Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don’t ever remember getting blown around as much as with my V Rod. It has solid wheels. Is there any truth to the rumor That solid wheels cause you to get blown around? Has anyone that you know or yourself changed your solid wheels for mags or spokes? Has it made a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hey guys, I don’t ever remember getting blown around as much as with my V Rod. It has solid wheels. Is there any truth to the rumor That solid wheels cause you to get blown around? Has anyone that you know or yourself changed your solid wheels for mags or spokes? Has it made a noticeable difference?
Definitely felt different. Whether that was because of less wind effect or less wheel weight I am not 100% sure. I think it was more stable on wide open roads with wind so probably a clue there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't notice much difference, in fact it is less compared to the Hayabusa I was riding. I had an 07 Hayabusa with those large cowlings, and got shoved around a bit. I changed up my ride to my 05 V-Rod, and of course I miss the power, but enjoy the V-Rod more overall. I looked into some spoke wheels, and don't know if I want to spend $1,200 for them. Very expensive. I think I can live with some side-wind resistance on occasion.

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
Huge difference for me. With some wind gust in spots on the freeway here it would make you change lanes. i changed all my wheels on all the bikes and sent those solid ones for to be made into new beer cans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 02 with solid wheels and when it is windy out, I can feel the bike being pushed. I had a 05 with solid spoked wheels and did not have any issue when it was windy. I am looking to switch my wheels so I can ride it regardless of wind condition.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I had mine cut and powder coated years ago. Had more than one experience being blown around with my solid wheels. After having them powder coated now I don't have to polish them again either. Wheel cleaner and some wax for the brake dust. - Kevin

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an 2004 VRSCA with the solid wheels. When I snake the “P4Goat” with any winds/gusts over 15 MPH I FEEL it HARD. I have a drag bar config, so I have forward weight on the front wheel.
I rode some twists 2 weeks ago with a dearthair🍀. When a 35+mph cross gust caught me in an unbanked curve, I almost became a UFO Crash-Land Commander.
Shame because I love the look of the solid wheels, but they are problematic. Great topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts