Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got trapped like a rat today on I45 in Houston from a massive accident and ended up running the bike with the temp light on for about 15 minutes before getting it cooled off. V-gauge lite showed 244F the entire time the light was lit. Any chance it hurt anything? No coolant puked out and the bike never shut off. Cooled down to 209F once things got moving again and I got back up to highway speeds.

I was stuck basically and unable to pull off and shut the bike off. I was in the left lane, there was a concrete wall to my left and bumper to bumper traffic that was moving at about 2 mph. Ambient temps on that road I would guess were in the neighborhood of 110-115F.

Anyway......... is it likely to have hurt anything running it at 244F with the temp light on?

PS the light was not lit at 239F so the light comes on somewhere in the 240+ range.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It focking sucked. It was a fire department ladder truck with it's axles ripped out and about 3 or 4 cars all mangled, the concrete wall was caved in and a few of the vehicles ended up over it and in the HOV lane which isn't open on Saturdays.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this isn't even close to the answer you were looking for, but I know that when Harley was testing their engine and cooling system they would put these bikes in a metal box out in the desert in AZ for hours and hours. They made them to be pretty tough at high temps.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking it's fine. It cooled right off and the light went out once I got moving. I think the heat was just too much for the fans to deal with by themselves. It did start right back up and everything seemed ok once I got parked at home. I run Mobil 1 so I assume the oil would survive unscathed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm assuming you are using the 1130cc board kool-aid err..... I mean Amsoil syn...... however if by chance you are using dino, then it is now due an oil change.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I mentioned I'm using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 (was probably more like a 0 weight today though)

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
I'm hoping the ecm is smart enough to shut the engine down before melt down occurs. Where is MAX when you need him?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was worried about it turning off and me having to push it. It never did, stayed running fine.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
When the ECM sees a coolant temp of 243F it turns on the temp light. I would not worry about it a bit. A MWT my temp light came on a couple times at the track and I kept hot lapping without issue. As a matter of fact, it is going racing again tomorrow.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you!!!! :notworth:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Oddly enough I ran into a guy today who claims his bike was Empty of coolant for about a year before he checked to why his light went on so often (He claims that the Dealership said everything was fine, I dont know about that much incompetence to buy that one 100%) and his is fine. I had it turn on while traveling to Vegas once for about 20 minutes or so on the I-15, its was about 117 on the highway and with the Gurl and I only and a slight incline that was about 10 miles long it went on, went off again once we got over the ridge and never saw any trouble from it. I believe Max stated once that the bike will shut down on its own as NOT to have us idiot owners ruin its motor. (aka Its smarter than us)

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Oddly enough I ran into a guy today who claims his bike was Empty of coolant for about a year before he checked to why his light went on so often (He claims that the Dealership said everything was fine, I dont know about that much incompetence to buy that one 100%) and his is fine. I had it turn on while traveling to Vegas once for about 20 minutes or so on the I-15, its was about 117 on the highway and with the Gurl and I only and a slight incline that was about 10 miles long it went on, went off again once we got over the ridge and never saw any trouble from it. I believe Max stated once that the bike will shut down on its own as NOT to have us idiot owners ruin its motor. (aka Its smarter than us)
Sorry, gotta call BS on that one.

If it was EMPTY of coolant there would be no coolant to transfer the engine heat to the temp sensor. The temp sensor is located on the backside of the thermostat housing and is placed in the path of flow.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least I know others have seen the temp light on and have had no damage. I'm satisfied.

Thanks home skillets.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think these bikes are great. Very bullet proof. I know I get in some traffic with our temps the last few days above 100 and sitting in traffic with the fans going. I'm glad I don't have an air head at the moment. Someday maybe for kicks....lol but will never get rid of the V.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
probably didn`t hurt anything but you might think about an early oil change.. it is possible that the oil temp got hot enough to break the oil down.. just being safe

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
Are you sure both fans were working? I have let mine sit and idle in 115 temp weather and it will cycle the fans but does not go above the 219 degrees where the fans turn on. I did have mine get into the 240 range in Hawaii once when the fan relay went out and the fans were not coming on. If I remember right, once the temp reaches the mid 240's the ECM will increase the idle and richen the mixture to help cool things down and if the temp goes higher it eventually shuts down the engine.

Mike

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I made sure both were running. They were running non stop. I think the issue was lack of air flow being confined between concrete walls and all the other cars and I think the creeping movement was worse than just sitting idling. I probably took a year off the life of the clutch doing that stop, move 50', stop, repeat, routine for 45 minutes. The bike has seen insane high ambient temps here before (every day actually) I think this situation was just worse than anything. The heat index on the road in the sun could conceivably have been 130F. 108F heat indexes are often referenced here and that is not calculated on a black road or in direct sunlight, but is calculated from a shaded spot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts