Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K&N air filter seems to need re-oiling more than I am used to. Put about 2,000 miles on the bike since installing the turbo. I already took the filter off once and cleaned an re-oiled due to the filter turning white. I just had to put some more oil on it today.

Anyone ever change or find a non-oil type air filter that can be used in place of the K&N like an amsoil or an AEM air filter.

Thanks.
 

·
Not Dead Yet
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
dmlkm said:
My K&N air filter seems to need re-oiling more than I am used to. Put about 2,000 miles on the bike since installing the turbo. I already took the filter off once and cleaned an re-oiled due to the filter turning white. I just had to put some more oil on it today.

Anyone ever change or find a non-oil type air filter that can be used in place of the K&N like an amsoil or an AEM air filter.

Thanks.
About 75 people are typing right now the same answer:
AMSOIL!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
:them:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
Bruce Helland said:
Amsoil has a air filter that will work with a turbo? Trask system? Dont think so.....Would like to know though.......
Get me the dimensions on the filter that is needed and I will see what I can dig up.

Fingers Crossed!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Bruce Helland said:
Amsoil has a air filter that will work with a turbo? Trask system? Dont think so.....Would like to know though.......
OOPS :hidesbeh: I didn't read the whole question :spank: :hidesbeh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
dmlkm said:
My K&N air filter seems to need re-oiling more than I am used to. Put about 2,000 miles on the bike since installing the turbo. I already took the filter off once and cleaned an re-oiled due to the filter turning white. I just had to put some more oil on it today.

Anyone ever change or find a non-oil type air filter that can be used in place of the K&N like an amsoil or an AEM air filter.

Thanks.
funny you wrote this, I too am discovering I'm oiling it often
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
o2man98 said:
Get me the dimensions on the filter that is needed and I will see what I can dig up.

Fingers Crossed!!!
you have a web site I can look at cone shaped styles?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
TurboRoadster said:
you have a web site I can look at cone shaped styles?
Take a look at the attached sheet below. I know there will be nothing on here that will fit the Trask system which is why I need dimensions. Even the part number for the filter will work, probably better to have the part number. Having this info will allow me to bug the filtration engineers. :stilpoke:
 

Attachments

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
louballs said:
not to hijack, but how do you know when its time to clean the amsoil...
It starts to turn white. If you look in my gallery and see the pic w/ my wife on the bike, take a look at the top of the filter. You will see whiteness. When re-oiling, they say oil, wait for I think 20 minutes, the re-oil any white parts. Well mine lasted a couple weeks and then I had to put some more oil on. I'm not liking this. I hope there is an amsoil filter I can get.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
o2man98 said:
Take a look at the attached sheet below. I know there will be nothing on here that will fit the Trask system which is why I need dimensions. Even the part number for the filter will work, probably better to have the part number. Having this info will allow me to bug the filtration engineers. :stilpoke:
I'll try and get the dimensions and maybe post some pictures later if I can. I think the big thing is the angle, the filter attaches and then comes out on an angle and has 2 holes, 1 for the IAT sensor (I think I could make something work though) and 1 for the breather. I can route the breather some other way, I have a breather filter sitting in my garage so this isn't a biggie to me either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
o2man98 said:
Take a look at the attached sheet below. I know there will be nothing on here that will fit the Trask system which is why I need dimensions. Even the part number for the filter will work, probably better to have the part number. Having this info will allow me to bug the filtration engineers. :stilpoke:
Those filters are custom made for Trask. I don’t think you’re going to find a K&N part #. However, if you give Nick a call (623-879-8488) he may be able to hook you up with the dimensions he spec’d.

Good luck. And if you can talk the engineers into designing one could you PLEASE come up with a color other than that obnoxious red? Getting that damned thing un-reddened has become a life quest for me.
 

·
Smokebomb King
Joined
·
5,211 Posts
dmlkm said:
I'll try and get the dimensions and maybe post some pictures later if I can. I think the big thing is the angle, the filter attaches and then comes out on an angle and has 2 holes, 1 for the IAT sensor (I think I could make something work though) and 1 for the breather. I can route the breather some other way, I have a breather filter sitting in my garage so this isn't a biggie to me either.
I already have the amsoil, i was wondering when i need to clean it, not the K&N. Sounds like a pain the ass though....
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
louballs said:
I already have the amsoil, i was wondering when i need to clean it, not the K&N. Sounds like a pain the ass though....

If you get too much smoke in your oil, you will need to clean it...
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
akjitsu said:
Those filters are custom made for Trask. I don’t think you’re going to find a K&N part #. However, if you give Nick a call (623-879-8488) he may be able to hook you up with the dimensions he spec’d.

Good luck. And if you can talk the engineers into designing one could you PLEASE come up with a color other than that obnoxious red? Getting that damned thing un-reddened has become a life quest for me.

Hey...its the oil that makes the filer red. Use blue oil...

Or get a black water sock...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
akjitsu said:
Those filters are custom made for Trask. I don’t think you’re going to find a K&N part #. However, if you give Nick a call (623-879-8488) he may be able to hook you up with the dimensions he spec’d.

Good luck. And if you can talk the engineers into designing one could you PLEASE come up with a color other than that obnoxious red? Getting that damned thing un-reddened has become a life quest for me.
The AMSOIL filters are NOT red. AMSOIL air filters have a blue media.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
louballs said:
I already have the amsoil, i was wondering when i need to clean it, not the K&N. Sounds like a pain the ass though....

When the AMSOIL air filter appears dirty it is time to clean it, in cars it is usually 1 year or 25,000 miles. You can either blow LOW pressure shop air across the media, DO NOT blow through the media. The other option and my preferred is to carefully vacuum the dirt off the media surface with your household vacuum cleaner. The AMSOIL filter is a surface loading media unlike other filters that get crud inside the media this is way you can do this style cleaning.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
louballs said:
I already have the amsoil, i was wondering when i need to clean it, not the K&N. Sounds like a pain the ass though....
You have an amsoil on the trask turbo? If so, what is the part number...
 

·
RIP ALEX
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
Mine has been reoiled 3 times now. Seems to wipe out the oil when Im caught in heavy rain.

02man, Id gladly ride up so you can get a good look at the filter. I thing the odd thing about thre trak filter, is it comes off at an angle where it mounts at the turbo so it can clear the radiator shroud
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top