Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any historical insight into OEM H-D 1250cc Pistons/Rings ? Which ones are the best with least oil consumption ? Why 3 different ring P/N's ?

The piston/liner assy,rings, piston pin updated and are used since the '05KA Piston/Liner, -05K Rings and '08K Piston Pin, No problem.

The rings have been same P/N since '05, then changed in 2014 only on the DX to 22910-06K, and only on the F to 22910-05K, Why ?

The early 1250 S/E pistons had black coated skirts, then newer 1250 all aluminum, both Mahle Pistons ? Forged or cast ? Then newer yet 1250 all black coated 22934-08K Piston Assy Kit is obsolete, looks like they were made in Brazil, and are the black ones - did they have failures ? Forged or cast ?

2005 - 2006 S/E 22928-05K Piston/Liner/ 22919-05K Rings / 22126 -05K Pin

2008 up DX,AW 22928-05KA / 22919-05K same# / 22953-08K

2014 - 2017 DX 22928-05KA / 22910-06K new# / 22953-08K

2014 - 2017 F 22928-05KA / 22910-05K new# / 22953-08K

Thanks for any Revolution Guru's and parts brains that may have the big picture ( historical insight ) on these Piston/Rings changes and which have been proven best over time ! :blahblah: :D

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction -

Edit - Excuse my faux pas on those ring P/N's- there are just 2 P/N's for 1250 ring sets -

22919-05K Used by virtually every 1250 Revo except for the DX for 3 years 2014-2016

21910-06K DX switched to this P/N from 2014-2016, then back to 22919-05K in 2017, Why, any advantage or problems ? They are only $ 12 more expensive than the -05K's - but were these an answer to oil consumption / ring break-in problems on the new bikes ? H-D went back to the -05K rings so I'm thinking the -06K's didn't work out ?

The early 1250 S/E pistons had black coated skirts, then newer 1250 pistons were all aluminum, both Mahle Pistons ? Forged or cast ? Then newer yet 1250 all black coated 22934-08K Piston Assy Kit is obsolete, looks like they were made in Brazil, and are the black ones - did they have failures ? Forged or cast ? I've seen some piston skirts broken in old threads here, most were Wiseco 4.250 Pistons but a few looked like OEM, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

If CP pistons sold a forged 12-1 C/R 4.134" stock diameter piston I would just buy them but they have chrome rings and require a special honing procedure, difficult to do on stock dia. liners - hence their case overbore 4.250 liners and pistons setup. Not sure I need all that and CP custom 4.134 pistons and correct stock liner honing is basically the cost of the case overbore, so that's why I'm looking at buying the best OEM parts. Looking to be putting out 130-135 RwHp with my ported heads, high flow valves and Jones cams, so how will the OEM pistons hold up ? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :blahblah::D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im curious about this too. I have a '13 nightrod with nearly nothing for miles on it that I bought on ebay. I also found an outfit on ebay selling brand new 1/8" shorter K-1 rods for use with 1/4" stroker crank. they will allow you to use the stock pistons. (they have more available BTW $89 a set.) but id like to know if the stock pistons can hold up to drag racing use. I figured this would make a great low budget practice motor. from what I was told all the V-rod pistons are forged by MAHL? BTW does anyone know what the compression ends up at with stock pistons and a 1/4" stroke?

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent hours looking up piston info here and I believe they are forged, but I think you have to watch for piston skirt clearance at BDC, I'm sure you could find info here if it's been done someone has spoken about it. Let's work the heck out of the search function while we wait for a Guru to chime in, R.D.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I spent hours looking up piston info here and I believe they are forged, but I think you have to watch for piston skirt clearance at BDC, I'm sure you could find info here if it's been done someone has spoken about it. Let's work the heck out of the search function while we wait for a Guru to chime in, R.D.
Well, still no expert advise. I found what appears to be a great deal on two sets of piston and sleeve assemblies (new) but want to be sure they are good candidates for my build. I d sure like to know what compression ratio and if anyone has any idea if the notches are sufficient for .500" intake and .460" exhaust lift with 1mm larger valves also..

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roddy whats the P/N's of what you are looking at ? Don't buy the Brazilian '08 piston sets, they are now obsolete - I'm sure for a very good reason. The 1250 Liners are probably OK, but normally those are sold together with match fit pistons so if you mix and match it's on you to optimize the fit between the two, from what I've learned.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Roddy whats the P/N's of what you are looking at ? Don't buy the Brazilian '08 piston sets, they are now obsolete - I'm sure for a very good reason. The 1250 Liners are probably OK, but normally those are sold together with match fit pistons so if you mix and match it's on you to optimize the fit between the two, from what I've learned.
Well, not sure what the part number is for the pistons in the kit but the piston cylinder combo part#: 22926-01ka. I hope those are good pistons... by looking at different pictures of the 1250cc pistons the only difference I can see is that some have the skirt coating and some don't. there may be more to it than that but I have no idea. I bought two of them at $119 per set N.O.S. off ebay.. I figured I can use the liners weather I use the pistons or not. my most immediate concern is valve clearance with +1mm valves and my Jones stg. III cams (which just arrived BTW!!:) ) second is compression ratio, these pistons in a stock 1250 are supposed to be 11.50-1 and im guessing with the 1/4" extra stroke they should be about 12 to 1(?) that's lower than what I originally wanted....BUT should be easier to tune and might run well on pump premium fuel also. The reason im considering stock pistons is that they are cheap and easy to find in case I smoke a one. (ive already got a set.) the problem is that if I need to have deeper valve reliefs cut it will lower compression, and the added expense will negate any savings over buying a set of CP's. Oh, and im just guessing that the price for just the liners from the dealership is probably more than what I paid for the complete sets. If I don't end up using the pistons and rings im sure someone here on the forum can.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Well, not sure what the part number is for the pistons in the kit but the piston cylinder combo part#: 22926-01ka. I hope those are good pistons... by looking at different pictures of the 1250cc pistons the only difference I can see is that some have the skirt coating and some don't. there may be more to it than that but I have no idea. I bought two of them at $119 per set N.O.S. off ebay.. I figured I can use the liners weather I use the pistons or not. my most immediate concern is valve clearance with +1mm valves and my Jones stg. III cams (which just arrived BTW!!:) ) second is compression ratio, these pistons in a stock 1250 are supposed to be 11.50-1 and im guessing with the 1/4" extra stroke they should be about 12 to 1(?) that's lower than what I originally wanted....BUT should be easier to tune and might run well on pump premium fuel also. The reason im considering stock pistons is that they are cheap and easy to find in case I smoke a one. (ive already got a set.) the problem is that if I need to have deeper valve reliefs cut it will lower compression, and the added expense will negate any savings over buying a set of CP's. Oh, and im just guessing that the price for just the liners from the dealership is probably more than what I paid for the complete sets. If I don't end up using the pistons and rings im sure someone here on the forum can.
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I am pretty sure 22926-01ka is the piston/liner assy for the 1130cc motor and 22928-05KA is the part number for the 1250cc piston/liner assy.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's correct Coastrider, the first 1250's were in '05 model year hence the p/n 22928-05K, that's now obsolete, later it was updated to p/n 22928-05KA which is the current # for one Piston & Liner Assy., with 2 compression rings, one oil control ring assy. one piston pin, two circlips and two liner O Rings, last time I checked with the H-D tech line 6 months ago.
Roddy after much research I've come to the conclusion that if we are going 1/4 or up stroker it looks best to cut to the chase and get the CP pistons, they already have deep valve pockets and other features that make them superior to a stock piston. And if you don't smoke a stock piston you won't need a spare stock piston to replace it with. Just makes sense, others here already found out. I hear the stock liners are preferred as they are harder than the Advanced liners, and wear longer, I've got no proof on that but the honing on the stock liners I guess is OK for CP pistons or stock as they both have chrome ring sets. Don't forget the .027 Cometic gaskets will raise the compression, I'm guessing a couple points, anyone know how much ? :blahblah: :D

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get " Piston Head " - NOT Good. ):

Roddy - Three - no, now four choices - 1) save the liners for the 1130's for a 14-1 1130cc CP piston build engine later on (as a backup to your 1250) and sell the pistons 2) Put them all back on flea bay and try to sell to someone that needs them, wants them or doesn't know what they are 3) Sell the pistons for ashtrays ( or use them yourself if you smoke ) and use the liners for 4" exit exhaust tips for your V Rod or your race car 4) Mount both the liners upside down on a 2 x 12, using the flange to lock them down, slide lubed pistons in, drill a hole in the side near the bottom, squirt in lighter fluid, add a wick, light and stand back - and take bets on how high the piston goes ! BIG HEAD BANGING FUN ! :banghead: ( Hard hats suggested to avoid :angelwin: ) HAPPY NEW YEAR !! Stay Safe out there !! :blahblah: :D:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Roddy - Three - no, now four choices - 1) save the liners for the 1130's for a 14-1 1130cc CP piston build engine later on (as a backup to your 1250) and sell the pistons 2) Put them all back on flea bay and try to sell to someone that needs them, wants them or doesn't know what they are 3) Sell the pistons for ashtrays ( or use them yourself if you smoke ) and use the liners for 4" exit exhaust tips for your V Rod or your race car 4) Mount both the liners upside down on a 2 x 12, using the flange to lock them down, slide lubed pistons in, drill a hole in the side near the bottom, squirt in lighter fluid, add a wick, light and stand back - and take bets on how high the piston goes ! BIG HEAD BANGING FUN ! :banghead: ( Hard hats suggested to avoid :angelwin: ) HAPPY NEW YEAR !! Stay Safe out there !! :blahblah: :D:D
LOL! you have some great ideas (btw when I got home from work this morning the first thing I did is pull one and I knew by looking at the top of the piston that they were the wrong ones.. dammit! :banghead: measuted them anyway and of course: 3.943") soooo yeah I briefly thought about the high compression 1130 thing but really its backwards of what I want to do.. the guy misrepresented what he had so if he doesn't want to cooperate I will file a complaint and get my money back one way or the other..i just don't understand why im having issues buying v rod items on ebay, ive NEVER had issues before with ebay, why now? ive bought 4 bikes and an oil barrons fortune of other hot rod and motorcycle parts without so much as a hiccup and now ive been burned 3 times in 3 tries. I guess V rods and ebay just don't mix.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
.i just don't understand why im having issues buying v rod items on ebay, ive NEVER had issues before with ebay, why now? I guess V rods and ebay just don't mix.
I think part of the problem is that some of the sellers just don't understand the layers of model changes associated with the V Rod and another part is you have a couple of dodgy sellers (rfr9*** for one) that sell quite a lot of stuff and don't mind being a little "flexible" in their descriptions. I spend quite a lot of time looking through EBay and have seen many obvious misrepresentations.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think part of the problem is that some of the sellers just don't understand the layers of model changes associated with the V Rod and another part is you have a couple of dodgy sellers (rfr9*** for one) that sell quite a lot of stuff and don't mind being a little "flexible" in their descriptions. I spend quite a lot of time looking through EBay and have seen many obvious misrepresentations.
definitely some suspicious characters. one guy sold me S.E.II cams and all I got was an empty box.

·
Registered
124 Posts
theres a seller on our trade me in nz selling two vrod heads for 990 dollars with no cam caps,makes them completly useless.no concience at all.
yes, I looked at a set of ported racing heads but no caps... really cheap but mostly worthless. id thought about buying them and try to fit caps from other heads but figured it would ultimately be a waste of time and money. I even considered buying them to use as a template for porting my own heads, but ultimately I passed on them... if I could get the set for about $100 id go for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts