Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Hey all, just curious if anyone in here is running an Ohlins piggyback rear suspension on their Rod's and if so, thoughts on the setup...problems etc.....
...Also, while we are at it, recomendations for/against Ohlin's/Progressive front fork springs? Or Racetech cartridge/spring setup?
Not looking to drop bike at all, just for the absolute best handling and suspension I can put on my DX.....

These are one of the ones I'm considering.....

P.S. - I tend to just cruise around back roads at a general med-high rate o speed.....50-70mph or so, but the back roads around here SUCK and have multitudes of shoddy patchwork done to them.....constant bumps and imperfections....

·
Registered
964 Posts
my personal opinion is you are trying to turn the bike into something its not.

That has to be one pricey suspension.

I think the 440's and the works shocks do just fine and will take it to more limits in riding than what you state you need.

I can speak from personal experience with the legends air ride and I think for the money they are great. I even had a fellow forum member this weekend say he wished he had spent the extra cash on the legends and not stopped at the works shocks.

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vesteroid said:
my personal opinion is you are trying to turn the bike into something its not.

Not So...I'm not planning on trying to take corners at major speed or anything...I know what this bike is and isn't intended for....

That has to be one pricey suspension.

Unfortunately, that's true....but that's why I'm asking...

I think the 440's and the works shocks do just fine and will take it to more limits in riding than what you state you need.

Most likely, you are correct, but I was curious if someone HAD TRIED the Ohlins setup....I've heard they work great on sporty's (Which I KNOW a vrod isn't;-)

I can speak from personal experience with the legends air ride and I think for the money they are great. I even had a fellow forum member this weekend say he wished he had spent the extra cash on the legends and not stopped at the works shocks.

Now THAT'S the info I'm looking for....What's their cost and more importantly, benefits over a "traditional" gas charged/emulsion system?
Will they handle CONSTANT bumps at speed w/out wearing out fast.....this is my main reason for wanting a piggyback resevoir shock....they stay cool and therefore last a good deal longer than the standard shock....Plus , the Ohlins' are quickly adjustable for both preload and dampening in those situations that I have a rider on the back.....

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Gripit_n_Ripit said:
...Hey all, just curious if anyone in here is running an Ohlins piggyback rear suspension on their Rod's and if so, thoughts on the setup...problems etc.....
...Also, while we are at it, recomendations for/against Ohlin's/Progressive front fork springs? Or Racetech cartridge/spring setup?
Not looking to drop bike at all, just for the absolute best handling and suspension I can put on my DX.....

These are one of the ones I'm considering.....

P.S. - I tend to just cruise around back roads at a general med-high rate o speed.....50-70mph or so, but the back roads around here SUCK and have multitudes of shoddy patchwork done to them.....constant bumps and imperfections....
I have a set of Ohlins that are just straight shocks. I did not realize that the piggy backs were available for the V-Rod.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
I am not sure of the ones you have listed but I have the Ohlins 36k made specifically for the v-rod and I love them. For me, they are worth every penny.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
I am not sure of the ones you have listed but I have the Ohlins 36k made specifically for the v-rod and I love them. For me, they are worth every penny.
Those are the ones I have and like them also.

·
Banned
837 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
How much did they cost you?

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Night Ryder said:
How much did they cost you?
I think mine were about $580, but you can find them cheaper.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
bikerabbi said:
$580 is very cheap. I believe they list for $1k for the set. I got mine for about $750 last year.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Be forewarned, the '07 and '08 AW's stock shock length is 13.5", not the 13" of past models. If you want handling performance shorter shocks are not something you would do. Currently, the 440's only come in 13", 12.5" and 12" lengths for the V-Rod so a cross to another fitment or a custom is what you need if you want to maintain stock ride height.

Also remember that because of the angle .5" shorter means about .75" lower.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
the ohlins shock ARE a terriffic shock! A friend of mine has them on his DX and he likes the alot too... however, he will tell you that a lot of the reason he bought them was for the looks of the shock, and to do something different. I was originally going to run the same setup but after some serious thinking have decided for the money to do the legends instead.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
bikerabbi said:
i have never seen the ohlins shock for 580... maybe 580 a piece but not the set.

·
Lets Ride...
475 Posts
I have the Ohlin OHHD202's on the rear. $899.95. I am happy with them but from what I've read on the Forum the Progressive's are equal in performance at a lower cost. I put the Progressive Fork Springs in the front, #11-125 @$79.15. They definitely made a difference in hitting speed bumps, curbs and potholes.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
i have never seen the ohlins shock for 580... maybe 580 a piece but not the set.
Opps, typo - you're right. Make that $850.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
They're an excellent shock for racing bikes. Wasn't aware you could get them for a Vrod.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
after riding my buddies trask DX with the ohlins installed I must say how great these shocks feel.

the back of the bike really felt planted like a sportbike does. They had a good ride even though they were very stiff. There wasnt much travel in them but they didnt ride like a horse and buggy at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts