Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Torn here between keeping the black look of the DX, and the extremely dull and boring black exhausts out there. I'm assuming both ceramic coating and jet coating are both dull.

Aren't there any gloss options out there? I'm assuming at the very least the heat shields can be powdercoated, or no?

·
Witty Line Here
3,615 Posts
You can definitely get gloss ceramic coat colors. I've found a few links, pm me if you want them, but you can also search for "chrome ceramic coating" and it will typically bring up ceramic coating in chrome as well as other gloss colors.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent, now I have a starting point. I always assumed that the coating was matte since I have never seen any with any gloss to them.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, both those leads only have satin, not gloss.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
Check out my gallery. I had my D&D ceramic coated. In person there is a little mismatch between the frame and the pipe with the pipe being just a little less gloss than the frame. I would use Jet Hot. I didn't and now the ceramic has come off for the second time.:banghead: I think Jet Hot will have a little more gloss to it and hold up much better.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Doc...

you have similar tastes to mine...I also was all over VIVID black in most cases..

however,after seeing some JETHOT stuff in the shiny black,I changed my mind....you see every tiny imperfection BIGTIME!.....and Im very picky about this stuff...sorta like throwing semi-gloss paint on a poor drywall job!..shows everything!

the SATIN type jethot finish is best IMO....i also hate denims,but satin on the exhaust is IMO a better look...

what I do it,use the s100 or even simply use armor all...ive kept my stock shields looking really nice with this stuff...appied with a spong....keeps is dark,with sheen...same with black motor cyls.

Dan

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$320 to get a set of thunderheaders stripped and glossed black, wow.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
spinedoc said:
$320 to get a set of thunderheaders stripped and glossed black, wow.

Doc....Jethot quoted me 249....either way its all still HWY robbery..damn.

Ill be doing some scuffing of chrome and BBQ paint for awhile Im sure....going broke fast with the new DX!...lol

not too mention TFI box ill need still and filter....gees!

Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey guys, I have a '88 softail with a gloss black powdercoated 2 in 1 Thunderheader on it. It still looks and sounds good. There are a couple of places where the pc has popped off over the years....mostly at sharp bends.....due to expansion and contraction of the metal over the years. From my experience, if you want good, long lasting gloss black powdercoating, do a Thunderheader. I bought a matte black D&D 2 in 1 for my DX because I like the sound of the D&D better...like the look of the Thunderheader for the DX better. But I could not get both on one pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
RaderDX said:
Hey guys, I have a '88 softail with a gloss black powdercoated 2 in 1 Thunderheader on it. It still looks and sounds good. There are a couple of places where the pc has popped off over the years....mostly at sharp bends.....due to expansion and contraction of the metal over the years. From my experience, if you want good, long lasting gloss black powdercoating, do a Thunderheader. I bought a matte black D&D 2 in 1 for my DX because I like the sound of the D&D better...like the look of the Thunderheader for the DX better. But I could not get both on one pipe.
Powdercoat is only good for 250F i believe....so,im thinking there is no way any PC will withstand that.....i would bet with these LEAN 08s that even the heatshields get alot hotter then 250F on their surface....

i think only way to get them coated and have it last is CERAMIC(Jethot is the biggest and I think they back up their work 100% if anything peels of cracks off)

Dan

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
:notworth:

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$249 with the chrome stripping and the heat shields?

ROCKERDAN said:
Doc....Jethot quoted me 249....either way its all still HWY robbery..damn.

Ill be doing some scuffing of chrome and BBQ paint for awhile Im sure....going broke fast with the new DX!...lol

not too mention TFI box ill need still and filter....gees!

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
spinedoc said:
$249 with the chrome stripping and the heat shields?

Doc...Im not positive,i think that price may have only been the pipe itself..

But ,as you know...I can just get away with heatshields,and leave chrome behind(sorta like stock pipes) as you wont see chrome anyway....

I want to see what it looks like with TIP stil chrome...but not sure about that.

dan

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ROCKERDAN said:
Doc...Im not positive,i think that price may have only been the pipe itself..

But ,as you know...I can just get away with heatshields,and leave chrome behind(sorta like stock pipes) as you wont see chrome anyway....

I want to see what it looks like with TIP stil chrome...but not sure about that.

dan
I'm with you on 2 toning it also. I'll have to play around with photoshop and see what it looks like.

I think some careful use of 2 toning, but leaving the bike mostly black is what will make it look good, thats the direction I am going.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts