Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
I think it's the fact we don't want to be suckers. We know there is nothing magic about the Harley Label. We know they don't make there own fluids they just pay manufacturers to stick their label on the same old stuff you can get at autozone. If their antifreeze is not "Prestone Extended Life Quickfill" than I'm a monkeys uncle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vroddrew- in a moment of 'cheapness' (no I didn't put in tap water !) I topped up with Prestone's Dex-Cool pre-mix (about 2 ozs). I think that's a type 2 (without silicates) but I'm concerned about compatibility with HD's. Should I be concerned ?

·
LIVE FULL THROTTLE
1,385 Posts
After my 1000mile service, on the way to Sturgis last year, I noticed the Coolant reserve was low....Stopped at Rapid City HD....none on hand. so...PRE-MIx is Pre-Mix ..PRESTONE went in...(SILICATE FREE)...still there....make sure it is a PREMIX....HD does not make "ANTIFREEZE", Prestone does....Bottom line ...not all dealers carry VRSC parts,..WHY...is it shelf-life???In Sturgis,my oil level was low....(NOT ON STICK)..200 miles after the 1000mile service....That was my last HD Service...

·
Registered
95 Posts
RE: coolant

Hey! everybody
The coolant is simply DEX-COOL,just mix it with de-ionized water so that you don't cause electrolosis in your motor.Add some REDline water wetter to reduce the boiling point for more cooling, if you like. Don't forget to bleed the system.

Vrodr

·
4,638 Posts
SKIROD said:
You Guy's! This is why I will always have a job. Good Luck! Later Ski.

SKI.....
Wet Mop on aisle 3 .......
:cheers:

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
VrodG said:
Ski if we missed something let us know.

No you did not miss anything. :thumb: I just wanted people to know there is a difference. Oil is Oil Right? So you could run 50W in your bike. It's not good but you can. You could probilly run Olive Oil in it too. But how long would the motor last? :blahblah: This is my point with the coolant. Run what you want to in it. But when it breaks, don't come crying to me about it. :bash: If what you are running works? Fine. But internal damage can not be seen until it's too late. Sorry to upset anyone, but remember I do work at a Dealership, and my beliefs are stong on HD Coolant. Later Ski.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Ski - I'm just playing devil's advocate here...I use the HD stuff...
I was told by one of your colleagues at the Salinas, CA dealership that I should go buy the GM antifreeze because it's exactly the same product and it's cheaper. He has been to the V-Rod classes and is their main go-to guy for V-Rods. So, if we hear this from "qualified" HD techs, what are we supposed to believe? The real lesson here is that HD has done a poor job building our trust and some folks are hesitant to believe whatever the Motor Co is preaching. Just my $.02

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Crash said:
The real lesson here is that HD has done a poor job building our trust and some folks are hesitant to believe whatever the Motor Co is preaching. Just my $.02
I had completely forgotten about this thread.

I'll agree with you that H-D has done a less-than-perfect job getting all of their dealers and technicians onboard as far as the V-Rod and its servicing is concerned. A lot of us have been "guinea pigs" for the first service customers at our dealerships. And there is no doubt that H-D branded products are rarely the cheapest out there. Whether or not this is necessarily bad is another thing entirely. You can buy an H-D branded part or accessory and have a pretty high degree of confidence that it is at least going to work with your bike, and isn't going to cause any problems. Think of all the people who bought aftermarket aluminum sprockets - only to discover they wore out within a year or two, and caused all sorts of rubbing problems along the way.

I have no idea what specific topics are covered at the Technician Training sessions at HDU (Harley-Davidson University) - but I'd be pretty confident that no instructor there would tell a student it was OK to use a coolant not specifically recommended by the factory.

Its a cliche in the risk-management business, but the old saying "Don't Risk a Lot, just to save a Little" certainly holds true in this case. If you need to top up or change your coolant - buy the H-D stuff.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
vroddrew said:
Are you people that darn cheap?

The gallon jug of the H-D coolant has a list price of $8.95 (the bike has a capacity of 2.5 quarts). Maybe you can buy the GM stuff for a couple of dollars less - but why?

At most you need to replace the coolant every two years.

Stick a crowbar in your wallets and buy the H-D stuff. If you can't afford $5 a year for coolant you shouldn't be riding a $20,000 motorcycle.
:stupid: , :hidesbeh:

·
LIVE FULL THROTTLE
1,385 Posts
The Real Bottom line is ....If you Need a HD Product...The Dealerships should have it on hand ....

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Don't use DeIonized water, use distilled. DI water can cause aluminum to corrode rather rapidly. We're seeing at work now. All of our water distillation systems were replaced with DI systems over the last 10 years and we are replacing sections of aluminum tubing that had been in place for 15-30 years with out problems.
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
OKIE said:
"the next thing you know we'll have people dumping Prestone in there."
I'm running Prestone extended life. I'll post an update in ten years.
I just changed out the coolant in my '01 Chrysler PT Cruiser and my wife's '01 Toyota ECHO using the Prestone 5 year/100,000 mile Extended life coolant. Prestone recommends a blend of 50 to 70% coolant to water (I used reverse osmosis purified water). I blended it right in the middle at 60%. I have enough left over for the VROD. Should I use it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
o2man98 said:
There is a reason Dex-Cool is also called Death-Cool. It has eaten many a gasket.

My thoughts = Go Green.
I totally agree. Thanks to Dex-Cool I've been doing a ton of GM V6 intake manifold gaskets. I shouldn't complain tho. I love the dollars those jobs generate. Thank you GM for Dex-Cool!!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Whats with all the :sad: about coolant. Use what you want cause if you don’t have a authorized service tech install it and have a record of the work done your screwed! I put the braided hoses and chrome thermostat hsg.on and went to O’Rileys and bought their premixed ‘’Green’’ extended life antifreeze and refilled with that. I also went to Wal-mart and bought my sparkplugs, Champion powersport 8809’s. Have I been a bad boy or what? :bash: I hope I don’t go to hell because of this. :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts