Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be installing Power Commander tomorrow on my 04 V-Rod and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or helpful hints. Instructions seem to be a bit to simple since most applications never end up as easy as indicated by manufacturer. Setting it up to join the already installed Samson Longslashers & SE filter.
By the way, this forum has been great and wish to continue learning from what appears to be a group mostly obessesed and well versed with the greatest bike available. Thanks to all!!!!
Steven

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
If you have a problem getting the PCIII to fit between the battery and air box, you can notch out the lower & upper air and mount it inside the air box with the supplied velcro strips. see my post under V-Rod EFI thread for instructions (mounting PCIII). I did it on mine and it worked out great and it's easy to get to for tuning or removal and is protected from water, damage, etc.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You might have to play around a little with the routing of the cables once you connect the Power Commander to the ECM. It a little bit of a tight fit with everything under the left side cover.
No big deal.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I had the PC,awhile back.It does take up alot of room under the side louver,but it all does fit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would recommend getting a dyno tune from a GOOD tuner. It made a BIG difference in mine over using the map included. Did you get the PCIII R or the PCIII USB? I got the USB and I'm very happy with it. Bill

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
IMHO, Get your money back and invest in a E.F.I. Race tuner from H-D. The PCIII will only give you problems in the long run. When you are broke down in the middle of BFE don't cry, I told you so. IMHO. Later SKI.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Just installed mine tonight with the SE air filter it will fit just play around with different ways the put the wires in. I bought the PC off this site for a fraction of what the RT would cost may go to it later but like the new pull.
Ski your killing me. Oh well hope it works out allot of guy's on this site have been running them for awhile. :eek: :eek: :jeannie:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tonight I installed the Power Commander USB on my VRSCB MFR date 02/04 and had problems. The instruction video and directions show an 02 or 03 model with a different wiring scheme, with no plastic bracket that has been added to the new models. This piece is attached to the side of the battery for holding the wire connectors in place and leaves no extra space on the side for the Power Commander as they instruct. Rearranging the wires and attaching the PC on the side simply wont work on this new model. I ended up shoving it up near the top by the fork and having to go "topless" when I intended not to. It feels like a kluge. I will check out what mustanggt said about "notching out" his airbox cover. This doesnt give me a high degree of confidence about Dynojet's engineering if they haven't done their homework on the install on the latest model. I also installed the VMOD Stock pipes tonight and SE Air Filter. First impression of the VMODS are wow they are loud...maybe too loud. I need earplugs now for any kind of run over 10 minutes. I do love the rumble but I value my hearing, I will try them out for awhile and see if I have to go back to stock, purchase some se slip ons or vmod some se slip ons or maybe go to d and d's. The VMOD folks (who were great BTW) downloaded the map I need onto the PC USB for me. I also immediately noticed a lack of acceleration on the low end in first and second. It seemed flatter than the stock pipes with no extras. I also noticed a distinct smell of more carbon monoxide without the baffles. I also noticed that for a short run of 8-9 miles the gas level dropping even more quickly. Do I have the right map for this set up?

VRSCB 04
VMOD Stock Pipes
Power Commander USB
SE Air Filter
Topless

They downloaded Map 809-020 and said that it shouldnt matter if I run topless or not.
Is there a different map for topless verses not topless for this setup? Am I screwing up the brain on the bike like the stealer told me I would by doing this setup? Are these symptoms common? Am I runnign to rich? Is there not enough back pressure now to create the early acceleration I was used to in the stock set up?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Owenwil,

With your configuration you're throwing money out the tailpipe with the PCIII. None of the "stock" tunes seem to have been done on a brake dyno at various throttle positions. Everything is calibrated at WOT on an inertial dyno, a condition your bike only sees about 5% of the time. Those number changes in the lower throttle positions are extrapolations (unless your tuner used the new DJ250i with the automated interface, that's a good setup but not a lot of tuners have it). See if you can get your money back and install a Techlusion / DFO / HD Race Fueler.

None of you in this thread need the power of the Race Tuner, a fuel enrichment device is all you need to keep the bike happy and it's less than half the price both to own and tune.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you mjw390. I appreciate your experience in this matter. Can I hear from other people in the forum regarding my conudrun with Power commander, the right map, running topless, low gas mileage, really LOUD Vmods etc....thinking about going back to quiet, unadulterated stock tomorrow....

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Owenwil I am haveing some of the same issues when I twist the throttle it seems to pull ok but it does smell like it is running rich and I had a problem with the 020 map with the bike dieing it was to chunky on the low end so Dynojet sent me a modified 020 map put it in this week but haven't been on a long ride yet but is better at idle. When I ask what was different in the map.

Thanks will try it. What is different about this map

Chad

The idle and low throttle/rpm areas have been made leaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
thanks runit..real solutions. now thats what I'm talking about. I also want to talk to Val who mentioend a similar fix in a similar thread.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Owenwil, yup, I have a simlar setup - stock vmods, K&N, but I run with my top on. When I first got the PCIIIr and stock v-mods, I noticed a significant decrease in my gas mileage, like down to 35-38 mpg. After I had my 10k service, my DH noticed I was belching black smoke out of my pipes on hard acceleration and I noticed a big increase in the "eau d'vrod." I don't know what the shop did in the10k service that made a difference, however.

I talked to our mentors here and called ChopperSteve at Mainstreet Motorcycles, who said the original 020 map was created on a bike running topless, which would account for the rich condition. So, after some angst, I ended up taking the bike in for a dyno tune and had the tech focus on increasing my gas mileage in the custom map. My custom map is SIGNIFICANTLY leaner than the 020 map, but I ended up with a satisfactory increase in power and much, much better gas mileage - still with the top on. My map would be too lean to run topless.

I don't remember if Chad is running with his top on or off, which we should know before you try out his map. And, if you try mine, you definitely need to keep your top on.

Both before and after I had my pipes v-modded, the bike would NOT run at idle. I took the ERC and doing all those low-speed maneuvers on the v-rod was QUITE a challenge trying to keep it from stalling out. It was idling just fine once I had the custom map done. However, I'm having some trouble getting my bike to start without a big hunk of throttle now, after my excessive bike clean-up job earlier in the week. I'll be asking for input on that in another thread here soon.

I have started wearing earplugs this season, only in part because of the deafening roar of the stock v-mods -- which I love. Mostly it's because I wear a half-helmet in warm weather and my ears don't like the wind all that well.

If I were in your shoes, I'd give Chad's map a try, as long as he's also running topless. If you want more gas mileage, you could put the top back on and use mine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Power Commander? Techlusion? DFO?

Ok, I'm a new V-Rod owner (2004) and I love reading about everyones experience before I start modifying. But now I'm confused. I'll likely be changing pipes and intake. My dealer says he can remap my stock profile. Power Commander says the dealer remap is only for top end and that their PCIII USB will give better performance over the full rpm range. I've read here that the PC is not good enough, that I should go with a Techlusion or DFO, etc.

So, I'm looking for more input. Is the dealer remap best? What's the big difference between the PC, Techlusion and DFO? I've seen where I can download maps for the PC, do you do the same for Techlusion and DFO?

You guys seem to really be on the ball - so I'd appreciate it if you share your knowledge and opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mitchell, Go with the PC. I got 103hp with the DFO and 116hp with the PCIII USB. I have the K&N filter and a SuperTrapp exhaust. The PC also cured my stalling problem. I would also advise a dynotune with whatever you choose. Every bike is different and using a map designed for another bike will not got you the optimum for your bike. Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts