Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i would change my oil today but i didn't realize the hassle it would be getting the oil filter off,i don't have paddock stands and i'm a bit wary of using a jack although i am tempted to try but the thought of the bike falling off is putting me off!,i even unscrewed the radiator base plate to give me some extra room, but still coudn't get at it,what am i doing wrong!!? short of removing the whole radiator i don't know what to do...HELP!!!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
watch the video..link in my Sig.

Use a belt strap or Just grab the filter with the big Wrench or the big Pliers if all else fails.

Keep working at it and it will come off. This is why I like the K&N it has a nut on the end of the filter.

rod

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Put a 4x2 under the kick stand to help level it up a bit and to give you a bit more room to reach in. Get a filter wrench that slides on the end of the filter, a ratchet and long extention (for the ratchet) long enough to reach in without hitting shifter linkage. When replacing filter i rotate it 3/4 to 1 complete turn, and just don't over-tighten the oil plug or you will be getting in on the group buy for a new pan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah the first time I changed mine I had to use an oil filter wrench with a cheaterbar. They really put them on tight at the factory! Your on the right path you just need more leverage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers guys,i guess I'll have to be like the spider that Robert The Bruce was watching..IE keep trying!

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I used some oil filter pliers to wrench my factory filter off and was on there tight. You can make a little room by removing the two bolts that hold the bottom of the radiator to the frame and gently push the radiator forward. Like sullivancorner said, put a board under the jiffy stand and it will allow a good bit more clearance to get to the filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I won't go into the story of getting the 1st HD filter off, it was painful and messy. I replaced it with a K & N filter which has a socket fitting on the end, thus eliminating the need for a filter wrench. Yeah, K & N costs a bit more, but it turns filter changing into a 2 minute process.

·
Sergrod
676 Posts
1st time I did mine nothing work it was stuck on good put a screwdriver threw it worked fine just messy

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I use a Kobalt brand small strap wrench. Inexpensive and works great without having to remove any nuts or bolts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
managed to get it off eventually, found there was a bit more room going in from the opposite side to the side stand

·
Registered
252 Posts
Filter wrench for Mazda is the same size. I think I wasn't smart enough to work the strap wrench so I ended up buying an oil filter wrench. Now it takes longer to dump the oil then to change oil.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
2bucks for a filter end cap that you put a socket on you can buy on (I think its a 3in) at any auto parts store.

·
SJP↓My Horse↓
460 Posts
2bucks for a filter end cap that you put a socket on you can buy on (I think its a 3in) at any auto parts store.
Careful not to get the cheap billet aluminum ones though. Two of those things stripped out on me. They would work if the factory didn't put these filters on with an impact wrench. I wound up using a strap wrench and it took a lot of grunt but finally got it off and now I hand tighten the filters like a sensible human being.

·
Registered
136 Posts
YouTube is your friend....

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
The factory wrench from Harley with a short socket wrench works great or a belt strap as mentioned above, whatever you are comfortable with. I found that using a lift placed as far back on the frame as possible (as to stay out of the way of wrenching) and lift it high will give you the clearance needed and make the filter available. The factory does not install them tight but they can get stubborn over time, if all else fails, stab the filter with a large screwdriver and turn it loose.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I won't go into the story of getting the 1st HD filter off, it was painful and messy. I replaced it with a K & N filter which has a socket fitting on the end, thus eliminating the need for a filter wrench. Yeah, K & N costs a bit more, but it turns filter changing into a 2 minute process.
Totally agree!

·
Dragon
92 Posts
wtf were they doing at the factory???:chair: pulled the two bolts at the bottom of the radiator and actually twisted filter like a beer can before holing it with a screw driver and thread-by-thread backing it off. i love the K&N filter because now i can pull the filter without taking the radiator bolts out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts