Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting new wheels and contemplating single side rotor and brake.

Anyone here did one ? Would like to hear about your experience and see pictures if possible.

Also, Do u need to order the wheels for that set up or you can change it later if you choose?

Thanx

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I did one on my 04 B model Bagger. I had the RH caliper mount machined off, removed the caliper and powder coated the lower fork legs gloss black.

The wheel is a RC Components Calypso. I bought it from Rob @ Hogpro. He was a tremendous help in getting me the RH hub that I needed to make it a single sided set up. Like everything else this bike was an ongoing evolution and I had originally bought the new wheel with two rotors, so yes it's something that can be easily changed from one to the other or back. I also went with a handlebar master cylinder from a Softail that typically runs only one rotor. Switching the V-Rod to the single sided brake had no free play at all in the stock hand lever / master cylinder when it was done.

As of just recently I'm running a 13" custom made, grey, composite rotor from Tom @ Swan Composites which is way lighter. Tom also machined the rotor carriage and chromed it to match the wheel. I'm now using a chrome Hawg Halter 6 piston caliper as well. By the time I got it all put together it snowed and we've had snow since so I haven't ridden it yet.

There are pictures of the original set up in this thread below or if you send me a PM I'll email you pictures of what it looks like now.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122855

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
do you intend on increasing the size of your caliper for this conversion, or are you OK with cutting your stopping power by 37%?

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did one on my 04 B model Bagger. I had the RH caliper mount machined off, removed the caliper and powder coated the lower fork legs gloss black.

The wheel is a RC Components Calypso. I bought it from Rob @ Hogpro. He was a tremendous help in getting me the RH hub that I needed to make it a single sided set up. Like everything else this bike was an ongoing evolution and I had originally bought the new wheel with two rotors, so yes it's something that can be easily changed from one to the other or back. I also went with a handlebar master cylinder from a Softail that typically runs only one rotor. Switching the V-Rod to the single sided brake had no free play at all in the stock hand lever / master cylinder when it was done.

As of just recently I'm running a 13" custom made, grey, composite rotor from Tom @ Swan Composites which is way lighter. Tom also machined the rotor carriage and chromed it to match the wheel. I'm now using a chrome Hawg Halter 6 piston caliper as well. By the time I got it all put together it snowed and we've had snow since so I haven't ridden it yet.

There are pictures of the original set up in this thread below or if you send me a PM I'll email you pictures of what it looks like now.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I live next to Hogpro and Ron will do all the install of the new setup. I am also going to a 13".
I am using the hyper wheels by picard. Mine is an 09 vrscdx so i think the master is ok as is. but will replace it if needs to.
I am also looking at drive side rear. I want to open the look of the wheels but without compremizing braking power.
Thank you again for your input.

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you intend on increasing the size of your caliper for this conversion, or are you OK with cutting your stopping power by 37%?
Sarcasm works for you in every aspect of your life?

People PLEASE, if you have nothing positive nor constructive to add stay OFF.

If you cant be NICE, stay OFF.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
pretty damn constructive to me, are you getting a better caliper up front?

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I live next to Hogpro and Ron will do all the install of the new setup. I am also going to a 13".
I am using the hyper wheels by picard. Mine is an 09 vrscdx so i think the master is ok as is. but will replace it if needs to.
I am also looking at drive side rear. I want to open the look of the wheels but without compremizing braking power.
Thank you again for your input.
FWIW, I built a fast bike and have no problem at all with the reduced braking of a single sided set up. The bike stopped just fine even before I decided to go with the 13" rotor. I'd recommend using a 6 piston caliper if you go the 13" route.

I'd be interested to hear about what you use for the drive side rear and how it performs.

Thanks, Pat.

·
Ride hard be safe!
953 Posts

it would be much easier to swap with lower legs from a 2006 and up Street Bob they have 49mm forks and single side brake.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
it would be much easier to swap with lower legs from a 2006 and up Street Bob they have 49mm forks and single side brake.
and the master cylinder.
My single side Kelsy-Hayes front brake on my 800 lb Softail stops better than the 03 V-Rod does.
My Softail front braking is comparable to my 07 V-Rod with the Brembo's on it.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
im sorry, but that's really kinda hard to believe

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Sarcasm works for you in every aspect of your life?
People PLEASE, if you have nothing positive nor constructive to add stay OFF.

If you cant be NICE, stay OFF.
no sarcasm, was a honest question. Conventional wisdom these days states that about 75% of your stopping power is the front brake which equates to about 37% per rotor. I'm just curious as to what others have found when dropping down to one rotor or if they increased the size of the calipers (as race bikes do).

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no sarcasm, was a honest question. Conventional wisdom these days states that about 75% of your stopping power is the front brake which equates to about 37% per rotor. I'm just curious as to what others have found when dropping down to one rotor or if they increased the size of the calipers (as race bikes do).
If i confused your genuine interest and concern for sarcasm, then please accept my apology. However I urge you to revisit the way you posted.

My Q was that: I am getting new wheels and ofcourse would like to show their style, so I asked from people that DID IT !!! How to do it WITHOUT sacrificing braking power?

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and the master cylinder.
My single side Kelsy-Hayes front brake on my 800 lb Softail stops better than the 03 V-Rod does.
My Softail front braking is comparable to my 07 V-Rod with the Brembo's on it.
I was told that an 09 master is perfect and does not need to be replaced.. Do u agree or think the other way is better/ necessary ?

So what i am getting so far is a good master with a 13 rotor will be just as good. the rest is cosmetics. True or not?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Getting new wheels and contemplating single side rotor and brake.
Anyone here did one ? Would like to hear about your experience and see pictures if possible.
Also, Do u need to order the wheels for that set up or you can change it later if you choose?
Thanx
If i confused your genuine interest and concern for sarcasm, then please accept my apology. However I urge you to revisit the way you posted.

My Q was that: I am getting new wheels and ofcourse would like to show their style, so I asked from people that DID IT !!! How to do it WITHOUT sacrificing braking power?
that's where you lost me. In your original post you did not make mention of not wanting to sacrifice braking power, that's what spawned my questions.

I have done it on track bikes, but have always increased the size of the calipers to six piston, and used larger rotors. It's a good and easy way to decrease the amount of rolling weight on the bike.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
i singled out my roadglide and i will say it was pretty scary until i swapped to a bigger caliper..

·
Registered
399 Posts
With a powerful single front brake a fork brace really helps. All the brake torque is transmitted to one fork (obviously) and it causes the front end to twist and the suspension to bind. Those are bad things.

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that's where you lost me. In your original post you did not make mention of not wanting to sacrifice braking power, that's what spawned my questions.

I have done it on track bikes, but have always increased the size of the calipers to six piston, and used larger rotors. It's a good and easy way to decrease the amount of rolling weight on the bike.
Cool-

So If i get a 13" rotoe and 6 caliper, I should be good to go ? or good to stop? :)

Looking into one of this:

PM 6 piston.

HHI 6 piston

1 - 20 of 44 Posts