Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noted that some of you (including Lux) have installed Progressive shocks to your V-Rods. After having them would you now recommend them and if so, on what merits? Are there any drawbacks and if so, what other shocks would you recommend? I have been put off airshocks as I have been told they have no damping.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can only speak to the rear shocks, GREAT! Period. I have not replaced my front springs, I will do that later when I change the fluid in the front. But the rears are great, single or two up. I have an F and got the black ones. Look great also.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I bought the 440s with Heavy Duty springs because I was riding two up a lot and we got tired of hitting bottom all the time. I found the Progressives to provide an improved ride and with the heavy springs I could adjust to compensate for load changes. With just myself on the bike I leave them at zero or just a little pre-load, which worked great for me (I like a fairly stiff ride). When my honey wants to ride, a few turns and all is good. Then on those occasions when we need to add the kitchen sink and extra shoes for a long weekend, a few more turns and we're good, with some adjustment remaining.

I would recommend these shocks to anyone bouncing along on the stockers as a performance upgrade.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the regular ones, I'm 6'2 230, a friend who jumps on the back is about 5'10 160 (she would kill me if she knew I said this), I have it on the second to the last setting and no problems. I'm not sure how a lower setting would be because this was the first one I tired and it worked. Good luck with this, it is a great upgrade.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have the Progressive front springs and it eliminated the wandering front end when you hit bumps and such. Under heavy/emergency braking with stock front springs, the front fender would damn near drag the pavement and try to throw you off.

Now the front end stays fairly level and it doesn't feel as if I'm getting thrown off the bike.
At 30k miles I plan on swapping out the rear shocks w/Progressive 440HD

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
I have the Progressive front springs and it eliminated the wandering front end when you hit bumps and such. Under heavy/emergency braking with stock front springs, the front fender would damn near drag the pavement and try to throw you off.
If I just change the fork oil to SE heavy Duty and leave the orig springs, Will this help eliminate the wandering front end?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
ladipogi: many reported that adding SE fork oil alone made a HUGE difference. I figured that since I had to take the forks apart to do the fork oil, might as well do the springs at the same time. I got the springs from forum member v-shop (sharkey) they were well under $100 bucks (pm him for a price)

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
I'm thinking about doing SE Heavy Duty oil and the Progressives lowering springs this winter as I already have the Arnotts in back...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have the Ricor Intiminators in the front and Ricors new shocks on the Rear and what a different bike it became

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
ladipogi: many reported that adding SE fork oil alone made a HUGE difference. I figured that since I had to take the forks apart to do the fork oil, might as well do the springs at the same time. I got the springs from forum member v-shop (sharkey) they were well under $100 bucks (pm him for a price)
Thanks AOW! I just cant help being cheapo... but it does make sense replacing.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
There is a HOW TO write up for replacing the springs with proggresivs...clears a lot... good reading food.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I was unimpressed with 12" 412 shocks. No better than stock.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I'd stay away from the HD springs.. I hear they're too stiff and the shocks lose all their road compliance resulting in a rougher ride. If you and your passengers are heavy, then ok, but otherwise I hear the stock springs are much nicer on your ass.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I have 440's and Progressive springs, w/SE oil, on the front. Great combo from Sharkey.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your replies guys. Food for thought, although Mike has thrown me off about the 412's. Thanks again. Jeff

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
I just got some 440's with the standard springs, I'm 6'2" and about 250 they work nicely for me...set pretty much at the lowest level for smooth riding, they are the 13" ones (couldn't afford to lose any ground clearance) :D

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'd stay away from the HD springs.. I hear they're too stiff and the shocks lose all their road compliance resulting in a rougher ride. If you and your passengers are heavy, then ok, but otherwise I hear the stock springs are much nicer on your ass.
Absolutely! Heavy Duty means Heavy Load. If you put a 150 lb. rider on these heavy duty springs you'll experience exactly what Kurt is talking about. If you weigh in the neighborhood of 250 lbs. and carry loads over 100 lbs. additional, the HD springs are for you. If the springs are compressed (even a little) by the load, the shock itself doesn't know what the load is, it just does its dampening job.

I tried the standard springs on the 440s and they resulted in a poor ride and occasional bottoming, almost as bad as the OEM junkers. Changed to the heavy duty springs and was rewarded with a decent ride, maintained ride height, and no bottoming out. Remember to choose the springs for your load, and there is an inch or so of adjustment to account for changes in load. And no tools to buy.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If you want the bike to ride like it was designed to,cut a set of original 02 or 03 stock shocks to 12 inches.Install the Progressive front lowering springs and run the SE racing oil.This will give the bike the true ride the V-Rod was intended to have.
With the bike setup like this,you will smile every time you take off.
If you don't like this,then run a set of 07 rear shocks set at #1 and don,t mess w the front at all.This will give you the terrible mushy ride that people spend a lot of money for on after market over rated shocks.

·
Banned
55 Posts
I have noted that some of you (including Lux) have installed Progressive shocks to your V-Rods. After having them would you now recommend them and if so, on what merits? Are there any drawbacks and if so, what other shocks would you recommend? I have been put off airshocks as I have been told they have no damping.
I have the fork springs (lowering-tubes up in the triple trees almost 1/2") up front and 440's out back. I love the look, however up front is a bit soft, the rears are great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts