Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i figured it is time to change out the antifreeze. anyone know if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator before i pull the shroud off? any tips? also, from what i understand harley runs dex-cool, i've always be told with cars "GM'S" get the dex-cool out of them asap. it gums things up. was thinking of running the prestone that will work w/anything.

thanks, dave

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
There is another plug to drain the motor. Small bolt just over the starter. Check your manual to be sure.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
There is another plug to drain the motor. Small bolt just over the starter. Check your manual to be sure.
Ah yes, forgot about that. I opened that up too when I drained. I remember something like it was 5mm or something???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, everyone. does the shroud need to come off to get the drain on the radiator.

dave

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
As we all know, Harley-Davidson doesn't make chemicals. But they do sell chemicals with the H-D logo on them.

Recently, I stumbled across a thread from another website that revealed many of those chemical's true manufacturers (BTW, most of the H-D lubricants are made by Citgo). But the thread doesn't list the manufacturer of H-D antifreeze. So, I did a little investigation.

I went to the local dealership and asked for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) of H-D Extended Life 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant. They printed it out for me and I called the manufacturer listed as the "Supplier". It is supplied to H-D by Old World Industries, Inc. My question to the company was, "Is this antifreeze available for sale under any other label?"

Drum roll please...Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in a gold-colored bottle.

I found it at NAPA in 50/50 form and in full strength.

H-D dealership price: $20.00
NAPA price: $9.59
NAPA price for full strength (undiluted): $12.99

But what should be of significant interest isn't just the price; this antifreeze is compatible with "any color antifreeze" and it "Provides a guaranteed LifeTime of maximum protection when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed."

Since the Peak Global Lifetime antifreeze is exactly the same as H-D antifreeze (verified by matching MSDS), you can add any antifreeze to your V-Rod without harm to the system. However, since all V-Rods are shipped with this same "Lifetime" antifreeze, it never needs changing so long as you never add any other type or contaminate.

So, is the 28,000 mile coolant change interval just another way to make money? According to the lifetime guarantee on the label of the bottle, yes, it certainly is... but I think that I'll change it anyway for $10.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
You need to get a manual. It will pay for itself.

nothing personal....

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
If the plastic drain plug in the radiator seems to be twisting without turning, do yourself a favor and stop until you order a new drain plug. Mine broke on removal and it took HD three days to get the new one. Only $2.80, but hard to ride without one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts