Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see folks having put black ones on, the skull design and so on. My question is how to they stay on? Snap over, silicone, adhesive etc? Any issues with heat? I pretty much blacked out my bike and those are the last things to cover.

Bob

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I have chrome ones. It's double sided 3M tape, they aren't going anywhere by accident.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
the black ones from GR customs? yeah I've got them, they kinda suck. they aren't really sticky enough to stay on, and they're too small for the space so they have to be centered and there's still a lot of silver around the inside uncovered.

was really hoping these would be nicer quality. the "chrome" HD ones aren't great but they're better than these GR ones. I haven't put them back on yet after the first attempt came off - they'll need some addl adhesive

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does silicone hold up well under heat? Maybe that's an option... I see some covers on ebay and just was wondering about the 3M adhesive. Sounds like it will stay on from reading the other post. Is GR the same as Ghost Rider?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Mine are the HD chrome ones.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Does silicone hold up well under heat? Maybe that's an option... I see some covers on ebay and just was wondering about the 3M adhesive. Sounds like it will stay on from reading the other post. Is GR the same as Ghost Rider?
the chrome ones from HD stick on just fine.

the black ones from ghostrider are the ones i meant, yeah.

what ones are you looking at, exactly?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
cam cover stickers

I bought the GR black w/ the crome HD skulls. I just cleaned the hell out of the cam cover surface with alcohol and a clean cloth for a good mating surface, mine have been on 6 months and a few thousand miles none have come off. Getting them centered is a major pain in the as* as Scarecrow mentioned, and it doesn't fill the hole completely but it's close. Just take your time centering them, mine aren't perfect but I still notice them everytime I look at my bike. Worth the 8-10 bucks I think they cost

·
boo
5,211 Posts
yeah, but how hard would it have been to make them a bit larger so that they fill the hole completely, and sit inside the groove well? not clear to me why aaron doesn't make them "right"

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I bought the GR black w/ the crome HD skulls. I just cleaned the hell out of the cam cover surface with alcohol and a clean cloth for a good mating surface, mine have been on 6 months and a few thousand miles none have come off. Getting them centered is a major pain in the as* as Scarecrow mentioned, and it doesn't fill the hole completely but it's close. Just take your time centering them, mine aren't perfect but I still notice them everytime I look at my bike. Worth the 8-10 bucks I think they cost
:them:

Seeing that HD sells everything else they make in black I often wonder why they can't sell these in black as well.

·
911Punisher
129 Posts
I have the chrome H-D ones on my DX and they stick!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I have sportster caliper covers or buttons. I painted them black and
Silicones them on 2 yes and counting no problems

·
boo
5,211 Posts
I have sportster caliper covers or buttons. I painted them black and
Silicones them on 2 yes and counting no problems

huh? can you elaborate, pics? i really don't like these vinyl GR ones, and would like a better solution

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had sportster brake caliper covers P/N 42070-07 on my
cam covers for 3 years with no problems

·
boo
5,211 Posts
oh - the round skull medallions? how do they fit? is there space around them still, or do they fit tight inside the groove? got a photo?

and what did you paint them with?

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
I got the Harley ones, chrome.

Used duct tape to hold them on a piece of cardboard, then spray painted them twice AKA two coats.

Flat black.

Used the supplied sticky tape that was on the back of the stock.

Applied them when the paint was dried, and 800 miles later still look great and haven't come off.

The underside of them have a ring the sits inside the cam covers perfect, and don't allow them to shift in any direction when applying them. And the tape that came with them was already on the backside, and I think it semi melts when the engine gets hot and spreads more.

They work great, and a can of nice spray paint is cheap.

Oh the flat black I used was a can of high temp type for grills and such.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I used the HD chrome ones and had them PC'd black. On with double sided tape and never have a problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think i have something different, mine are actually a dome shape that i guess go on the fuel caps of the other harleys, they are actually a little larger than the whole area. I just put some household sillicone around the edge and they have been sticking just fine, never fallen off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts