Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post about a guy that did his own exhaust but now I can't find it. My dad has a plasma cutter can I use it. once you remove the pipes do you cut out the weld on the end of the pipes then can you remove the bafles. Lookin for some insight. Thanks :boobs: :bash: :biker:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The baffles on the inside are in two pieces, an inside baffle and an outside baffle. To do it right you would need to make the cut exact and leave the outside baffle while removing the inside baffle. I cut both baffles out of set and they turned out like a set of force pipes, they were so damn loud they would make your ears hurt.

Max

·
4,638 Posts
I realize that most of us on this Great Forum are Mechanically inclined....But I believe that the best route to go is CHOPPER STEVE. Due to the fact that he has done so many VMODS that there is less room for error....Just think if you were to do it yourself and messed up ....Boy what a sick feeling having to buy all new Exhaust.......

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya thats what I'm worried about anyone have some stockers for sale. Max do you still have those pipes. I know i should what till I got the cash just got the bike had to pay to ship and buy a helmet and the wife made that face when i was talking about the exhast. want it loud now

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I gotta agree with Ricky on this runit. You just spent umteen thousand bucks on a motorcylce. For $150 you'll get a quality pipe mod from ChopperSteve and --- get a sound that kicks ass and gives you a new attitude when you ride.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
When I bought my bike I ordered it with the SE slip fit mufflers.
Meaning that the dealer gave me the original mufflers in a box.
I had them in the shed now for over a year and thought that it was about time to do something usefull with them.
So I used my favourite tool (no not that one you sickos) and grinded a big hole in the baffle.
The difference to MAX is that both baffles are still inside and no welding was necessary. It cost me only two good grinder heads and the result is that I can now use the stock exhausts as teleskopes.
I assume that the principle of the V-mod pipes is equal.
When I get my bike back from the 10.000 mile inspection I will test them and report.
Jan-Dirk

·
Todd
482 Posts
Hey guys,
I was the cheapskate do-it yourselfer :diablo:. Chopper Steve does great work but my father is a Mechanical Engineer and has taught me reverse engineering also. I have been restoring cars for over 20 years, as a hobby. I saw some of the VMod work :notworth: and new I could do that. All I did was grind off the inner weld were the two mufflers slip together and on the outside made a 3 to 3 ½ inch hole to pull the baffle out (go slow and keep testing to see if the baffle will come out). A plasma cutter would have worked better (just remember you can always remove more metal but can’t put it back when you take too much).
Again, I am not trying to take anything from Chopper Steve, I just love to do and make as much stuff as I can. I also make lousy money in the military (my recent divorce does not help). :2cents: And the one with the most toys wins.
I am off :soapbox:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
any chance you could take some picks, pointing out what weld you are looking at... I would like to give this a try...

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
I did a couple of sets myself, got them off ebay. I did one set with a drill, dremel, & 4" grinder. Tried another set using a welder turned up to melt the metal (didn't have a plasma torch) & made a mess. :sinister:
It's not that hard, but you have to be careful while carving! :cheers:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you make noise without recalibration ? By just changing back peices

·
AMF
423 Posts

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vrodjohn said:
Be carefull not to do your pipes the way this link above shows on stock pipes this removes both baffles only do this if you want it really loud the idea is to remove the inner baffle leaving the outter baffles intact. Max said he removed both baffles out of some pipes and it was way to loud. Check out my pics on this link.
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/s...hlight=v-modded

·
G'Day mate
175 Posts
Muffler packing...

Hi guys,

I intend on getting a set of V-Mods when the new USB PC finally arrives (hopefully Steve will do a package deal - hint hint), but in the mean time I thought i might tinker with my stock pipes to try and get a bit more sound out of them (try to get it sounding more like a Harley than a Honda).

I read a post somewhere about removing packing (fiberglass?) from the stock pipes gets a bit more sounds from them. Is this an easy process? Does the packing simply pull out when you have the mufflers off?

Any info appreciated.

Smasha

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
When I bought my bike I ordered it with the SE slip fit mufflers.
Meaning that the dealer gave me the original mufflers in a box.
I had them in the shed now for over a year and thought that it was about time to do something usefull with them.
So I used my favourite tool (no not that one you sickos) and grinded a big hole in the baffle.
The difference to MAX is that both baffles are still inside and no welding was necessary. It cost me only two good grinder heads and the result is that I can now use the stock exhausts as teleskopes.
I assume that the principle of the V-mod pipes is equal.
When I get my bike back from the 10.000 mile inspection I will test them and report.
Jan-Dirk
It took a while but here's the test result:

a) the sound is not as voluminous as with the SE mufflers
b) slightly less power in whole rpm bandwith
c) but still better than stock
d) I will change back to my SE slip ons

Jan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently v-modded a stock set of pipes and I am exceptionally pleased with the results. The sound is far superior to any of the Screaming Eagle offerings and the flash download for the 16 gauge S.E.'s with air filter is working well. I performed my own work on a beater set of pipes that were given to me as an experiment. I will now mod-out my clean pipes and do a swap-out. In the process of modifying, I discovered a clean simple approach that will help make the inner baffle removal from the inlet portion easier. See v-rod performance section and look for v-mod exhaust- helpfull hint! Plasma cutting on the rear section sounds better than the way I approached it however I feel if you had a good die grinder and a small cutting disc you could achieve decent results if you've got a steady hand. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Max said:
The baffles on the inside are in two pieces, an inside baffle and an outside baffle. To do it right you would need to make the cut exact and leave the outside baffle while removing the inside baffle. I cut both baffles out of set and they turned out like a set of force pipes, they were so damn loud they would make your ears hurt.

Max
Do you need to do anything else to the bike after the V-Mod pipes are put on? Airfilter or anything ? Also is that all you need to do is cut the inner baffles out? Do you need to take anything else out like the insulation?
:biker:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts