Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for an option for the stock seat. It suits me fine, but girlfriend thinks the back is to hard. Cant say I blame her. I like the looks of the stock. The Sundowner looks to wide for me. However the custom looks good. But, if the pilon has no improvement then whats the point?
Any ride reports???
Thanks
Sam

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I have a Custom and it does provide the support to cure me of the circus-bear-on-a-bike look. The pillion is not going to be an improvement though -- still a hard ride.

I had a Sundowner -- comfortable by comparison to be sure. But for me it edged me forward -- not good if you're taller than six foot.

If your girlfriend didn't like the stock, the Custom is not much better. The Sundowner will definitely be more comfortable for her.

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I forgot that its 1 inch lower also. I like that. Im 6' and a little lower would be good. Is the custom seat leather or vinyl?
Thanks
Sam
ps- Just checked the weather channel- 57 in Louisville on friday. Woohoo! Ive got 177 break-in miles on my 04 in high 30's weather. Cant help it, got to ride! :ride:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
adamsg not sure but I think it is vinyl on the custom seat and I'll agree with Michael that it is no big improvement on the pillion but for you it is a big improvement.

Max

·
Todd
482 Posts
:soapbox: I am not that cheap but like to do everything myself. My girlfriend also complained about the back seat and I thought my seat was a little hard after riding from Augusta, Ga to Milwaukee for the 100 year. If you are a do it your selfer and love the look of the stock seat like myself then go to www.thepropad.com and check out their gel insets. It was easy to take the seat apart and router a hole for the gel insert to fit. She claims it is much better for the longer rides and man does it feel comfortable for me. I got a large and small pad and they sent it in 3 days. Well thats my :2cents:

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey Todd, did it change the look of the pillion when you put the pad in? In particular, how did you keep the groove in the middle of the pillion when you put the pad in? I too have the custom seat and am interested in making it more comfy for passengers.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I don't know if this is an alternative for many of you but the touring passenger pillion should follow the contour of both the stock and custom seat but it doesn't have the center crease of the custom seat. Perhaps it's a cheap alternative to put this on when you want to carry a passenger?

·
Todd
482 Posts
Craig,
I have the stock seat and liked its looks. I do not have a groove in the pillion.
If you cut into the foam deep enough to make it all level you can't even tell from looking at it. They also give you a thin layer of foam to go over the whole seat before you put the leather back on. It hides any small gaps. I like mine and even thought about how comfy it was riding to work today :ride:

·
miscellaneous debris
282 Posts
Just buy the passenger pillon ....put it on when she rides I have the willie g and It is a huge improvement over stock I put on the passenger pillon when my girlfriend rides with me it doest look that great but she loves it I also put a back rest on for her I feel alot better knowing my presious cargo wont fall off I would hate too explain that to her parents......

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Todd.
Powerline, what passenger pillion did you buy - part number 52023-01A?
This sounds like a good idea as replacing the pillion for when she wants to ride is pretty easy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sam, I installed a Corbin dual touring setup (you get a decent selection of coverings which will affect the $) which also allows removable backrests if you are so inclined. The rider seat is firm but well formed and is actually quite comfortable for long rides. The passenger seat is shaped well so your girl ends up sliding into you as opposed to off the back and it's fairly well padded so that when she IS next to you....she won't be bitching.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What mustangcav said.
I like the corbin dual touring seat for the same reasons.
It's not soft, but well-shaped and comfortable.
Lot's of custom coverings available, also, but mine's just plain black.
the optional backrests are comfortable. I used their big one (as opposed to their small one) and she likes it.
Consider the v-mod rear passenger peg ratchet relocation brackets.
Once her butt is comfortable, you'll hear about her foot position...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts