Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

161 - 165 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The odor of roadkill is one good warning of an increased danger of hitting deer in particular.
Dusk and dawn near bodies of water especially during the dark of the moon, slow down and watch for any visible deer. Where you see one there are others. If one has crossed another will likely follow. Don't rely on them to keep moving away, pivoting back across your path is one of their favorite tactics.
When a collision looks inevitable you don't have to go down. Straighten your course and brace, release your brakes before impact and coast to a stop to asses damage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Release your brakes before impact? I never thought of such a thing. I once broadsided the neighbors yellow lab with a 2 stroke 250. Didn't much hurt the dog, I had a scab on about everything that stuck out. Shorts, tennis shoes, wife beater shirt. Almost got by with it, and have to wonder if I could have stayed up if I had released the brakes, and maybe blipped the throttle on the way over him.
Cowpieapex's description of the correct mindset for riding in deer country is spot on. Don't look at the friggin deer, look at where it came from. Ride slower at deer-thirty.
As for the cage drivers, don't assume that they are any smarter than a deer.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Two rules for every motorcyclist:

1.) When you put your helmet on, you are invisible to cars.

2.) If they do see you, they want to kill you.

That is all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got my first bike and am going to the safety course this month. I really wanted to thank all of you for sharing your experiences and knowledge with those of us who are new to this.

·
Lady 1130
6 Posts
1. expect the unexpected

2. Aim high in steering....be aware of whats going on ahead of your immediate space.

3. Get the big picture. How deep is your space, how wide....back off from billboards( large trucks or anything that stops you from seeing far enuff ahead) WATCH FOR HEADS AT THE WHEELS OF PARKED CARS ie opening doors in your path.

4. leave yourself an out. never allow yourself to be totally boxed in, or trapped.

5. Make sure they see you. make eye contact...use brights, horn, whatever.....if they didnt look at you assume they don't know you are there.

6. when pulling onto a street look left, right, then left again. Left again, because that is the lane which will hit you first if someone sneaks up on you.
Man, I appreciate this a lot. Full of riding wisdom!

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I ride with another rider or in a group, I always establish with the closest riders which area of the lane I want to ride (right or left stagger) and hold that position for the duration of the ride. It's frustrating and downright dangerous to be in a group and have the guys nearest you all over the lane.

161 - 165 of 165 Posts