Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Strong Island
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-I am a soldier currently doing a tour of duty in Iraq. After this tour I'll have saved up enough scratch to pretty much do what I please. I already pre-ordered my '08 Night Rod Special and I'm considering packing it, my dog and a change of jeans and heading to Phoenix (I'm from Long Island) to attend the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. I plan on taking the "Newer" Harley motor course with the emphasis on the V-Rod REVO.

Any thoughts on the school, housing, costs, tuition, whatever? Their website is pretty general and I'm looking for a little more flay-va...

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I know the VA will help pay for it and that MMI will help you find financing & housing (I think). It's a great idea! Give them a call and see what they can tell you directly!

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
Man that sounds cool, if I was more free in life I would do the same

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum. Second, thank you for your service. Stay safe!
On to the questions; MMI is a good school, and Kerri is right, the VA will help considerably. There will be gap between what the VA pays and MMI costs, so cost of living will play a huge part. The Florida campus is in a lower cost area, as Phoenix is very expensive. So, cheaper is better, for the same education. Sock away as much cash as possible, and tune up credit histories. You will probably have to borrow some money (student loans) to get through, but you are a safe investment. They will also help with placement, after you graduate. The other expense is tools. The Army will issue you all the tools you need, where, as a civilian, you own them, and the snap-on guy becomes like a drug dealer. Every week it will feel like you need another expensive thing, and soon you will be drooling over toolboxes that cost thousands of dollars. Budget at least 5K for a starter set of tools.
Best of luck to you, and your future plans. HOOAH! Joe

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
I believe my nephew is attending MMI as I write this. I will get hold of my brother and see what info I can put together....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome and thanks for your service, I just got back in May, ordered my 07NRS back in November of last year and picked it up when I got home

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
I knew several people that went to MMI. My wife worked accross the street from them. Where they are located is a good area. I could never figure out what they did for housing. As for flay-va, expect it temperatures about like what you are getting used to. There's a great bunch of V-rod riders in the valley that will be happy to show you around.

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
CPTJAM said:
First, Welcome to the forum. Second, thank you for your service. Stay safe!
On to the questions; MMI is a good school, and Kerri is right, the VA will help considerably. There will be gap between what the VA pays and MMI costs, so cost of living will play a huge part. The Florida campus is in a lower cost area, as Phoenix is very expensive. So, cheaper is better, for the same education. Sock away as much cash as possible, and tune up credit histories. You will probably have to borrow some money (student loans) to get through, but you are a safe investment. They will also help with placement, after you graduate. The other expense is tools. The Army will issue you all the tools you need, where, as a civilian, you own them, and the snap-on guy becomes like a drug dealer. Every week it will feel like you need another expensive thing, and soon you will be drooling over toolboxes that cost thousands of dollars. Budget at least 5K for a starter set of tools.
Best of luck to you, and your future plans. HOOAH! Joe
:them:

thanks for your service man........have fun!!!

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'm going to throw my .02 in here and might get flamed for it, but what the hell. First off thanks for going to that god forsaken place for your country. Now on to MMI. I work with a guy that used to be a tech at Bruce Rossmyers, he loves motorcycles and all, but the pay is the dumps for a Harley mechanic, they may charge $80 an hour for service, but you might only make $7 an hour your first year as a tech. I served in the Army from 89 to 92. I was in the Infantry, the only job skill the Army gave me was the ability to dig a big ass hole in a short period of time and I could strip an M60 blindfolded with out the operating rod flying out and putting my eye out, oh, and how to do a PLF. I got out and worked as a hydroblaster, a security guard, a body man at a paint and body shop and finally as a prison guard. I finally, @ 28 decided to go to college, I graduated from school 6 years ago and make well into 6 figures now, I'm not boasting or anything like that, I'm just pointing out that I could have been here a long time ago. Go to a real college and get a real degree and start making a real living as soon as possible, the Army's paying for it and they owe you anyway. Don't wait 10 years like I did. I'm off my soap box now. Good luck and thanks again.

·
Strong Island
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey hand-
I have a BS in Management (I'm no kid, I'm 39, but can still out-PT all the young bucks in my platoon). Before I came to the Box, I ran my own business in Los Angeles. Now, I agree with you 100% about higher education, but I want to get some schooling in something I actually ENJOY doing. I figured the pay was not that great, but when you do something for the love of it, you should break even, in a sense.

I am a MOS Qualified 96B (Intelligence Analyst) and 27D (Paralegal) both of which can roll over into quite lucrative careers...Currently I am serving as an 88M (Heavy Vehicle Operator-truck driver) 'cuz that's what they needed. Hell, even my buddy who works for Swift says to come on over with him once we re-frad and hit the open roads with him. Sounds good, but, nah. I love bikes. I love Harleys. I love the people and the lifestyle. If I can squeek out some sort of a living doing what what I love-then I'm ahead of the game.

I'm a minimalist anyway. I've got a V-Rod, a 2007 HHR, and a Black Lab. I don't need anything else, and If I do-there is always a cute girl out there who has it...

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Nevermind then, I was throwing out advice I wished someone had given me when I was 20, hell you're older than I am. I should be getting advice from you on how to stop chasing money and just enjoy myself. Good luck and God bless.

·
Strong Island
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Advice to hand-
1. Never stop chasing money-but just remember-it ain't money that'll make you happy-it's the freedom having money offers. If you've got alot of money and no time, what's the point.

2. Don't spend your money on hot chicks. You and 50 other Joe's are always trying to crawl up in that. Let her know you have money, maybe tease her-a nice dinner here and there is good for both of you-but don't go overboard.

3. Do it. If it's something you want or want to do-don't contemplate. Just do it. The only regrets you'll ever have is regretting something you didn't do.

4. Stay away from Iraq if you can avoid it. I enjoy serving and honestly it's not as bad as the news makes it out to be, but it ain't Lake Havasu on Labor Day Weekend.

5. Always get the bigger one. No matter what it is. Engine, TV, sandwich...You always seem to wish you had anyway...

6. Never buy an Alfa Romeo.

7. Never date a flight attendant.

8. Never blind date off the internet. Get a picture.

9. Never eat at the Pizza joint in FOB Scania, Iraq.

10. Don't take creatine before a 5 hour convoy because you'll have to shit within one hour. Ever try pulling 5/25 security with your NOMEX suit around your ankles? Trying to aim an M4 is not easy when you are dropping a duke...

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
First, thanks for your service to our country.

Second, pop on over to the Arizona home town forum. Lots of locals there. Good guys who can hook you up with most of the info you'll need,

·
using the baby revo
1,318 Posts
scania has a pizza place?

there's no pizza joint at FOB echo yet, but the mayor's pushing for one.

i'm a new yorker only by birth, have lots of relatives in the queens area; but the only time i ever lived in NY was when i was stationed at fort drum.

i'm tempted to look into MMI since it's just a three-hour ride from fort huachuca, where i'm deployed from.

·
Strong Island
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Allen-
Whoops-Not Scania-Cedar II. It gave me the shits all the way to TQ. Oh, and that avatar is super-cute.

Jitsu-
Great idea-will do-thanks

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Counter advice to Next....

1. You got me on this one, I worked 26 days this month and rod my rod twice.

2. Literally spending money on hot chicks, as in per hour, is actually a bargain

7. They are always leaving, how can you loose with this one?

8. Done this, it's kinda fun trying to figure out how to squeeze through a bathroom window at a restaurant. Tip is: never use your real name.

10. Try an Eotech holosight, I have one on my Bushmaster civilian M4 style carbine, it works wonders, if you focus on something and pull the trigger a bullet hits it, and switch over to old school 55 gr. bullets, the 62 gr. green tips shed too much velocity from a short barrel and don't try to do an explosive ass over tumble when they hit human flesh like the lighter ones do.

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mmi

I spent a little time @ MMI. Mostly doing manufacturer courses paid for by my employer but I got to see how they do things. It seems like a good school. Now, I have been in the motorcycle industry for close to 18 years and I always get the resumes sent to me by MMI. A lot of my friends also attended MMI. The bottom line is that whether you attend the school or not, 1st year techs don't earn much. They don't really understand how to make money on flat rate or how dealerships truly operate. My recommendation would be to find a dealership that offers apprentice programs and go get paid to learn. I have seen too many guys pay for MMI and not last a year in the industry. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the service and make it home safely.

U.S. Army 85-89 11C Indirect Fire Infantry.:cheers:

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
God Bless You for your service and best of luck with your future. I wish I could do the same. And welcome to the family.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I'm sure MMI is a good school. I can only compare them to schools like Lincoln tech though for automotive. Over the years I have had no less then a half dozen helpers. About half come from schools that teach automotive training and about half come in as apprentice. I honestly think that those that just have good skills that start as apprentice do just as good if not better in many cases. While the guys that went to school had some basic skills and basic information they really lacked the most critical thing which was diagnostic skills. Anybody can stick an injector in, you need to know how to tell which one is failing to make a living at it.

IMHO find a dealership in an area you would like that will take you in as an apprentice and get paid at least something to learn. I think your diagnostic skills are much better when you learn in the real world. Doing it on the flat rate for a living is not all that it is cut out to be either. You feel more like a short order cook at a burger stand, on some days you have to work on as many as 20-30 vehicles. Especially when your new, rule of thumb is always the new guy gets the shit. :)

That is all based on my opinion only. I have been an ASE certified master for 30 years and the only schooling I got was years after I had been working on cars and then only to certify so GM would pay warranty claims on cars I worked on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts