Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing you wouldn't be still lurking around here reading posts on a V-Rod forum if you didn't like the ride and decided not to get one, but do any of you know people who absolutely hated the ride and decided to NOT buy one? I bought mine through AAFES since I'm currently deployed, and I love the look, the attitude, and now the price of the '11 models... but still the idea that I just bought a $15k bike without ever having so much as sat on one is a little scary! I came from a 1100 Shadow Sabre, so the riding position is similar, and that's one of the things I loved about the Sabre.

As it gets closer, I occaisionally have my brief periods of butt-pucker... help me through it! :moped:

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
first roll of the throttle and I was hooked. You will be too!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey calereeves, I did the same (sort of). I'm just south of you; bought a slightly used 06 VRSCR sight-unseen. (I had someone check it out though and the condition and mechanics are pristine). Now the VROD is a complete departure from the norm for me, as I'm traditionally a street fighter and sport bike guy. Pucker factor is present, although its about half of your $15k-level pucker factor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
if u like the honda ul love the vrod. i also bought a vrod without a test ride. i also bought two after the first ride. i also had a honda before the vrod. if u plan on real long rides u can upgade the seat (i have a sundowner seat and saddlebags on my tourer vrod). as a side note i have a buddy who rides a sportster and doesnt like the vrod cause it is to smooth? He also hasnt rode yet this year cause his butt hurts (no lie)

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I bought it without having ever riden it. It's one of the very few vehicles on the planet that just spoke to me just from looking at. And it was the only one to do that that didn't cost $100,000+.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I saw my first V-Rod in 2005. It was an 02 anodized. I'd never entertained owning a harley in my entire life until I saw that bike. As soon as I saw that bike I told myself I'd have one. In 2007 I bought a D through AAFES without ever sitting on it or riding one and I never regretted that decision. The bike just makes sense to me. Now I'm in the market for another one.

I think you'll be just fine

·
The Real 13th Ghost
180 Posts
I would have never looked at a HD, until a fellow rider suggested the V-Rod. One look at the DX and I purchased it, even without a test ride. You will be extremely satisfied with the bike.

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
The two bikes have similar seating positions, Your old bike put out 64hp and 72lbs of torque, and although it was the "Hot Rod" Shadow model it was not really a performance bike. A 2011 V-Rod will probably put out 50hp more to the rear wheel and similar torque, so there will be much more performance than the Shadow Sabre.

What is the benfit of buying one of these bikes through AAFES? Will you still have to pay sales tax when you register it? Is it discounted off of the list price? You can pick up real deals at some dealerships, not around military bases, on last years new models or on slightly used garage qqueens. You can get real deals in the classified section of this forum on garage queens with lot of "custom" parts already installed. The point is it is not hard to save 20% of list, if that matters to you.

Stay safe

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the benfit of buying one of these bikes through AAFES? Will you still have to pay sales tax when you register it? Is it discounted off of the list price? You can pick up real deals at some dealerships, not around military bases, on last years new models or on slightly used garage qqueens. You can get real deals in the classified section of this forum on garage queens with lot of "custom" parts already installed. The point is it is not hard to save 20% of list, if that matters to you.

Stay safe
Yes, the benefit through AAFES is a discounted list price. They do however tack on some additional shipping fees. The price they claim is "typically" lower than any dealership can/will offer. I'm still in discussions with my dealership back home to see if they can beat the AAFES price. They'll either be selling me a bike from their own store, or delivering my AAFES-purchased '11 model to me. AAFES has some additional perks you can choose to take part in, such as a 5-year warranty that covers everything mechanical, AND the tires. I chose to opt out of the additional warrranty, since I don't plan on keeping the engine stock for too long, and as soon as I burn up the factory tire I'm planning ot put a 260 on it. But to answer your question, you DO still have to pay state taxes in the state where you take delivery, but the lure is that your list price is quite a bit lower than MSRP. (I believe the starting price for the '11 F is 13699 before the shipping adds and AAFES fees)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey calereeves, I did the same (sort of). I'm just south of you; bought a slightly used 06 VRSCR sight-unseen. (I had someone check it out though and the condition and mechanics are pristine). Now the VROD is a complete departure from the norm for me, as I'm traditionally a street fighter and sport bike guy. Pucker factor is present, although its about half of your $15k-level pucker factor.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! What base you at? I got 59 days left in country :)

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I rode the V-Rod at a Harley demo ride at a biker event. After riding 2 different bikes that day, I went straight to the dealer and bought one the very same day.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw my first V-Rod in 2005. It was an 02 anodized. I'd never entertained owning a harley in my entire life until I saw that bike. As soon as I saw that bike I told myself I'd have one. In 2007 I bought a D through AAFES without ever sitting on it or riding one and I never regretted that decision. The bike just makes sense to me. Now I'm in the market for another one.

I think you'll be just fine
I'm hoping my next assignment is to Hurlburt with RED HORSE. What do you do down there?

·
USCG
114 Posts
I'm guessing you wouldn't be still lurking around here reading posts on a V-Rod forum if you didn't like the ride and decided not to get one, but do any of you know people who absolutely hated the ride and decided to NOT buy one? I bought mine through AAFES since I'm currently deployed, and I love the look, the attitude, and now the price of the '11 models... but still the idea that I just bought a $15k bike without ever having so much as sat on one is a little scary! I came from a 1100 Shadow Sabre, so the riding position is similar, and that's one of the things I loved about the Sabre.

As it gets closer, I occaisionally have my brief periods of butt-pucker... help me through it! :moped:
I wouldn't worry about it, you will love the bike and will forget about your Sabre.....................

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't worry about it, you will love the bike and will forget about your Sabre..... have you tried USAA auto buying service ?? Also there is a "way" to order bikes through NEX tax-free and at cost. The Navy guys in Gitmo do it all the time and have them shipped to Miami. I didnt do it when I got my bike because it was used.
Interesting. Know any more details? My brother in the Navy in Pensacola, might have to get him to look into that for me!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I bought it without having ever riden it. It's one of the very few vehicles on the planet that just spoke to me just from looking at. And it was the only one to do that that didn't cost $100,000+.
:them: Once I saw that 240 rear next to the Sportsters I was looking at, I was hooked. Dropped down $500 deposit so I could mull it over for 3 days. Two weeks later my first ride was me riding it home from the dealer in 26〫PA, March weather. I've been smiling ever since

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
AAFES $13,699 vs. in store list of $14,999 is a great deal. Hopefully the AAFES fees are not too much the frieght probably would be about the same as the freight listed on the HD website.

Go to the classifieds, bikes for sale and search on Muscle if you want an F: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5033057

Remeber your bike will be new until you drive it off the lot and then it will devalue about 35% or more like the slightly used ones listed here. You will definately get one cheaper than 13.7 and it will probably have accessories. You can buy warranties from any HD dealer. People feel like nothing is better than new, but it is not necessarily true.

You should think about getting the ABS version.

Good luck in the sand.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I bought it without having ever riden it. It's one of the very few vehicles on the planet that just spoke to me just from looking at.
:stupid: I bought one without every riden ANY Bike in my life, the Discovery Channel Documentary and sitting on one in a showroom sold me. Fortunately it was 2004 when I did this and I Only wanted a 2002 so they where available used for great deals.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts