Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my used '02 (800 miles on it) next week. Can anyone who has one comment on problems I should be looking for? Battery age occured to me, but the guy kept it on trickle all the time. No visible leaks, but then he washed it before I looked it over. Just want to know what to keep an eye on for the first 500 miles.

Thanks in advance--

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was talking to a guy with an '02 yesterday and he was saying that he went through like 5 gaskets and 2 covers (was leaking oil). Also he was having problems about the water pump (spitting out coolant out of a small hole that is there, facing back. Oh ya, also his front axle nut came out while he was riding. The wheel did not come off because the rod is kind of pinched in there but is something to watch. Other than that he is very happy with his bike.

hope this helps,
V-Rod Lady :ride:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have an 02 and have none of those issues, have over 10,000 miles and get just a tad over 40 mpg. Now the fuel gage isn't very accurate but that seem to be a common complaint among V-Rod owners. Now I do keep an eye on the head bolt torque and the front axel nut and that is recommend for all V-Rod owners due to the 38 degree rake. But over all I'd buy another one in a heart beat, fast smooth and dependable. But that is a real good idea to also purchase his trickle charger or get one you can extend battery life by 2x to 3x usual with one.

Hope this helps,

I also run Mobil 1 synthetic V-Twin motorcycle oil in it.

Dave

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
I have a 6-02 build-date on my bike. I have noticed a tiny drop of oil collecting at the back of the valve cover - but this seems to have disappeared, especially since I had the 10K service done (and the dealer put on new gaskets) - its not a real hazard, but it does need an eye kept on it.

I've also had the front axle nut come loose. I bought a 24mm combination wrench, and I check it periodically. I haven't noticed any reoccurence - but again, not something you should ignore.

In many respects the 02 V-Rods were surprisingly trouble-free. I put this down to good engineering, an extensive pre-release testing program, and good Quality Control.

A bike that has sat for most of the past two years is unlikely to have too many problems. To my knowledge there should not be any outstanding recall or service bulletins on this bike. I'd be most concerned about the battery - but if its been on a battery tender, it should be no worse than for any other bike of that vintage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts