Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter on the way, the local HD dealer offers to do maintainence and store your bike for a fee. It's $3.23/day and the initial maintainence charge is around $140 which includes an oil change, wash/wax, and 2 sparkplugs in the spring.

Apparently they use a third party site and the bike sits on a skid (apparently the type it comes in) and I believe they pull the battery and attach a tender.

I'm pressed for garage space and this would allow me to park my car in the garage. But I'm afraid of getting scratches on the soft black paint of the DX and possible damage.

Anybody have any good or bad experiences on this topic?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Never heard of it but you can ask them if they cover it or how they actual do the storage, and if they cover damage while in storage.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
I have heard that some of the New York and New England dealers do this as well as some of the dealers in the northern states. The dealers in socal don't offer this option so we have to ride ours all winter.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My local dealer, Carson City Harley, offers the same storage service for similar fees. I live about 40 miles from there, in the snow country. Nothing will chase the winter blues like calling the dealer, tell them I'm on my way, and when I get there, the bike is clean and ready to roll. Never had any type of damage incurred during storage, and they always polish it up before they wheel it out. If you can afford it, it's a pretty damn good service

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Check with some local bike shops. I know that one shop stores the bike for a flat fee of $150.00 in the loft of his shop. That includes a battery tender. you have a choice of having the bike covered(with your cover) or not. The storage area is also heated as it is part of the shop. So anyway some of the independent shops may be an alternative to the dealer.

·
White is Faster :D
1,704 Posts
Never used it but Big Moose Harley in Maine offers it free if you have racked up 500 in service with them...not sure otherwise.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Winter is the best riding here in Arizona!!

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
for 3.23 a day, couldnt you just rent a storage unit?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigjim50010 said:
for 3.23 a day, couldnt you just rent a storage unit?
Sure you could but then you don't get the maintenance, insurance, etc.

Whether it's actually "worth it" or not is totally subjective depending on your situation in my opinion. I'm just curious as to those who have experience with storing it at dealers. Still undecided.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
This option doesn't exist here in Florida. We are required to ride 12 months out of the year.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Put some sta-bil in the tank, change the oil,clean it up real good, rent a 5x10 climate controlled storage unit and put it in there for the winter. I have dont this with my bike and never had any problems. A few weeks before riding season I remove my battery to charge it. 3.23 a day is kinda high.

·
Former Member
1,307 Posts
My local dealer pulls the battery and puts it on a tender. Racks the bike safely and then in the spring alls you gotta do is call them and give them a days notice. They pull it, do an oil change, change the spark plugs, install the batter, wash and wax it and hand it over. It's a flat fee of $350.00. Well worth it as far as I am concerned. The bike sits in storage from November to March for me. So that's 5 months. That's only like $70.00 a month about. Not too shabby for the space back in my garage and the comfort from knowing it's safely racked in heated storage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easy_Rhyno said:
That's only like $70.00 a month about. Not too shabby for the space back in my garage and the comfort from knowing it's safely racked in heated storage.
I called a couple of other dealers here and on AVERAGE for a 5 month store including maintainence is roughly $600 up here. Or $125/month.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The dealer by me offers the same service, oil change bat. tender, and a wash and wax prior to p'up,in a climate controlled space for $350.00 for 5 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts