitting my peculiar bike. If they have the part and send it to me, it may take maybe a couple of weeks to reach me here in Montreal, so I'll keep you posted and if it doesn´t fits me, I can forward it to you at cost+ shipping if you want. So stay tuned. It's still August and we had 11° C this morning with 20-25 knots winds up here, so the windshield would be a MUST for me very soon or either I'll have to ride with my Canada Goose full winter jacket or wait until April 2021 to ride again!!! LOL!!!!

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
I contacted 2 places in the Netherlands that had it on their website. 1 replied and said they don't have it and the other never replied.
I figured instead of ordering 1st, it would be better to ask 1st since now I have this charge I have to wait to hopefully go away for something I'm not getting.
Thanks for letting me know about your situation and the offer if it doesn't work out. Only time will tell...

Reactions: Cmintegra

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad news... the spaniards told me the exact same story... "the part is obsolete, sorry... our website isn't updated, bla, bla, bla...." at least they refund me the almost 460 Euros immediately. I'm chasing another in a forum but that one was installed in a Muscle 2012 I think, so I'm not sure if it will fit mine. I'll keep you posted if I manage to get it and if it doesn't fits me, I'll let you know if you are interested. Happy and safe riding!

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
Ha. I had a suspicion that would happen.
I decided to try the Memphis shades bullet fairing. The place I order from has very easy returns (return label comes with product ordered). So I’ll let you know how that goes.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
Memphis Shades was sent back. I didn’t like it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh man... sorry to hear that... having these "vintage" Bikes evidently has the additional cost of being some sort of archaeologist to find and get parts or customize them, right? I expect to receive the windshield from the 09 nightrod maybe next week. I'll let you know if it doesn't fits me. Regards!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Windshield update dmlkm: I received the windshield and of course the brackets didn't fit either the forks or the handlebar...the forks of the Street Rod are 55mm and the clamps are for some 43-ish mm and the handlebar clamps are for I think 1.5 inch or so while the bar of the VRSCR is 1 inch. Also, the attachment points on the windshield itself make impossible to place the windshield clear of the light fairing that my bike has... BUT with some creativity and a bit of tooling I made it work!!!

At this point I would suggest you, if having a windshield is a must as it's with me, that you should try to find ANY windshield that would reasonably and/or approximately fit your bike and adapt the hardware with common and easily obtainable screws, nuts, spacers, washers, plastic tubing, rubber and not so much more. Less than 20 bucks at the local hardware store.

Look at the pictures and you'll see that without much aesthetic disruption, the thing works!

And let me tell you that at least for me, having the windshield has changed DRAMATICALLY my riding confort, safety and handling at speed, just sacrificing a bit of looks. I'm 5 ft 11 and even though that I think that the windshield ended up a bit low (the angle of the forks and the new reduced reach handlebar made it sit some 2-3 inches lower than its designed height) the wind deflection is very notable from the chest and with a full face helmet, I could go at the speed limit (or maybe a bit higher if you now what I mean...) without any wind pressure on the chest or the helmet (without the windshield anything over 100-110 kph was not only uncomfortable but also risky with all the drag and pull from the jacket acting as a parachute). I only got pressure on the shoulders but nothing like a deal breaker and I think that with a couple of inches higher and another on the sides, the deflection would be just perfect for me, but as it is now, it's great for normal riding speeds and conditions. Later I tried with just an open helmet and sunglasses and the bike is great even at speed bursts passing, so I strongly recommend you not to despair and as I said, get a H-D windshield for the most similar bike as yours and adapt the hardware. I found mine in a Facebook V-Rod forum and eventually eBay have something that could work.

Take a look at my pictures and if I can be of any help, just let me know and I´ll do my best.

Regards and safe and happy riding! .

Attachments

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good job on the install.
I was able to fit a Memphis Shades to the handlebars. I'd rather have my handlebars free, but I like having a windshield. Does a nice job of wind noise for my helmet and off my chest.
Thanks for the pics too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If anybody wants one of those windshields with the correct mounting hardware that came off my 2006 Night Rod in as new condition, mines for sale, $150 plus shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts