Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
snakeman2
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking my for some advice from the vrod family...I want to paint my vrod..I would love to paint the frame as well I believe that this looks tons better..It would cost prob 3k to have dealer tear it down/put it back togetherdo ! :broke:its rated at 33 hours ( maybe cheaper during offseason prob could neg down to 2k but man thans still a lot of loot pant job would prob be 3k theres no way I can justify paying 5k)
I am thinking about doing something crazy like tearing it apart myself.. during off season. Has anyone done this? I know that some have and had great success. Now I must be honest, I am not a mechanic and havent done a lot of work..I change oil myself, changed brakes, but that is all I have ever done. If it takes mechanic 30 hours i estimate it would take me 7X as long. Am I crazy?
For me this would be a massive undertaking probally would have bike down 6-7 months. Would not have a lot of help with project. probally have to do it by myself. Anyone who has done this please give me your advice/input
-Anyone in Richmond area that could occasionally give me a hand?
-My plan b would be to keep frame gray and do some type of fade paint job that includes the gray and then has different colors included in tins.
-or try to find mechanic to help me on the side with job and cheaper price...
i want it to look maybe similiar to this maybe not as intricate

Attachments

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
How close are you to Virginia beach? Look Lonnie aka smoothrod He is the man. If you need engine work he is the man to contact but sure he could help on about anything.
Yes a lot of work and time consuming but very doable You just need to decide if you can do without the bike that long.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
I have done 3 of them. They usually take 4 - 6 hours to break down and 12 - 16 hours to reassemble. It would be the perfect time to add the larger 5 gallon tank (if you want one) at this time. There are no specialty tools needed that I can think of. Buy a service manual and it will help. The toughtest part is re-routing the wiring harness when complete. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

·
snakeman2
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks about 90 minutes from VA beach I believe that I could go without bike for that long as long as I keep telling myself that the finished project would be worth it...I just dont have 5k laying around to blow on bike..but could get it painted if I could save money on teardown.

·
snakeman2
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i guess if it takes you 4-6 hours with experience to tear apart I will probally take me at least 7 times as long... I will be in touch with you. I have got to figure out how to map project out and label parts etc..buy tools and lift

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Def want to get an owners manual, take lots of pics and some video if you can and mark everything with paiters tape and a sharpie.. Ive had mine apart except for the wiring harness... Should not take you more than a good day for tear down and a day or 2 to go back together... And Smoothrod is the man in your area...

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
There are lots of Forum members in your area that im sure would lend a hand

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
See the threat "I was bored", by joseph3dogs. 3 hours to strip. Then have the frame powdercoated any color you want. Paint chips. Powder is better.

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,066 Posts
I tore mine down this past winter as well and painted it black. If you powdercoat you will have to get it blasted, other option is appliance paint, its durable and looks the same as the factory black frames.
Have you thought of painting your engine as well?

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,066 Posts
I tore mine down this past winter as well and painted it black. If you powdercoat you will have to get it blasted, other option is appliance paint, its durable and looks the same as the factory black frames.
Have you thought of painting your engine as well?

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
no one has done it slower than me! after 9 months I got her all back together and saved a boatload of money by not having a dealer do the work

ziplock freezer bag and tag EVERYTHING as it comes off, make notes, you should be fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts