Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vampyre
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question for you guys, over the last couple of months, been noticing what looks like some type of fluid on the right side of the swingarm. happened about 4 times so far, almost like a paint texture, possibly could be something i am running over on my daily commute. dealer also thinks the same, since it has been raining here pretty constant. yesterday dry and came back. seems to be just on the swingarm and blowing back on caliper. only thing i can think off as the plastic on the rear seat could be causing condensation and running on to the foam causing a yellow dye ? everything has been checked for tightness and cant seem to pinpoint were its coming from. thought i might mention it incase someone has experienced the same thing.. cheers...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
if your talking about that brown sludge good god man clean your bike!! J/K! no that is weird have you checked to see if there is mud build up under your fender thats slowly cleaning itself out and dripping on your swingarm?? I dont believe that could be oil, youd smell gasoline, brakefluid you could track to the source, If you have ballasts for lighting under your seat maybe that sludge is from that?>> just some ideas...

P.S. maybe your neighbors dont like your pipes if there to loud and are messing with you>>

·
revolt on
44 Posts
I'd look into it coming from the weep hole of your water pump cover? If so, a good cleaning may be in order. See THIS post.
i just read that post and i think everyone that owns one of these bikes should read it aswell!! scary looking shit...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I doubt that his water pump would weep THAT much fluid and make it to his swingarm, if it was radiator fluid, he would be out of coolant in short order, and he would smell the fluid. I would hope the dealer would pic up on something like that But dont rule it out.....

·
Vampyre
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies so-far guys, there is no smell of anything suspicious, but have noticed it on the fuel tank like its starting from the frame above. its really wierd, just seems to appear dry...

·
revolt on
44 Posts
what colour is the water in the overflow bottle??does it look the same??

·
Wick
546 Posts
I have the same problem. It appears after washing the (next time I ride). I have tried everything to stop mine, after I wash I run the bike to help it dry and use compressed air to blow out every nook and cranny I can find. I think I have narrowed it down to water sitting in the back of the right rear peg mount holes or in that area when I ride again it runs out on the swingarm and caliper.I mostly notice it in winter in summer it doesnt seem a problem. I did noticed you said it had been raining a lot, check in the area around the back of your rear foot peg and above I think you will find thats where it is coming from. Dam cold wet Aussie winters.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i agree sort of with wick ,its water coming out ur footpegs thats turned a bit rusty ,i noticed it on my bike when i got mine chromed ,the first time i washed it or have a look at that bendy bit of steel that makes ur pegs stay in place ,that also can go a bit surface rust and if water dripps through that it may discolor and show up like that , but thats only my silly opinion ,

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
It's definitely rust mixed in water coming from somewhere above that area. Look for a place in your upper frame where water could collect inside and then run out when the bike is moving such as under acceleration or braking. The inside of your frame tubes are unprotected and would rust like that with water intrusion.

I'd start at the tubes at the top rear of the the bike as this has obviously been coming down the side of the tank. Look under the seat and around/under the front of the rear fender.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's definitely rust mixed in water coming from somewhere above that area. Look for a place in your upper frame where water could collect inside and then run out when the bike is moving such as under acceleration or braking. The inside of your frame tubes are unprotected and would rust like that with water intrusion.

I'd start at the tubes at the top rear of the the bike as this has obviously been coming down the side of the tank. Look under the seat and around/under the front of the rear fender.
:them:

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts
I've also noticed it on my baby...right after it started raining here. I thought it must be water and rust coming from somewhere above the swing arm and figured inner fender but it might also be passenger peg as suggested...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
the rear frame tubes by the top shock mounts have holes in them which fill with water that goes rusty.it leaks out when full and drips down over the rear of the bike.i dry the rails out with compressed air and spray an anti rust compound into the holes then seal the holes .

·
Registered
30 Posts
This also happened to me a while back and after much WTF deliberations, I finally found the problem. I had just returned from a 800km trip of which about 700km was steady rain. That's when these brownish deposits started showing up; after every ride on a clean bike and dry conditions.
At the very end of the lower frame member right behind where the rear shock mounts (section that slopes down at about 30 degrees) there is a very small hole where when riding in wet conditions, water is forced into this section of frame and can't drain out. Rust starts to form on the inside and every time you accelerate, a small amount of 'rusty water' seeps out and dries on various parts at the rear of the bike. I used a very small diameter peice of tubing/straw, duct taped it to the end of my shop vac and sucked out all the water ..... couldn't believe how much was in there! It is a little difficult to get at. Remeber to do both sides. After a few weeks of dry, hot weather, I sealed the holes at the end of the frame members with dab of silicone; problem solved! Cheers, Gord.

Attachments

·
Wick
546 Posts
This also happened to me a while back and after much WTF deliberations, I finally found the problem. I had just returned from a 800km trip of which about 700km was steady rain. That's when these brownish deposits started showing up; after every ride on a clean bike and dry conditions.
At the very end of the lower frame member right behind where the rear shock mounts (section that slopes down at about 30 degrees) there is a very small hole where when riding in wet conditions, water is forced into this section of frame and can't drain out. Rust starts to form on the inside and every time you accelerate, a small amount of 'rusty water' seeps out and dries on various parts at the rear of the bike. I used a very small diameter peice of tubing/straw, duct taped it to the end of my shop vac and sucked out all the water ..... couldn't believe how much was in there! It is a little difficult to get at. Remeber to do both sides. After a few weeks of dry, hot weather, I sealed the holes at the end of the frame members with dab of silicone; problem solved! Cheers, Gord.
Thanks for that Ill give it a try I thought it was coming from that general area.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
look at the inside of your swing arm to see if the rubber stoppers are missing in the holes. it may be that the swing arm is getting water in it and when you ride it gets kicked around by the wheel and lays out in those areas in your pic

·
Vampyre
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks everyone, shall look into what has been said, no wonder i love this forum, always people that are knowledgeable and willing to help.
cheers everyone :)

·
butchVROD07
147 Posts
Netvampire,

My Nightrod did this also and I discovered it after a long ride in the rain. Mine came from under the seat and I got it to stop after I let my seat dry out and I cover it when I wash my bike. I don't really ride mine in the rain to much, so it has basically stopped. It drove me crazy too. Hope this helps?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts