Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, any of you R pilots regularly scrape hard parts at other than slow speed? I can't ride as aggressively as I used to and I am wondering if the lean angle aspect of the R is as important as it is made out to be.

If you have read the other areas you might have seen my post looking for discussion on this topic. If so, you will know it has gone seriously awry.:D I am asking an honest question and really trying to understand this issue as I am about to plunk down some $$$ for new shocks and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Thanks!!

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
I haven't scraped anything on mine, and I ride it like i stole it most of the time. I am sure that I have come close to scraping, but alas no sparks from my R.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
I wouldn't think the lean angle would change much with an even lowering job front and rear. What you are reducing is the total amount of clearance before you scrape. Mike, sticky tires and hang off the side of it keeping the bike more upright will get you through the turns probably faster than when you lowered it. When I lowered my bike, I changed my riding style to hanging way off the side in a turn and could still smoke through alot of my popular turns at about the same speed.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
The only ride I scraped on was going through the Ozarks in a hairpin turn marked 20 at 55-60 downhill. It was thrilling, but not something I want to do everyday. You got a long way to go sideways before scraping :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
when I had the 180 on, I would scrape on one particular corner out in the middle of nowhere. If there were more corners down here I would try all the time. With the 240 I just don't push it hard, to busy profiling ya know

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to keep my R at the present ride height. I don't ride as hard as I used to, but for safetys sake, I don't want to go into a corner a little hot and find out I just screwed myself just because I wanted to touch my feet flat footed.

So before I spend $600+ on some shocks I am trying to do my due dilligence and find out if I am giving up lean angle that I will need.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
So show up and ride mine. find out for yourself.
anytime, just let me know.
Hollister, Ca. Mountains and coast highway near by. :moped:

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Only thing I seem to scrape is the outside edge of my right boot. And I've still got a good quarter of an inch chicken strip on my 180 back tyre.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
look at your tires and see how much lean you have left. I have a bout a 1/2 inch before I run out of tread, and I've never scraped.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Mike, I went to SAE's website to get the standard, J1168. They want $47 to download the darn thing. I don't want to know that bad. Sorry.
Unless you know what the standard is, you can't intelligently talk about what changes to the bike will do to the lean angle. You could draw pictures and try to extrapolate the new lean angle at reduced ground clearance but that is just guessing.
Lowering the bike will lower cg the same amount as you physically reduce ground clearance. If you lower the cg 1 inch, how much do you buy in cornering?
I don't think the change in cg will affect the amount of acceleration you are able to generate because you lean. This is to maintain a force on the contact patch that is nearly perpendicular to the road surface.
Think about this, if the weight of the bike is greater or lesser, do you lean more at a given speed, all other things being the same? What you are doing is moving cg to maintain the down force at the area of contact.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HawkStang said:
So show up and ride mine. find out for yourself.
anytime, just let me know.
Hollister, Ca. Mountains and coast highway near by. :moped:
I used to go to Hollister every week to ride my dirt bike. I grew up in Salinas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I scrape regularly. I bought this bike to be able to ride comfortably with my friends with cruisers and also tear it up a little with my sportbike buddies. (My CBR1100XX is painful when riding slow) On a recent trip to Deal's gap I had it down enough to have the peg fold up on me a little.

I just ordered the Hypersports spring kit. This lowers the front .6 inches (info from another member) I didn't want to drop the height any but from what I have read these springs have a big increase comfort and handleing.

I think it all depends on how you ride. I rode a 'A' and had to watch it in the turns through the mountains. If you can ride an A without scraping the pegs, you can lower the R quite a bit with out having to worry. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have scraped the peg feeler off the right peg. It was not smart but I hit a curve going way too fast. In 10K of riding No GA mountain roads I have only scraped pegs three times. I scraped twice on the right side and once on the left.

It woke me up each time. I usually move my foot back up on the exhaust so I do not catch my foot. My riding buddies have Monsters and a Ninja and I have no problem staying with an even passing them.

Overall, if you are scraping pegs on this bike you are probably going too fast to ride safely on the streets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The R scrapes!

I ride mine regularly at Deals Gap and I've ground the feeler pegs off both pegs. Moreover, in a left hand turn, I drag the shift lever until it shifts up a gear. That's scary!! On the right, I've ground about a 2 inch square patch on the exhaust. There is no chicken strip anywhere on the rear tire. The bike handles great with the pegs grinding the payement. I'm about 170 and I have the rear preload all the way up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Peg Grinding at Deals Gap

betsybo said:
I ride mine regularly at Deals Gap and I've ground the feeler pegs off both pegs. Moreover, in a left hand turn, I drag the shift lever until it shifts up a gear. That's scary!! On the right, I've ground about a 2 inch square patch on the exhaust. There is no chicken strip anywhere on the rear tire. The bike handles great with the pegs grinding the payement. I'm about 170 and I have the rear preload all the way up.
:worthless
Peg grinding on the Dragon . . . we definitely need some pics with the sparks flying!

Where on the exhaust does it make contact - along side the fraim rails up front? Did the radiator shroud hit, as well?

·
Bad ride inside
509 Posts
Ive scraped my supertrapp once or twice but not hard just barely scraped

·
Registered
112 Posts
rawdog said:
Overall, if you are scraping pegs on this bike you are probably going too fast to ride safely on the streets.
Now I'm not talking 80 mph sweepers. You can ride Deal's Gap in 2nd gear without shifting. I do a lot of mountain riding and love hair pin switchbacks. The Street Rod feels very stable in the corners. 40 degrees of lean angle is great for a Harley but isn't anything crazy....

·
Dr. Laser Guy
997 Posts
Never touched my feelers but another forum member 184 (Phil) had almost completely ground his off on both sides last time I rode with him. We once lost an A (not mine :)) off the side of a mountain road trying to chase him... Watching him fly effortlessly through the curves sealed my decision to eventually purchase an R (that along with other unfortunate circumstances, RIP '03, my old friend).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts