Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a very important bit of wisdom or knowlege you think all motorcyclists should know?

I'll start:
Always keep the front wheel straight when coming to a stop.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Look at the front wheels of the car waiting to turn across your path...you'll be able to tell what it's going to do faster than if you look at the driver.

·
Registered
553 Posts
...watch for the dumb asses with a breakfast sandwich in one hand and cell phone in the next, and assume their oblivious about their surroundings at once... I can't count the number of times a distracted driver, as they notice their turn, or a sign, grabs the wheel and changes lanes as an after thought, trying not to spill their McDonnald's premium coffee in their lap...

I want to kick the driver's side mirror off to wake them up, but they always get a nice display of 16 gauge pipe's howl at 7-9 grand by default... That joyful noise we all love soooo much is the best horn I've ever found... :)

This weekend I did that to a dork, his window half down with a cell phone crammed under his chin, under an overpass, and saw him nearly turn off and stop as a result... (grin)... I imagined the yellow warmness of the rest of his drive, and smiled my secret smile...

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Make sure you CAN touch the pegs in at will - because some day you will come into a bend and find it is tighter than you thought or there is a truck coming the other way on your side of the road, and if your body doesn't instinctively know how to make a motorcycle change direction quickly you will die.

Research in the UK shows that in most accidents where the rider failed to make the bend the bike was perfectly capable of doing so, if only the rider had been prepared to lean over.

I make a point of touching in the pegs at least once a week, so I'm used to the idea.

·
buried alive oplin50
2,405 Posts
always

1. expect the unexpected

2. Aim high in steering....be aware of whats going on ahead of your immediate space.

3. Get the big picture. How deep is your space, how wide....back off from billboards( large trucks or anything that stops you from seeing far enuff ahead) WATCH FOR HEADS AT THE WHEELS OF PARKED CARS ie opening doors in your path.

4. leave yourself an out. never allow yourself to be totally boxed in, or trapped.

5. Make sure they see you. make eye contact...use brights, horn, whatever.....if they didnt look at you assume they don't know you are there.

6. when pulling onto a street look left, right, then left again. Left again, because that is the lane which will hit you first if someone sneaks up on you.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i look at the cagers eyes alot of times too... i am looking at what they are looking at. If they are making eyes contact with me, they are less likely to pull out in front of me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Before showing off on your Trask powered VRod make sure you look in all directions for any vehicles that resemble officers of the law...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
and....

I ride with the the theory that everyone out on the road is out to get me

·
Registered
298 Posts
How about:
When Fido comes a barking and chasing you, keep a slow steady speed and when Fido is about 5-10 feet from you give it a little gas. Changing your speed at the last second throws off the dog's attack line. Trying to kick Fido will only make you look like someone who abuses animals.

(But if it is a Chihuahua and you got a golf club please get video and share with us)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks a ton for threads like this, all. Things like this and the "what riding error pisses you off the most" thread are really a boon for new riders like myself.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts