Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about to do the oil changing myself this time.
The thing is that I have been reading these forums a lot lately, and the oil question is so huge that I don't see the trees through the forrest (as we say in Belgium).

Does anyone have some tips on how to do it? Is there anything that I certainly not can do?
How much liters go into the motor, I read 5 qts, but how much is that in liters?
For normal use, will the 20w50 from ,let's say, Mobil be sufficient?

Thank you

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I have found this part to be WELL worth the time it takes...

"Optional - Unscrew 2 bottom screws of your radiator (gives you some extra room to get to the filter)."

roadster78 said:
, I read 5 qts, but how much is that in liters?
Thank you
See attachment. That book the dealer gave you called an owners manual is really helpful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
I have found this part to be WELL worth the time it takes...

"Optional - Unscrew 2 bottom screws of your radiator (gives you some extra room to get to the filter)."

See attachment. That book the dealer gave you called an owners manual is really helpful.
I agree with you on removing the two screws on the radiator support, but the 4.5 quart maximum capacity figure was a conservative value (used to avoid overfilling). This was later modified to the current 5 quart value.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
stever975 said:
I agree with you on removing the two screws on the radiator support, but the 4.5 quart maximum capacity figure was a conservative value (used to avoid overfilling). This was later modified to the current 5 quart value.

Really? Don't take offense, but I'd like to see that printed...I'd feel better with a little more oil, but I don't want to overfill... with the Trask turbo, the dipstick tells you very little...

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Really? Don't take offense, but I'd like to see that printed...I'd feel better with a little more oil, but I don't want to overfill... with the Trask turbo, the dipstick tells you very little...
No offense taken. This change has been stated by others here before. I attached a scanned page from the '05 Service Manual with this information indicated in a red box.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx guys, you have all been more than helpful.

So if I am not mistaken, 4.7lit + filter every 8000 km and I think I'll use 10w40 oil.

feel free to reply if this is incorrect.
Thx guys

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
roadster78 said:
... So if I am not mistaken, 4.7lit + filter every 8000 km and I think I'll use 10w40 oil.

feel free to reply if this is incorrect.
Thx guys
Don't just use any 10W40 engine oil. You need to use a "motorcycle" oil that is rated for wet clutch applications. You might want to check out some of the info posted by o2man98 (forum AMSOIL salesman) on different oil specifications.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
stever975 said:
No offense taken. This change has been stated by others here before. I attached a scanned page from the '05 Service Manual with this information indicated in a red box.

Ahh...thanks! Good stuff.

That is helpful. So 4.5 quarts is OK - not to exceed 5. What does your manual say in the Capacities section? Its right in front...

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Ahh...thanks! Good stuff.

That is helpful. So 4.5 quarts is OK - not to exceed 5. What does your manual say in the Capacities section? Its right in front...
The capacity section of the 2005 Service Manual has this value listed as you say: 4.5 qts with filter.

However, if you look at the equivalent page that I posted from the 2005 Service manual in the 2003 Service Manual (page 1-14) this Maximum capacity "Note" has this value listed as 4.2 liters (4.5 quarts). So there was a change between 2003 and 2005.

Of course this all depends on believing what is written in the manuals. I would also suggest looking at the following threads:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66257

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63193

and this one where Max mentions the change in post #13:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44518

·
Registered
66 Posts
I checked with the local HD dealer on how many quarts to use and they said use 5. Almost as much as my car! I have already invested in the HD syn, but after reading through these posts will be switching to Mobil 1 or Amsoil...

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I asked my dealer's service department about this 4.5 vs. 5 quart issue...their response was to fill it to the mark on the dipstick. Guess what?! it took 5 quarts. So, all the time I was adding oil between changes, I was just finishing the job! Haven't used a drop since then (38,000 miles and counting).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts